Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Some cool finds from the El Paso/Las Cruces market...

1989 El Paso Press Club Blooper Reel:

KVIA Open from 1989 (Spirit of Texas):

1991 El Paso Press Club Blooper Reel:

KVIA Open from 1994 (Reeks of WSVN and Bill Ratner):

KDBC Open from 1997 (Wall to Wall and Ratner... oh boy):

KDBC Open from 1998:

KVIA Talent Rejoin 1999 (With the Score ABC Affiliate Pack):

KDBC Open from 1999:

I think most of those individual opens are taken from NewsActive 3's compilations. Great stuff though.

The 1990 EP Press Club Blooper Reel:

Still scratching my head over what the warbled KDBC theme at 10:26 actually is.

I think most of those individual opens are taken from NewsActive 3's compilations. Great stuff though.

The 1990 EP Press Club Blooper Reel:

Still scratching my head over what the warbled KDBC theme at 10:26 actually is.

I've made an attempt at correcting the pitch in Audacity:

http://cl.ly/3Z0d2U3I0P1X/KDBC%201990%20CORRECTED%20PITCH.mp3

I won't submit this to the NMSA unless I get some assurance that it sounds normal. I used the voiceover as a sort of basis to do the work.

- This video file contains a number of news stories from 1986 concerning the FNB purchase of BBT. One clip to note is a KSLA news open from that year. You can see it at 6:09.

Nice job KnoxvilleTVFan! Hopefully in time some additional KSLA clips will pop up from the mid to late 80's showing off more of what they did. If memory doesn't fail me, KSLA unseated KTBS in the 80's in the ratings around this period, due to their launch of the "Project Pride" campaign that began and lasted throughout much of the early 90's.

Nice job KnoxvilleTVFan! Hopefully in time some additional KSLA clips will pop up from the mid to late 80's showing off more of what they did. If memory doesn't fail me, KSLA unseated KTBS in the 80's in the ratings around this period, due to their launch of the "Project Pride" campaign that began and lasted throughout much of the early 90's.

What *was* Project Pride, anyway?

Also, a non-news item: short-lived Richmond independent WVRN-63 in 1986 with JAM's "

" (the one WJZ commissioned).

And KBTX from 1985 with a jingle of "

". Sounds like Tuesday to me.

What *was* Project Pride, anyway?

Also, a non-news item: short-lived Richmond independent WVRN-63 in 1986 with JAM's "

" (the one WJZ commissioned).

Recalling as much as possible, apparently there were some riot and race issues that were heightened in the area during that time. I do not remember what sparked the divide and exactly what the issues were that prompted the station to stand up and take the advocacy role that they did. I once had a conversation with Mike Thomas? Believe Thomas was his last name, who was the Marketing Director there during that launch and with the GM sometime in the early 90's. They both told me pretty much something along the lines of what I've mentioned. They both shared how it had major impact and was a boom to their ratings both in news and outside of news programming.

All going by memory here - Building Pride, which Shelly Palmer produced a news package and image campaign for in the early 90's, originally started as "Project Pride - Taking/Building Pride in the Ark-La-Tex" in the mid to late 80's. It was the station's answer to unite the community and push for positive change. The campaign was focused on public service, special news projects and was used heavily as a promotional tool. In the early 90's it transformed into the Building Pride era with the Shelly Palmer music and image campaigns.

A very vintage WAGA clip from 1964:

WSB from 1980 (previously unknown news theme?):

Many other great clips on this guy's channel.

Nice find. Another interesting clip from his account is this compilation of WAGA promos and reports about the 1980 Atlanta affiliation switch:

KDLH 1987. Man, this open is not great visually:

A CKCK (Regina, SK) News Service update from 1988. Is that a Tuesday package? Never heard it before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNbC5aCS8vw

A KAMR 5-second promo from 1986 with the WLKY/KAMR unknown theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BB4-fJqzU

KTGF, 1986 with "Energy II" from Network:

WISH, 1989 with Non-Stop's First News. Earliest use of theme by WISH:

[yt]f4OBX6h1a_4[/yt]

Never saw this before-- this was KABC in L.A. back in July of '83 (7/20/83, to be exact)-- back when I was 2 years old. This was, IINM, back when KABC EWN (as were a lot of ABC network programs) was done from the ABC Television Center (a.k.a. The Prospect Studios).

WJBF with a close from 1989. This theme is completely unknown to us:

And continuing the theme, a WTVR 1996 news story on the Media General acquisition of Park Communications: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=WJBF%201996&sm=3

Did I hear that correctly? At 0:22 did that guy say "Get that s**t outta here?"

So anyways, I uploaded a couple more 1990s news updates

WJBK Eyewitness Newsbreak from 1991

WDTN Morning Report February 7, 1994

I'm in love, I'm in love! WCSC 1995 "Live 5 Newshour" open with a new theme, the awesome voice of Don Harrison and great video work!

Awesome discovery! In hearing the close, the rhythm instrumentation sounds close to SAM's Wall to Wall Breaking News cut. May be a custom theme package he created for them. If not, then it's most likely a synth rhythm preset that someone else used.

To hear what I'm talking about, go check out NewsMusicNow and click on the breaking news audio clip from Wall to Wall News.

Awesome discovery! In hearing the close, the rhythm instrumentation sounds close to SAM's Wall to Wall Breaking News cut. May be a custom theme package he created for them. If not, then it's most likely a synth rhythm preset that someone else used.

To hear what I'm talking about, go check out NewsMusicNow and click on the breaking news audio clip from Wall to Wall News.

They did use Stravinsky from 1997 on and other SAM packages until 2008.

Charleston can be a hard market to build a news music history. I think a lot of material got wiped out when Hurricane Hugo made a direct hit on the city and so it is very, very hard to get Charleston material from before 1989. In the 80s we have one WCBD open, some WCSC Hello jingles, and that's it. No WCIV. No other opens. The only reason we know WCSC used MCTYW is because someone posted on a video of MCTYW that they remembered it being used on the station (and I found the comment and referred it to the NMSA).

They did use Stravinsky from 1997 on and other SAM packages until 2008.

Charleston can be a hard market to build a news music history. I think a lot of material got wiped out when Hurricane Hugo made a direct hit on the city and so it is very, very hard to get Charleston material from before 1989. In the 80s we have one WCBD open, some WCSC Hello jingles, and that's it. No WCIV. No other opens. The only reason we know WCSC used MCTYW is because someone posted on a video of MCTYW that they remembered it being used on the station (and I found the comment and referred it to the NMSA).

Very true, I did not factor in Hugo and the fact that so much is left unknown in that market. Yeah, I checked out their NMSA entry and it looks like besides MCTYW that they primarily stuck with Gari and Arnold. Guess it's not too far-fetched to think that it may be SAM since they used him from 1997-2008 with confirmed packs.

Great find! WCSC actually started using Stravinsky in late 95 or early 96...

. The jazzy early 90s theme was in use until at least 1993, so this must have been the theme used in between. And I definitely heard an Arnold vibe. I instantly recognized the Wall to Wall breaking news cut connection (WNCT used it for stingers). The whole thing sounds very similar to Newsleader.

Here's another cut from a satirical/fake WCSC promo from 94:

Great find! WCSC actually started using Stravinsky in late 95 or early 96...

. The jazzy early 90s theme was in use until at least 1993, so this must have been the theme used in between. And I definitely heard an Arnold vibe. I instantly recognized the Wall to Wall breaking news cut connection (WNCT used it for stingers). The whole thing sounds very similar to Newsleader.

Here's another cut from a satirical/fake WCSC promo from 94:

Now that I'm hearing this this morning I completely agree that this is Stephen Arnold. But how did an Arnold package from the 90s manage to go undercover for so long? I bet we're talking about a "WCSC Custom News Package" here.