Classic Pittsburgh Opens!

jestbiteme

Hat tip to Jordan and http://www.theburghblog.com for finding these!

WTAE Mid-90s

(Using a Gari Slutty Theme custom! And I guess we now know where the droplet effect in the weather transition comes from.)

[yt=425,350]xB9F1nX8dns[/yt]

KDKA, 1993. The venerable Stacy Smith and our own Patti Burns.

Check out those cuts of Advantage!

[yt=425,350]IJAMavnjTA8&NR[/yt]

KDKA, 1996 and 1998ish. (More Advantage, and the debut of the current custom!) Speaking of slutty, KDKA was under the reign of Gary Cozen and Al Blinke. Tried to be hard hitting and tabloidy, and it was not recieved well.

[yt=425,350]HaRhow5guUc&NR[/yt]

Here's WPXI just for the hell of it, I didn't watch them then and don't now, butit's worth it for the mention of (WNBC's) Asa Aaron's tax series.

[yt=425,350]C8bgicfy5AM&NR[/yt]

I'm thinking the clip of KDKA has to be it's highwater mark--back when it was the flagship of Group W. I don't think KDKA has had a music/graphics package as nice since.

Does anyone have any idea why KDKA decided to stop the "Eyewitness News" branding?

The Channel 4 opening brings back memories. Does anyone remember what the ratings where for Channel 4 when Don Cannon and Sally Wiggin were the lead anchors?

Just to give a little history on that 1993 KDKA look...

The metallic 3D look that you saw on KTRK/KGO/WABC/KABC at various points from about 1986-1990 originated at what was called the 'ABC Video Design Group.' In '91/92, Harry Fuller., the news director of KGO moved over to KPIX (Group W station) to relaunch their newscast, and at the same time the KGO/ABC-style look came with him, along with the switch to blue sets at most of the Group Ws. Now whether it was him bringing the look, or Group W management trying to bring everything about the ABC O&Os over (including the news director), I don't know, but the connection is deliberate.

That KDKA open is a dead ringer for KTRK, with the little meteor dashing through the sky and logo turning to reveal a video window within the numeral.

As to how WPXI, an NBC affiliate, got the KTRK look, I don't know. Maybe the design group syndicated in markets where an ABC O&O didn't exist.

Speaking of slutty, KDKA was under the reign of Gary Cozen and Al Blinke.

Not to mention the News Director previous to Mr. Blinke, Sue McInerney, the person who FORCED Patti Burns out of KD, ending 46 years of a Burns anchoring and reporting the News at KDKA Television. >:(

• 4 months later...

[yt=425,350]hckLTFZHj6c[/yt]

a relatively clean KD morning open

[yt=425,350]fIypfTZNtZs[/yt]

A promo for the westmoreland bureau

[yt=425,350]nluLHtLhRpo[/yt]

A 6PM promo when Eyewitness News was "Always taking the lead".

KDKA's Open is also a dead ringer for KABC and possibly KGO. KABC used a very similar open complete with the solid gold colors in 1988-1990. Plus that scrolling giant Eyewitness News graphic was used on KABC, though it was superimposed over the moonlit background. You gotta see it.

KDKA's Open is also a dead ringer for KABC and possibly KGO. KABC used a very similar open complete with the solid gold colors in 1988-1990. Plus that scrolling giant Eyewitness News graphic was used on KABC, though it was superimposed over the moonlit background. You gotta see it.

If you read the entire thread, you'll see why.

(http://www.tvnewstalk.net/forum/index.php/topic,1027.msg9776.html#msg9776)

Archived