"TV Junkie" is a must see

NewzPimpin

I just happened upon one of the most moving, shocking and interesting programs on TV while channel surfing. It's an HBO special called "TV Junkie", and it tells the story of TV reporter and former senior correspondent for "Inside Edition" Rick Kirkham. The viewer is taken on a journey throught the adult life of a man from Oklahoma City who decided to embark on a career in television news, eventually becoming a nationally known journalist seen by millions of people on a daily basis.

We are also told the story of a man who simply cannot control his appetite for drugs and alcohol. Most of the successes in his life are ruined by his addictions.

But the thing that set this program apart from anything I've seen is the fact that Rick recorded most of his transgressions on videotape in the form of multimedia diary entries, you could say. He records many pivotal moments in his life: his first entry into rehab, the birth of his children, him losing his job at "Inside Edition" and him actually smoking crack on camera, among other things. He is usually pointing the camera at himself as the events of his life are happening to him.

Drugs really screwed the guy's life up; seriously. The viewer, literally, gets a first hand view at what costs one pays when they become addicted to drugs.

The program envokes a complete spectrum of emotions: joy, pain, pity, embarrasment, anger and sadness. It also offers hope, that people can realize the real priorities in their lives and learn to live with other people in mind and not just for themselves.

I have no idea when this will be back on TV; like I said, I just happened upon it on HBO2. Anyway, it is very interesting and I think anyone with an interest in TV news will enjoy it.

Wow. By the description above, it's really compelling.

I have no idea when this will be back on TV; like I said, I just happened upon it on HBO2. Anyway, it is very interesting and I think anyone with an interest in TV news will enjoy it.

From hbo.com: (all times ET/PT)

TV Junkie

Friday, March 16 10:00 PM HBO2

Tuesday, March 20 12:40 AM HBO Signature

Thursday, March 22 12:30 AM HBO

Tuesday, March 27 1:10 AM HBO

Guest Former Member 207

I watched it last night, and all I can say is....wow. If it wasn't an actual real-life documentary, this would make one hell of a made-for-TV movie. How a guy (or anyone else for that matter) can throw away everything he worked for and destroys not only himself, but his family, is truly unbelievable. In a very small way, I feel for Kirkham (and those like him) who get caught up on drugs and alcohol, but I have no sympathy for anyone who willingly and knowingly let themselves get destroyed because they want to have a "good time". Trust me, I can speak from experience...I've seen members of my own family get high and get drunk. I do drink on occasion, and only in the privacy of my own surroundings, but I've never did a drug any day of my 27 years of life.

That Kirkham documentary is truly reality television.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived