Bartelstein fired

Colortini

Was he on this morning?

Didn't WCBS once express interest in bringing him over? If he is fired, could this support the idea that qwertywcbs has, that Dana and Jim are finished? [i do think that there's going to be another big shake up in store, but what/where will it be?] Interesting.

his bio is gone from wabc.com

Well, Steve was a no-call / no-show for yesterday's (Monday) broadcast.

No doubt the daylight savings had something to do with it - but, he was only given one last chance.

Don't coun't him out yet. He'll be back.

his bio is gone from wabc.com

Well, Steve was a no-call / no-show for yesterday's (Monday) broadcast.

No doubt the daylight savings had something to do with it - but, he was only given one last chance.

Don't coun't him out yet. He'll be back.

The news bio and picture is indeed definitely gone from http://www.7online.com And this morning Joe Torres did not say that he was "In for Steve Bartelstiein" niether. If what you said is true, hopefully he'll return since the Daily News' Richard Huff would've been the first to report on this as well.

If not then, this is just really unfortunate. They did do it at the right time though, right after sweeps, being that there is no substantial competition, they have untill May 2007 to find someone who will effectively replace Bartelstein and bring back the ratings that will likely plummet as a result of this. It seems that he has been a constant problem for the station a lot lately, anything that is a problem has to be taken care of and apparently WABC has finally done this, who can blame them after all if all of these rumors are true about him?

Overall, this is really just too bad and extremely unfortunate for the station, because ratings will likely plummet as a result of this. People loved waking up in the mornings to watch Steve and Lori as they simply had the perfect chemistry together in the mornings. Good Day New York or NewsChannel 4 may perhaps finally once again win the race against WABC in the mornings. I also noticed that they have kinda stopped airing the Eyewitness News This Morning Promos as well, and they also stopped airing the new graphic promos with the whole Eyewitness News Team in which Bartelstein was a part of.

I guess Phil Lipoff will probably take his place for the weekday mornings, and they'll probably have Jeff Pegues or Jeff Rosen (More than likely it'll be Rosen) as a replacement for the weekend mornings now.

-Vlad

Wasn't Lipof brought in particularly as a "shadow" for Bartelstein after his last few "absences"???

And he's already filled in for Steve temporarily, so the permanent spot is just a few heartbeats away, no doubt.

Lipoff is a great talent (and stopped wearing those horrible shirts), do you think they'd give him weekday mornings or weekend nights?

And shit: WABC should hire Reid Lamberty to pick up the slcak!!!

I'm sure this is a case of an employer having had enough of an employee. Disney has put up a lot with him over the years, and has been costly to them. I can't feel sorry for Barlestein, he was warned and given chance after chance. If its a DST issue, that is no excuse considering the degree of publicity and that he is in the news business He is an adult and needs to be responsible for his actions, just like the rest of us. WABC will definitely recover, they have a good talent pool.

If you look back through the history on the board, you'll see where I mentioned that Phil Lipof was hired as Steve's replacement.

It was only a matter of time - they just needed to make sure that Lipof could hold his own in New York, which he has done with flying colors.

Look for an official announcement soon, but yes, it will soon be Eyewitness News with Lori Stokes and Phil Lipof.

The Jeff's will get the weekend morning slot.

What reaction do you guys think, the viewers would have on this matter? Could WABC stay on the top in the mornings or will WNBC's Today in NY take advantage? i'm thinking it could be the latter situation. It's so weird that Bartelstein seem indifferent about having a job or not. You would of thought he learned his lesson when he got suspended.

and nynewsguy, what happened to those graphics? Are they changing over to it when Lipof's position is announced?

What reaction do you guys think, the viewers would have on this matter? Could WABC stay on the top in the mornings or will WNBC's Today in NY take advantage? i'm thinking it could be the latter situation. It's so weird that Bartelstein seem indifferent about having a job or not. You would of thought he learned his lesson when he got suspended.

and nynewsguy, what happened to those graphics? Are they changing over to it when Lipof's position is announced?

When you have a substance addiction as bad as Steve does, you don't learn your lesson until you hit absolute rock bottom, or die. I wish him nothing but the best, and really hope that he takes some time off to seek some help. He's a nice guy, with a great personality, but rarely sees a drug-free moment.

As for the graphics, they're coming - there's a lot of upheaval going on at the station right now. Kenny Plotnick, the news director is getting fired soon too as soon as a replacement is decided upon. This isn't a big secret, even he basically knows. Once things settle down, the new graphics and music will come.

I believe that WNBC now has a chance to climb the ladder and become number one in their morning news once again. Good Day New York even has the chance, the banter in the mornings is just really funny, lol. Viewers don't look for seriousness during morning broadcasts. WNBC seems to be a bit serious in the mornings, but Good Day New York may have the advantage.

-Vlad

When you have a substance addiction as bad as Steve does, you don't learn your lesson until you hit absolute rock bottom, or die. I wish him nothing but the best, and really hope that he takes some time off to seek some help. He's a nice guy, with a great personality, but rarely sees a drug-free moment.

As for the graphics, they're coming - there's a lot of upheaval going on at the station right now. Kenny Plotnick, the news director is getting fired soon too as soon as a replacement is decided upon. This isn't a big secret, even he basically knows. Once things settle down, the new graphics and music will come.

What exactly was this substance that he was addicted to? And more importantly why would WABC hire someone who is a drug addict?

-Vlad

Archived