WNBC's News 4 You - How Was It?

Vlad

There were a couple of technical glitches in the beginning. The set looked pretty good and the graphics were nice. At least they are doing something different than anyone else. I was somewhat bored only because Perri Peltz bores me.

Yes, it was a bit sloppy. I hope it gets better. I really do like the concept. I felt that they were trying to do too much in just 30 mins, there was a shot where Perri kept looking at either a director or clock. Yesterday's show resembles the day time disaster iVillageLive, without the plug for Calphon products. I believe someone mentioned that i think Chicago had the same format, and it was doing good. Does anyone know how similar the two formats are, for instance, is there a cooking segment?

How many more "daytime" type TV shows do we need? How many more cooking segments can we watch?

This is all getting so stale and repetitive. Between the same court shows and the same "lifestyle" shows, TV is so awful during the day.

what was the set & graphics? any screen caps? is it from a different studio?

They look very nice, my only complain is how things like the tables and chair look flimsy. Like during today's broadcast, when Asa Aarons was doing his consumer reports, he was rocking back and forth a bit, and you can also see the back of the set moved as well.

Does Asa seem nervous to you guys? He seemed like he was mch more at ease when he was on the news desk.

My thoughts on the broadcast are mixed. I think the concept of putting the fluff stories together is a smart move. Maybe it will take time to get a flow going. I notice that I enjoy Perri Peltz's reporting when it is pre recorded, but her live pieces stink. Someone must be telling Asa to change his style. He does seem very stiff and kind of confused.

The set looks like a couple of flats placed in front of the interview set. The studio must be one big room because Perri and Sue Simmons were yelling across the studio during todays cooking segment.

Maybe they will get a routine together for the show.. maybe not. Perri may not be the best choice to anchor that show. I want to see it work out, but it may take time.

Got good numbers. I wonder if it will hold after a few days of sampling.

Sticks WCBS deeper in the hole after losing 1/3 of it's Judy lead in :D:

WNBC's Revamped Newscast does well in the ratings

5 p.m.

WABC: 7.1/17

WNBC: 3.2/08 (coming from an "Ellen" 0.9/2 lead-in)

WCBS: 3.1/08 ("Judge Judy" lead-in was 4.6/11)

WXTV: 2.7/06 "Primer Impacto"

WNJU: 1.6/04 "Al Rojo Vivo con Maria Celeste"

WWOR: 1.1/03 "Tyra Banks"

WNYW: 1.0/02

WPIX: 1.0/02 "Friends"

5:30:

WABC: 5.8/13

WNBC: 4.7/10 News 4 You

WXTV: 3.0/07

WCBS: 2.8/06

WNJU: 1.6/04

WNYW: 1.4/03

WPIX: 1.1/02 "My Wife and Kids"

WWOR: 1.1/02 "Tyra Banks"

Got good numbers. I wonder if it will hold after a few days of sampling.

Sticks WCBS deeper in the hole after losing 1/3 of it's Judy lead in :D:

WNBC's Revamped Newscast does well in the ratings

5 p.m.

WABC: 7.1/17

WNBC: 3.2/08 (coming from an "Ellen" 0.9/2 lead-in)

WCBS: 3.1/08 ("Judge Judy" lead-in was 4.6/11)

WXTV: 2.7/06 "Primer Impacto"

WNJU: 1.6/04 "Al Rojo Vivo con Maria Celeste"

WWOR: 1.1/03 "Tyra Banks"

WNYW: 1.0/02

WPIX: 1.0/02 "Friends"

5:30:

WABC: 5.8/13

WNBC: 4.7/10 News 4 You

WXTV: 3.0/07

WCBS: 2.8/06

WNJU: 1.6/04

WNYW: 1.4/03

WPIX: 1.1/02 "My Wife and Kids"

WWOR: 1.1/02 "Tyra Banks"

Thats bad for WCBS they lost some of their audience at 5:30 while WNBC gain at News 4 You if this statistics is true.

Wow.. these News 4 You numbers are amazing... how... not possible.

According to that, the difference in viewers between News 4 You and Live at 5 is almost that of the WABC and WCBS's losses from 5 to 5:30.

I didn't like the show when I saw it yesterday.

I especially hated Live at 5. Too cramp. Sports at 5:22? Thats absurd! It felt too rushed as well.

My thoughts on the broadcast are mixed. I think the concept of putting the fluff stories together is a smart move. Maybe it will take time to get a flow going. I notice that I enjoy Perri Peltz's reporting when it is pre recorded, but her live pieces stink. Someone must be telling Asa to change his style. He does seem very stiff and kind of confused.

The set looks like a couple of flats placed in front of the interview set. The studio must be one big room because Perri and Sue Simmons were yelling across the studio during todays cooking segment.

Maybe they will get a routine together for the show.. maybe not. Perri may not be the best choice to anchor that show. I want to see it work out, but it may take time.

Could Roz be a better fit? I agree, I like Perri better during taped reports/stand ups rather than as an anchor.

Today's News 4 You stunk. I haven't seen much improvement. Perri seems flustered switching from segment to segment. They also seem to be trying to crunch a lot into about 25 minutes. (perhaps less) In my opinion a better fit would be someone who is more of a mother figure. The show is way too stiff to be a family-type setup. A better atmosphere for the show would be to have it very informal, yet informative. Maybe.?

I've never liked Perri Peltz. She's just so stiff and stuck-up. I've never or rarely seen her ever crack a smile.

Sue and Len or Sue and Janice laugh and joke sometimes and she just sat there, like 'ugh, let's move on'.

Today's News 4 You stunk. I haven't seen much improvement. Perri seems flustered switching from segment to segment. They also seem to be trying to crunch a lot into about 25 minutes. (perhaps less) In my opinion a better fit would be someone who is more of a mother figure. The show is way too stiff to be a family-type setup. A better atmosphere for the show would be to have it very informal, yet informative. Maybe.?

I have to agree. Still very sloppy on WNBC's behalf. The words on the L3s for teases had missing letters. Things just didn't flow. They still seemed rushed. They need to get it coordinated. I know Perri is the host, but she seems to take control of the converstaion too much, not letting the guest finish what they want to say, again as a result of being rushed. I've said it before, you guys made the same comments, they need to lighten the load on this broadcast. True, Perri isn't a getting it done, Cindy Hsu might, if we're talking about a mother figure.

With WNBC's new 5:00pm - 6:30pm configuration, five people are doing the job that four used to do (Ushery has joined Simmons, Peltz, Baquero, and Scarborough).

One would think with the NBC 2.0 cuts, they would be trying to do more with less. I'm thinking maybe Perri won't be around passed her current contract.

With WNBC's new 5:00pm - 6:30pm configuration, five people are doing the job that four used to do (Ushery has joined Simmons, Peltz, Baquero, and Scarborough).

One would think with the NBC 2.0 cuts, they would be trying to do more with less. I'm thinking maybe Perri won't be around passed her current contract.

WNBC we all know has been trying to give Ushery more and more airtime because he is strongly believed to be the successor to Chuck Scarborough. Maybe Scarborough made a comment about wanting to cut back his schedule or retire in the next decade and they wanted to get Ushery going and a strong weekday following as well.

(Even though I wouldn't have done that next to Lynda. And it also looks like he is a secondary figure in the newscast. I was expecting his name to be first in the opening, and was surprised when it started off with Lynda Baquero instead).

I noticed that they gave David the shaft as number 2 on the opening. I think he would be a great successor to Chuck- he's a solid and likeable anchor. I remember reading somewhere that Chuck was in till 2011. Maybe i'm wrong. David has better chemestry with Lynda than Chuck did. Lynda is a bit of a cornball with her tosses to weather and sports, so David makes a good balance. Sue Simmons name is first in 6pm opening; a spot Chuck has retained for as long as I can remember. I wonder if that was thought out or if it was a rush job. WNBC stinks at updating their bios. I bet that a week from now they still will be the same.

Tonight's broadcast was much improved. Things finally flowed. They had one segment then to commercial, came back another segment then commercial. Very organized, i liked it very much. Not too much info, just about right. and it was not rushed. Keep it up WNBC!

The only complain I had is that they should ask a chef that's willing to talk on air, tonight's guest chef seemed like he didn't want to be there and didn't want to say anything. His replies were just one word repsonses at times.

I don't think they put Sue name at 6 before Chuck's because they are trying to phase Chuck out and phase David in.

I think because they are both veterans for 25+ years together and on 2 newscasts now, with Chucking being introduced before Sue at 11, they decided to put Sue's name before Chuck at 6. If it was anybody else but Sue, Chuck would be introduced first. Also, Sue's name was always first in early evenings so I guess that they kept that as well for the 6pm.

I think the only reason Lynda is put on before David in the intro was because she was on the weekday newscasts before he wasn't. So viewers might be a little more familiar with her.

I thought Rob Morrison was the one being groomed...

It was mentioned on this board before, and it seemed to be a general consensus, that the reason David Ushery always fills in for Chuck, was doing all 4 weekend shifts, and had his own 30 second promos just featuring him and his past experiences, that it must be because WNBC is grooming him. Now that he is in evenings, I think it is looking more and more likely. If they wanted Rob, they could have easily moved him from mornings to evenings and David into mornings so then Rob could fill in for Chuck when he was off. But I think David has the edge on Chuck.

It'll all come down to who's running the show when Chuck makes his decision.

Tonight's News 4 You was the best all week. Oh wait they cancelled it in lieu of a full hour of Live at 5! It was nice to have the old show back. They even flubbed and ran the old opening with Sue and Perri. I liked the 2 hours of David and Lynda. And as it seems to be, David was a trooper anchoring all of the pm broadcasts.

Maybe if N4You doesnt work out they will just make the full hour of David and Lynda. Just a little anchor shake-up to spice the scene up...and axe Perri after it's all said and done.

I thought it was VERY interesting as to how the networks covered the snowstorm balanced with the Sean Bell indictment. Even without the indictment, I thought it was intersting how they handled just the snow/ice storm.

Clearly, WNBC was the best at covering it with a full 4pm newscast and 5pm as well. Was it necessary? I don't know. But they were the place to be if you wanted it.

In my opinion, the snow/ice should have been the lead story on the newscasts. It affects people right then and there and in the here and now. WNBC did a very nice job of having a 2-minute update at the start of the 11pm news, the Sean Bell coverage, then back to the snow. WABC did not even start to mention snow until almost 11:10.

Unfortunately, this came at a very bad time for WCBS. They could not cover anything because of the NCAA.

Archived