Fox Chicago will start a 10pm newscast in April

sg9018

Apparently Feder doesn't know how new things debut on some stations, especially WFLD.. Give it a week or two and they'll cut down on all those "whooshings" and flashing graphics between each story.. Just like when they first switched over to the new FOX O&O look. Not too long after, they cut down down on the flashiness. It's just an attention getter to get you to notice their newscast.

I never heard him complain during the "CBS 2 Works For You" era which contained alot of "whooshing" and graphics flashing "New", "Live", etc..

Heck, WLS even has "whoosh" before each commercial break. When WLS first debuted their new graphics, they had the "whoosh" too when the Live bug popped up onto the screen but the "whoosh" was taken out a week or two later.

I noticed Lauren Cohn has changed quite a bit since she was last at WFLD only a couple years ago.. Makes you wonder, Philadelphia, what did you do to her?!?! She doesn't even seem like the same person.

The second night was better than the first and the pace of the newscast was improved the second time around as well. Robin Robinson, like Mark, appeared on the TEN both nights (Mon./Tues.), but I don't see this being a permanent thing in which they are on every night beyond this week.

Three weather forecasts is too much when in a complete weather forecast @ 10:10 and a short wake-up weather thingy at/near the end of the show would do. They also use parts of the other set in addition to the new one built for them. And it wouldn't hurt if they sat down once and awhile (at the very least to catch their breath from all the walking back and forth between the 2 sets).

There also needs to be a clean break from the 9PM newscast and the TEN. As it now stands, they transition into the TEN from the 9PM newscast with no commercial break (this went very poorly the first night). It's cool they go at least 15 minutes (from 9:55-10:15 p.m.) with no commercial break, however they promoted the TEN as a separate newscast and it's coming across like an extension of the 9PM with different graphics.

The second night was better than the first and the pace of the newscast was improved the second time around as well. Robin Robinson, like Mark, appeared on the TEN both nights (Mon./Tues.), but I don't see this being a permanent thing in which they are on every night beyond this week.

Three weather forecasts is too much when in a complete weather forecast @ 10:10 and a short wake-up weather thingy at/near the end of the show would do. They also use parts of the other set in addition to the new one built for them. And it wouldn't hurt if they sat down once and awhile (at the very least to catch their breath from all the walking back and forth between the 2 sets).

There also needs to be a clean break from the 9PM newscast and the TEN. As it now stands, they transition into the TEN from the 9PM newscast with no commercial break (this went very poorly the first night). It's cool they go at least 15 minutes (from 9:55-10:15 p.m.) with no commercial break, however they promoted the TEN as a separate newscast and it's coming across like an extension of the 9PM with different graphics.

I totally agree with you on everything. They need to just have one or 2 weather spots. I think the 10 day on 10 is fine and then the full forecast at like 1020 is good enough.

They do need to have a commercial break and at least an open into the 10. They have nothing. Like you said its looking like an extension of the 9pm.

I recorded the first night but im out of town and havnt had a chance to see it since then. When i get back i will post some stuff.

They do need to have a commercial break and at least an open into the 10. They have nothing. Like you said its looking like an extension of the 9pm.

That'll happen soon.. They're just doing it this way first just to keep the people watching the 9PM newscast to watching The Ten instead of flipping the channel. Remember, it's still debut/premiere week.

Also, additions of some tall chairs/stools to the set for the anchors to sit down on are in consideration.

At the very least, they should transition into The Ten exactly at 10:00 instead of 2-3 minutes earlier so that people can tune in when they would expect The Ten to start without missing the top stories.

On another note, they even brought in Greta Van Susteren from FNC for some analysis tonight.

I understand that they want to hold on to a chunk of the 9PM viewers for the TEN, but it's unrealistic to think people are going to watch the TEN after they spent an hour watching the 9PM (even on a short term basis). Premiere week or not, I think they would have been better off with a clear seperation between the two newscasts.

That way, the TEN would start at the same time the 10 PM newscast on Channels 2,5, and 7 start and you would have the chance to grab new viewers in addition to those who regularly watch the 9PM, but may have missed it for whatever reason. I'm glad Fox Chicago has decided to add a weekly 10PM newscast (and maybe a 5PM newscast in the future), but I see this (not having some seperation) as a messed opportunity to get new viewers (or those within their target demo) and allowing the TEN to succeed (or fail) on it's own merit (even if it's piggy-backing off the 9PM for just a week or two).

Archived