Fox Chicago will start a 10pm newscast in April

sg9018

I knew it. I remember when WTVT add an 11pm news in December of '04 that if "NewsEDGE" successful, some or all FOX O&O will add a 10pm or 11pm newscasts. so far:

WTTG: 11pm News

KSAZ: 6pm News

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this will be the fourth FOX O&O to add a late newscasts.

On 4/9/07 - Put video clips and caps on the fist 10pm show.

PS: My prediction, FOX Chicago needs to add a 5pm Weekday Newscast, KRIV & KTBC (5 & 10pm)

KTTV (5 & 6pm) and I think that's it.

I noticed in the press release (and in Feder's column today) that the show was dubbed "Fox Chicago News at Ten" rather than "Fox News Chicago at Ten". Was this just an oversight or is the station returning to the short-lived branding Finlayson adopted until Fox instituted a new graphics package that made "Fox Chicago News" a bad fit for the new logo mandate?

All that aside, I don't see the point of this newscast and think Chicago is gonna miss it's nightly "Simpsons" reruns. But can u imagine if this beats WBBM in the ratings at 10?! Maybe it would be smart for Channel 2 to be the new home of The Simpsons at 10!?

Also, was I the only one caught completely off-guard by the announcement of Lauren Cohn as the anchor? Don't get me wrong, I mean she's good, I like her, but I just never woulda guessed.

I noticed in the press release (and in Feder's column today) that the show was dubbed "Fox Chicago News at Ten" rather than "Fox News Chicago at Ten". Was this just an oversight or is the station returning to the short-lived branding Finlayson adopted until Fox instituted a new graphics package that made "Fox Chicago News" a bad fit for the new logo mandate?

That was just one of those typos by whoever typed the press release, who probably doesn't even work at WFLD, and all he/she knows is the station refers to itself as "FOX Chicago". As far as I know, they're keeping "FOX News Chicago" and not going back to that short lived name. Changing the name would require redesigning the logo in a way that I don't think would look too good. Imagine the word "Chicago" squashed into the blue portion. The anchors/reporters weren't happy either when they changed the name for that short time. It was too much of a tounge twister for them.

I only hope they move "The Simpsons" to 10:35.

Shouldn't it be at 9PM since the CT Zone, Television is one hour earlier that Television in the ET Zone? Here in New York, Fox 5 News is on at 10PM ET. So it would be logical if Fox in Chicago to have their new broadcasts at 9PM.

-Vlad

I saw a TV ad for the new 10pm newscast, and apparently it has been titled "The Ten," which seems a bit gimmicky to me. I would have preferred the standard "Fox News Chicago at 10:00."

"The Ten" is going to be a different format than the rest of their newscasts. They also hired Darian Trotter from WSMV in Nashville to be the main reporter used for "The Ten". You can read more about him at http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/293865,CST-FIN-feder13.article .

The new logo for "The Ten" can be seen at http://www.myfoxchicago.com .

The one thing I worry about is "The Ten" failing. If it fails, what happens to David Novarro? His morning job was already given to Mike Barz. After watching FOX News In The Morning lately, I much prefer David Novarro over Mike Barz in the morning. I only hope that if "The Ten" fails, WFLD adds a couple early evening newscasts and uses David Novarro there.

Yea i think they could use a 5 or 6pm newscast. Im just surprised that WGN and WFLD are the only ones that really dont have any evening newscasts. But they make up for that in the morning with 4 hours of morning news instead of 2 or 2.5 like WMAQ.

If its worked in other markets it may work here. The only problem is, Chicago doesn't like change! Its hard to get loyal ABC 7 or NBC 5 Viewers to stay on after 9pm. That is, if they even sit there and watch the 9pm. I watch WGN before the 10pm news. Then i switch over to NBC 5. So i bet many Chicagoans do the same. Just different choices...

728x90-pre-ten.jpg

I've got a good feeling about this new newscast. I mean WFLD does pretty well; competitively speaking. I'll lay you odds this does better numbers than CBS2 News at 10:00. Hell, look at what sister KMSP has done with their 10PM Newscast, It's in second place behind KARE 11 News. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Thanks for the link, zas. :D

Interesting that there'll be no 'Ten' on the weekends, I was wondering about that.

"The 10 Day at 10:10 on the Ten". Jeesh, say that 5 times fast. Dumb gimmick if u ask me, how accurate can a 10-day forecast be when even a 7-day is proven less useful than a 5-day? Personally however, I do prefer a 7-day and I would think a 10-day is a whole lotta stuff to look at on the screen, probably too much.

Some good news is FOX Chicago has started to show a promo saying that they're pushing The Simpsons reruns to 10:35PM.

It's good they're not just cancelling the 10PM Simpsons reruns altogether. Who could forget all the angry people when they cancelled the 10PM Simpsons reruns a number of years ago.

I wonder if "The Ten" is going to use a different music package than the FOX O&O package. Different music is being used in the promos for "The Ten". We'll just have to wait until Monday to see. David Novarro is probably going to have a new hair-do too.

So I take it that the new set for "The Ten" will also double as their new interview set and as a new set for "The Final Word". It's at the spot of the now former interview/"Final Word" set.

Just like when they remodeled the rest of the news set last year, it appears they're reusing the same wall and floor structure from the previous interview/"Final Word" set with an addition added to the front of the floor platform structure.

I'm guessing the new set is being done by Chicago Scenic Studios who also remodeled their main news set last year.

Now only if they would change that hideous looking stand-up set (located between the main news set and "The Ten"/interview/"Final Word" set) used for bands and cooking segments.

I'm surprised nobody posted anything about "The Ten" yet. Tonight is my first night to actually watch it. It's not bad at all. I like the fast pace. There's no chat between anchors and anchors and reporters. It's just the news down to the point. Mark Suppelsa is used on "The Ten" as the contributing co-anchor (like Cheryl Burton is on ABC 7). I can actually see this newscast beating out CBS 2. It has the umph and energy CBS 2 lacks. This is the format CBS 2 should have gone for. This is a format Chicago has needed for a long time..

It uses a different set of graphics than the FOX O&O standardized graphics used on all the other newscasts; however, they're based off the standard FOX O&O graphics. These graphics SHOULD have been the FOX O&O graphics. Much more crisp and clear than the FOX O&O standard graphics. Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment anymore to take screencaps.

The music is the same OSI FOX O&O Music however they're also using some cuts of music I'm not familiar with.

The ten day forcast is not like what you would think it is. They call it the "Ten Day Trend". Nothing about it is guaranteed like with your regular 5 or 7 day forcasts. They show graphs on a chart like a meteorologist would see on his/her computer and they show you the trends and they make it clear that that's all that it is. They still use their standard 7 Day Forcast for the actual meteorologist's predictions.

Also, FOX Chicago modified their corner logo used on the newscasts to have the animated spotlights.

Archived