Greatest News Opens of all time

Guest cfif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you define "great"? Is it orchestration, is it the logo/signature (memorable, distinct, easily recognisable), is it the emotion?

It could be any one or two of those things. Some of the greatest themes have been heard in NYC and L.A., among others (the Tar Sequence and NS2000, as a couple of examples). It could also be the look of the open (for example, the Texas flags flying behind the talent boxes and the scrolling Eyewitness News title on that 1990 KTRK late opening as two reasons why I liked that one).

Here's one more of my favorites: a 1992 late opening from WPLG in Miami, back when it was still Eyewitness News:

[yt]XEFIjpJw0-g[/yt]

I also liked what Ernie said on this one just as much as I did what Doug Tisdale said on that 1990 late opening from KTRK:

"Channel 10, WPLG Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. This is Eyewitness News Nightbeat...South Florida's #1 late news...with Ann Bishop, Dwight Lauderdale, Don Noe with weather, Steve Alvarez with sports, and the Channel 10 Eyewitness News team."

[yt]aWL31KvOd-w[/yt]

Go to the 4:03 mark of this montage of openings from WCVB in Boston. Here's another one of my long-unseen favorites. It spans between the 4:03 and 4:29 marks.

"Now, NewsCenter 5 At Six, your complete news and information report...with Natalie Jacobson...Chet Curtis...meteorologist Dick Albert...and Lee Webb on sports. Reporting live from New England's news center...Natalie Jacobson and Chet Curtis."

[yt]aWL31KvOd-w[/yt]

Go to the 4:03 mark of this montage of openings from WCVB in Boston. Here's another one of my long-unseen favorites. It spans between the 4:03 and 4:29 marks.

"Now, NewsCenter 5 At Six, your complete news and information report...with Natalie Jacobson...Chet Curtis...meteorologist Dick Albert...and Lee Webb on sports. Reporting live from New England's news center...Natalie Jacobson and Chet Curtis."

You seem to be suggesting that the voice over is the important thing. But aren't we meant to be looking at the music?

How do you define "great"? Is it orchestration, is it the logo/signature (memorable, distinct, easily recognisable), is it the emotion?

"Great" is subjective - there's no real criteria for a news open, or a television open, to be "great".

There are three very different examples I'd actually give that would count as great. One is the Eyewitness News open from 1980.

[yt]dRxMaOR3bGs[/yt]

This one just begins on the EWN logo on the actual set, then pans out to the anchors and reporters, already seated. The Tar Sequence music and Gil Hodges' voiceover take it to the top, but it's really just skilled camera work. It's as simple and primal as you can get.

On the other hand, you have example #2:

[yt]9Zgun9PqTag[/yt]

Yes, I think this very early Action News open is better than the MCTYW montages we've had for years. Again, not really graphics, but tight editing, a peppy news theme, an upbeat voiceover. It gives a sense that Action News is Everywhere.

And number 3:

[yt]pivyuszWZro[/yt]

Great, airy, but authoritative theme, somewhat primitive but very effective CGI. I know others would use the Gannett/WUSA "Death Star" open as an example of this but I think I like this more. It signaled a newscast that'd be more in-depth than the others.

You seem to be suggesting that the voice over is the important thing. But aren't we meant to be looking at the music?

The way I understood it, when the thread asked for greatest of all time, I thought we could focus on anything that made an opening great (V/O, music, graphics, etc.).

Atlanta, GA

WSB circa 1993 one of my favorites because of the elements of theme and pictures

WAGA circa 1994 one of my faves, but their opening circa 1993 is also another fave not online but the music, the opening and the elements of the dramatic pictures and more.

Detroit, MI

WDIV circa 1994 one the best with the music and the fast pace elements

Following clip a decade later and still one of the best opening but towards the end of 2000s it was that clickondetroit crap get on my nerves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH_1VH2_wLY

WXYZ

the classic opening for years on Channel 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R8QYWsaOVA

WJBK

I always thought this was the best opening and at that time I thought it was so big market (start 4:43)

Charlotte, NC

I know some didn't care for Bold Branding, but I loved it and a decade later the opening just go so dramatic

Minneapolis-St.Paul

KSTP: this is such a classic old school opening and I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T_rjjfIBCc

Baltimore

WBAL

• 3 months later...

[YT]qF7-nNeRfz8[/YT]

I actually like the open that preceded that one better:

The graphics are very elegant, but at the same time simple. The theme begins with an attention grabbing cadence, then gives way to a majestic score set to beautiful aerial shots of North Texas and ends with a fantastic brass sound. The presence of the original Spirit of Texas logo is a big plus. The only thing that would make it more perfect is if they used the 8 logo as a transition a third time at the end.

As you can guess, my screenname is influenced by what was once CityPulse. The old Toronto, no-frills, ultra cool, Action News-equivalent, "Gonna Fly Now" CityPulse.

1982 [ending perfectly with the CityPulse logo over the 2-shot with Gord and Dini]

1987 [the first day from their then-new home, the Chum-City building]

1991 [an updated sound for a new decade]

1998 [as you can tell, the 3-note "Gonna Fly Now" mnemonic held]

2002 [the first iteration of their current sound. From 2005, the downfall into banality]

• 3 weeks later...

I actually like the open that preceded that one better:

The graphics are very elegant, but at the same time simple. The theme begins with an attention grabbing cadence, then gives way to a majestic score set to beautiful aerial shots of North Texas and ends with a fantastic brass sound. The presence of the original Spirit of Texas logo is a big plus. The only thing that would make it more perfect is if they used the 8 logo as a transition a third time at the end.

What I liked about it is the V/O: "Working in the Spirit of Texas...WFAA-TV presents...Tracy Rowlett...Gloria Campos...Troy Dungan...and Dale Hansen. This...is News 8 At Six."

• 4 weeks later...

What I liked about it is the V/O: "Working in the Spirit of Texas...WFAA-TV presents...Tracy Rowlett...Gloria Campos...Troy Dungan...and Dale Hansen. This...is News 8 At Six."

I came across that WFAA clip recently. I'll put it this way, it was downright sexy.

The thing about the open it was used in 1991 when they still used The Spirit theme package, but in 1992 when they got that unknown theme, the open was 10x more appealing because I suspect the open was composed in sync with the opening graphics. There is a lot of sound that syncs up with the WFAA blinds and sounds when it goes to each anchor.

Yes, the v/o is good too. On the whole, it's great open worthy of the great news team WFAA had at the time.

I think that was John B. Wells, he had a voice where he probably smoked 2 packs a day!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another gem, from the twilight of the Ralph Renick era at WTVJ:

I say yuck, the logo just looks AWKWARD and what Chyron they had at that time, the font just looked goofy (or creepy.)

I liked the Watch Our Team Work open from the early 90s.

On the set though, it was nice looking but it looked so cramped. Why was it so damn tiny?

These are definitely not the best, but one of my favorites:

WMC-TV Memphis 2008 HD Open

[yt]Ym0sdV0vl6U[/yt]

This open from 1995 is my favorite. Simple and effective, with appropriate usage of the steamboat (the 2008 open does look a bit silly as it's flying right at you). And with my favorite cut from The One and Only to boot.

[yt]qCMD9xdVJDo[/yt]

This open from 1993 is okay... yes, the disintegrating "5" and the L3s look clunky at best (and I'm probably being too kind here). And the news set is... is there even a set? But this cut of The Great News Package is simply amazing. Honestly I wish that WKYC used this cut when they had TGNP.

[yt]wiLuWr8RwpM[/yt]

This open from 1993 is okay... yes, the disintegrating "5" and the L3s look clunky at best (and I'm probably being too kind here). And the news set is... is there even a set? But this cut of The Great News Package is simply amazing. Honestly I wish that WKYC used this cut when they had TGNP.

That's not GNP. That was a custom version of Turn To News. But it's one of my favorite versions.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived