CBS 3 & CW Philly light up the Philly Skyline

tdrtv

Seems like a bit of technical issues on the part of KYW and WPSG related to the move. The SD feeds on both channels are extremely zoomed-in versions of the HD feeds so there's quite a bit of overscanning.

And that's happening as I speak with the NCAA hoops game. The scoreline is virtually non-existant. Sharp as hell picture for us SD folks, but no scorebug.

EDIT: ElliotJones beat me to it...so here have a Charlie Gibson.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think the SD picture looks like complete shit on a regular TV... and for some reason the HD feed is off as well (all 4x3 content is being stretched and zoomed - so it looks UBER-zoomed on a 4x3 SDTV)

Alas, it's fixed! Maybe someone notified the station (see also MAY, JULIUS) or someone from the station we know was hearing our complaints. :)

Anyway, I kinda thought it was fitting, the oversized screen which matches the oversized ego of Billy Packer.

The set looks like it was designed by Black Walnut, which is odd considering CBS has had a long relationship with BDI when it comes to its O&O and network news sets.

Correct. Black Walnut handled the project. Personally, I was tired of the BDI. They keep using the same elements, just shuffled around.

I'm kinda dissapointed with this set, no WOW factor going on here. I actually like the old set better. The rest of the station is over the top, but this new set is more like lateral move than a step up.

I honestly think the average person wouldn't even notice that they were on a new set. I think it bears too many similarities to the old set. IMHO, the weather center looks exactly the same.

I'm kinda dissapointed with this set, no WOW factor going on here. I actually like the old set better. The rest of the station is over the top, but this new set is more like lateral move than a step up.

I'll go so far to say this new set is a step back for 3. It looks a little too medium market for me. And the skyline in the background looks like it was put in just to fill a hole. The cuts of music are an improvement and the graphics are okay.

I'll go so far to say this new set is a step back for 3. It looks a little too medium market for me. And the skyline in the background looks like it was put in just to fill a hole. The cuts of music are an improvement and the graphics are okay.

I allow argee that he old set was better based on the caps. KYW shound have done what KCBS/KCAL are doing be tranporting the old set in to the new studios.

Also does KYW 3 has web problems? CBS3.com has not been updated since around the 6pm newscast on April 2.

Does anyone have video of the new CBS 3?

I allow argee that he old set was better based on the caps. KYW shound have done what KCBS/KCAL are doing be tranporting the old set in to the new studios.

That would not have been practical. Also, it would not have looked good in HD.

Also does KYW 3 has web problems? CBS3.com has not been updated since around the 6pm newscast on April 2.

Looks fine to me.

Still no CBS 3 videos since then, but they added three videos from tonight's CBS Evening News. What's going on over there?

Still no CBS 3 videos since then, but they added three videos from tonight's CBS Evening News. What's going on over there?

What's going on is that they moved to a new facility with a lot of new technology. It doesn't always work 100% out of the gate. Also, they are completely changing over their video system (ingest, playback, editing, archiving, etc...). There's bound to be a little down time while the reconfiguration takes place.

gotta ask...

what's wrong with the SD feeds? The picture looks pretty bad - the picture looks a little muddy and blurry, some commercials are showing in the wrong aspect ratio (so they're overscanning), and I think there's a field rendering problem. I know it's a total move so it's a lot more complicated than if they were just going HD, but it is a serious issue IMO...

gotta ask...

what's wrong with the SD feeds? The picture looks pretty bad - the picture looks a little muddy and blurry, some commercials are showing in the wrong aspect ratio (so they're overscanning), and I think there's a field rendering problem. I know it's a total move so it's a lot more complicated than if they were just going HD, but it is a serious issue IMO...

Previous to the move, HD and SD commercials fed out of completely different servers. Now, it's all one box, so there is a need for HD to SD downconversion, according to what the original aspect ratio of the spot is- and there's been programming issues with doing that on the fly.

I agree, the cropping issue is rather nasty looking. As for the clarity of the picture... at home, KYW has looked muddy to me for years now. (I blame Comcast for that one, because I've seen what leaves the station as it's beamed into the ether.)

So 3 down, 1 to go. When can we anticipate the last Philly station to go HD and attempt to blow us all away?

I am probably wrong here, but it's my own personal opinion:

With the latest cuts by NBC/Universal, I don't see NBC10 coming back and going HD anytime soon. Only good thing about them is their news theme. In my book, CBS3 is the best station in the Philadelphia/Delaware and South Jersey area.

-- Matt

Archived