CBS 3 & CW Philly light up the Philly Skyline

tdrtv

Is there going to be a furniture & fixture sale or are they taking every bit of that stuff too? I might like some file cabinets..

I'm pretty sure there's going to be stuff that's going to be purged. Oh God.. I can picture some news junkies digging through a large dumpster outside the old building.

There is a company responsible for leftovers, so no public sale of that stuff. Trust me, no one wants what's going out in the trash, except maybe for scrap. There is a LOT of junk.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The on-air target is 03/26. Construction delays have moved this date back several weeks, and may again.

To update this point, the first broadcast from the Hamilton St studios HAS officially been moved back a week to 4/2.

During tonight's 6PM newscast I saw that "Moving Ahead" commercial I believe they debuted during the superbowl, and noticed that it had been updated to say "April 2".

hey first post woo (love this site and all you people on it)

The on-air target is 03/26. Construction delays have moved this date back several weeks, and may again.

To update this point, the first broadcast from the Hamilton St studios HAS officially been moved back a week to 4/2.

....and perhaps a bit later. We'll see. (Yes, even despite the updated Moving Ahead promo.)

Look, I can't wait for the new set.

I wish they would have different theme for each-- Yes each newscast (This Morning, Noon, @4, @6, and @11) like they did in '91 (NewsDay, NewsBeat--noon and 6 and The News Tonight).

I loved all the openings for those newscasts.

I wish they would have different theme for each-- Yes each newscast (This Morning, Noon, @4, @6, and @11) like they did in '91 (NewsDay, NewsBeat--noon and 6 and The News Tonight).

You will probably like the changes, then.... ;D

The shows with the different themes around 1991 were ratings disasters for Channel 3...

The audience that had grown through the late 80s was deflated.

Somewhere between 25%-30% at least of the viewers were driven away.

It's taken fifteen years, CBS prime growing, and major changes by WCAU TV and WCAU's lead anchor and backup weather person for Channel 3 to recover somewhat.

Nightbeat etc was one of the most disastrous formats/brands of the last 30 years in Philadelphia.

Update: Found this Philadelphia Inquirer Article that will answer most if not all your questions! It all sounds very nice. Can't wait to see it in action. Congrats KYW!

// begin

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/20070322_Gail_Shister___Eye-catching_new_Eyewitness_News_digs__says_boss.html

Gail Shister | Eye-catching new 'Eyewitness News' digs, says bossBy Gail Shister

Inquirer Columnist

Now that CBS3 has built it, viewers will come.

So says KYW boss Michael Colleran of the CBS station's expansive new digs at 1500 Spring Garden St. The state-of-the-art, all-HD HQ will be an audience magnet for Eyewitness News, he predicts.

"We'll be big, beautiful, compelling, friendly, smart and nice," says Colleran, sounding like a typ- ically under- stated local general man- ager. "Our purpose will be to invite viewers to look at the station in a different way."

The 300-plus staffers of CBS3 and its sister station, the CW Philly 57, are expected to relocate from Independence Mall by April 2.

That day, after telecasting the Phillies' 1 p.m. home opener and the NCAA basketball finals at 9, CBS3 will air its first Eyewitness News, with Larry Mendte and Alycia Lane, about 11 p.m.

CBS3 had been headquartered at Independence Mall since 1972. When it lost its long-term lease in February '06, the station signed a 20-year deal with Amerimar Enterprises Inc. for approximately 120,000 square feet at 15th and Spring Garden.

After about a year of construction, it's an awesome space.

Previously spread over three floors and about 65,000 square feet, the two stations will occupy 102,000 square feet, all on one floor, according to Colleran. "Everybody will lose a lot of weight," he says, "and there will be a lot fewer wearing stiletto heels."

Everything is brand-spanking new. New studios. New control rooms. New sets. New graphics. New lighting. New equipment. New editing booths. With two control rooms instead of one, CBS3 can broadcast from both its studios at the same time, he says.

"Technology is driving the whole mission. We've spared nothing. We have the latest and greatest of everything out there."

As for the bottom line, Colleran says if he disclosed the budget, "I'd be fired tomorrow."

The new technology will make editing smoother and more efficient, he says. Viewers will get breaking news faster.

And it will all be broadcast in HD. For viewers, that will mean "a richer, sharper, more vibrant, closer-up experience," Colleran says. (I'll take "Adjectives" for $200, Alex.)

Closer up? HD makes facial pores look like moon craters. Not all on-air types love it.

No worries, Colleran says. "We won't have to hire HD cosmeticians. Good styling and good wardrobe will do nicely."

// end

-- Matt

Notice nothing was said about upgrading the actual content. All I see is a polished turd.

Expanding upon your excrement analogy, I guess that makes CAU a 'dingleberry' caught in the ass hairs of local news.

I dunno, it could pass as both.

And if KYW *is* doing a newsroom set, then I really really really want to go up there and kiss them. I've wanted to see one of these in this market for a *long* time.

The first picture is a rendering of the news room (specifically, the assignment desk)... which turned out to be pretty accurate.

The 2nd pic is a studio concept that wasn't implemented. It does, however, look similar to the 'update desk' (adjacent to the newsroom) overlooking Center City.

Here are some of my favorite locations on the old set

kywnewshotlu5.png

The interview set was great because it was so versitile.

cbsdrphilrr1.png

cbsdrphil2ov9.png

cbs3studioca5.png

btw... this morning i noticed the clear bug on the news broadcast was a little diffrent

one on the left new one on the right old

cbs3bugsza8.png

Archived