Action News at 4: The Thread

Jess

After years of planning and months of hype, Action News at 4pm is here. And as promised, it's decidedly not anything like your average Action Newscast. (This is a good thing.)

Some highlights:

--Open is the traditional Action News montage with MCTYW. Only difference is the "at 4pm" thing seen on promos is added to the logo animation at the end. They play an "Action News Continues" voiceover at 4:30pm, just like they do at 5:30.

--Brian Taff and Shirleen Allicot are the anchors - they lead the newscast. Alicia Vitarelli's role is fairly limited: she provides quick "Headline Blitzes" (standing at the weather center as a chyron opens up beside her with the headlines), she does the big board stuff (including a Hollywood headlines cross to an OTRC reporter), and she provides some money saving tips towards the end.

--Speaking of those "Headline Blitzes", that pretty much sums up the approach to news on the 4pm. It's very, very light on reporting, more focused on studio pieces, weather and traffic hits, and lighter fluff. I'm sure that's the intent - to make the 4 more of a lifestyle show and save the hard news for the 5 and 6. The main reporter on the show seems to be Sarah Bloomquist, who operates out of "Mobile 6" (more on that later). They do start with fairly substantive news roundups, though.

--The 4pm weather hit is the triumphant return of The Weather Outside, from the classic Dave Roberts position alongside City Line. This impressed me, because while the graphics were very much patterned after the ones they used when Dave was doing it, they were all coming from the TruVu system. They even did a cool effect where they squeezed him into a box when they showed the maps. They do a "4 Day at 4" for this segment, with the 430pm being a traditional weather hit with 7 day.

--Lots of facebook and twitter things, particularly in the last half of the show when it started to seem a little excessive. The concept of "Ask Action News" is a neat idea but kind of ruined by a blatant "see our website" plug towards the end. Hopefully they figure out that segment a little more.

--So, "Mobile 6". It's a mobile thing like a lot of stations are doing, but it's packed with some seriously nice broadcast quality tech. Sarah Bloomquist's liveshots were bannered as coming from the Mobile 6 setup, and if that was coming from the vehicle I was impressed. Unlike 3's Mobile Weather Lab, it's not being used as a weather vehicle, and thankfully it's not being used to whore a sponsor (in this case, Buick). I want to see more.

Overall, I think it was a nice start and I want to see more...

Will we be getting a montage video from you? ;) I wanted to watch both Action News and Eyewitness News at the same time.. but well, cant hear too many anchors at once. LOL

'NW

Archived