Fox yanks affiliations for two stations

Fox, today, pulled the affilations of Nexstar's WTVW-Evansville,IN and Block Comm's KTRV-12-Nampa/Boise, ID.

Neither group could come to terms with Newscorp of cable retrans cash (reverse compensation), and both were operating under affiliation agreements that had expired.

In Evansville, Fox will return to it's original affiliate, WEVV-44, but on the ".2" feed (CBS will remain on the main signal). The current line-up of MNTV programming will be time-shifted to accomodate Fox primetime. In Nampa/Boise, it is jumping to Journal's KNIN-9.

More from the Evansville Courier-Press.

I'm curious to know what WTVW will do. All the other affiliations in the market are long taken.

It's a bit ironic with Nexstar considering they dumped their affiliation with NBC in Beaumont to join FOX a couple of years ago.

Nexstar has 27 stations it owns outright or operates through Mission that either have expired affiliation agreements or agreements that expire at the end of 2011. Will be interesting to see if they lose any more.

Does WEVV do news? I thought FOX had some mandate that all affiliates must produce local newscasts? Seems like a good time for WTVW and CBS to start talking again.

Not in last 10 years. FOX only suggest that stations produce newscasts, and WUTV in Buffalo doesn't air a newscast (and has not done so for many years), making Buffalo the largest market (#29) whose Fox affiliate does not offer news. Its sister station WNYO (MY) airs news produced by WGRZ (NBC) at 10 Monday to Friday.

Not in last 10 years. FOX only suggest that stations produce newscasts, and WUTV in Buffalo doesn't air a newscast (and has not done so for many years), making Buffalo the largest market (#29) whose Fox affiliate does not offer news. Its sister station WNYO (MY) airs news produced by WGRZ (NBC) at 10 Monday to Friday.

Buffalo is market 51. The station is on channel 29.

• 4 weeks later...

WTVW is slowly rebranding the station as "WTVW 7", and the newscast as "News 7". The "News 7" bug can be seen in video clips at their website.

http://tristatehomepage.com

It's basically a redo of their oval Fox 7 logo, minus "Fox" and a larger '7'. They're otherwise keeping the GO KVVU package that's been in use for several years now.

No word on what replaces Fox programming on July 1st, but some are speculating the CW, given it's current condition in the market (being on a financially strapped operation whose owner is being sued by program syndicators for not paying their bills).

Meanwhile, KTRV has announced that they're going independent, and increasing news staff and newscasts. Speculation was that they'd grab the CW, but it's moving to a subchannel of KBOI.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/469710-EXCLUSIVE_Fox_Affiliate_KTRV_Boise_Going_Independent.php

Word now is that WTVW will go independent on July 1st, at least for the time being.

http://jakesdtvblog.com

And branding is changing AGAIN, to "Local 7", complete with a new (better looking, IMHO) logo.

http://jakesdtvblog.com

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/2011/06/28/52189/wtvw-to-debut-expanded-local-lineup

Another Nexstar station dropped by FOX, WFXW in Terra Haute, is switching to ABC on 9/1 and changing its calls to WAVW

Great then they'll pull WRTV (which isn't good but better than 'TWO), and I won't have any link to civilization while at school. :(, and that station has had more call letters than anything.

Who will get Fox? WTHI somehow (I don't think anyone wants to enter Terre Haute as a market...), but how?

Currently ABC is covered by WRTV, So I'm assuming that WXIN will be brought in as RTV is now.

It's the 2010s. There are things called digital subchannels. You don't think WTHI will jump at such an opportunity?

Only if it makes financial sense. Are you going to make enough revenue in Terre Haute to meet the demands of Fox?

In the 1990s and mid-2000s, before WBAK was bought by Mission, its 10pm news was actually produced by WTHI, not WTWO. The switch was a logical result of Mission (i.e. "Nexstar's little sister") buying the station.

• 1 month later...

Springfield, Missouri's KSFX has announced its plans when it goes independent on September 1. First off, the station is rebranding to "Ozarks Local" and is getting rid of the KSFX callsign, changing it to KOZL (though I think the callsign change is not entirely thought out well since it is one letter off from KOZK, the callsign for the PBS station in the same city). KOZK is also expanding its local news programming by adding a second hour to the 7 a.m. weekday morning newscast, adding an hour-long weekday 4 p.m. newscast and a half-hour Sunday 6 p.m. newscast, a Sunday night business program (that will air after the 6 p.m. newscast) and half-hour sports wrap-up shows on Saturdays and Sundays at 10 p.m.

KOZL will also take from WFFT and WTVW's playbook by filling weeknight primetime with two newsmagazines in the 7 p.m. hour (Inside Edition and The Insider, both also seen on WTVW in the 7 p.m. hour), and sitcoms in the 8 p.m. hour (unlike WTVW and WFFT, KOZL will not air The Big Bang Theory at 8 p.m. weeknights, Everybody Loves Raymond and My Name is Earl will air instead); there will also be a "Family Movie Night" on Sunday nights (also seen on WTVW and WFFT). Duly noted, the press release by KSFX on the programming changes does not say whether the Saturday night lineup will feature a theme night of series programming, similar to what WTVW and WFFT currently run (WFFT airs police dramas on Saturdays, while WTVW airs westerns on that night).

Archived