BIG changes coming to WISN

trev57

7 more new photos uploaded today. And they're even more criptic than the others were. The only thing I can make out is the stylized "12" logo on the front of the new desk (I think). One also might be of the new backdrop, but I really can't tell.

New desk?

[ATTACH]939.IPB[/ATTACH]

53126999_wisnnewdesk.jpg.e6816157244ae5bad405510e537309f7.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks like part of the old desk. I kinda wonder if this is just something they're recycling to stick somewhere else in the building...

I'm very curious about that different 12 logo they've been using for a few years. I'd like to see it become a part of the newscast but I don't think it would play well with Bank Gothic.

Well this is rather disappointing...

http://twitter.com/#!/TheDudekAbides/status/62947815952887808

Well duh. The whole HD hype is over now for the most part.. Plus, there hasn't been any real proof around that broadcasting in HD has increased a newscast's ratings. Most people could really care less if the newscast they're watching is in HD or not. It's all about saving money now. Plus, with the "big thing" being now going to mobile/skype type reporting, that's a pretty good downgrade in video quality, so really, bringing the newscast up to HD and reporting down to crappy video quality makes no sense. WISN has better things to do with their money than going HD for now..

Well duh. The whole HD hype is over now for the most part.. Plus, there hasn't been any real proof around that broadcasting in HD has increased a newscast's ratings. Most people could really care less if the newscast they're watching is in HD or not. It's all about saving money now. Plus, with the "big thing" being now going to mobile/skype type reporting, that's a pretty good downgrade in video quality, so really, bringing the newscast up to HD and reporting down to crappy video quality makes no sense. WISN has better things to do with their money than going HD for now..

Most of us were just assuming that since they were investing the money into a brand new set that they would also invest the money into HD as well. I would venture to guess that they will go HD by the end of the year though.

Most of us were just assuming that since they were investing the money into a brand new set that they would also invest the money into HD as well. I would venture to guess that they will go HD by the end of the year though.

The set cost MUCH less money to have built than it would be to begin news production in HD...

Plus they're in 16x9 and none of this actually matters...

Hold your horses guys... the argument that the HD hype is over with is somewhat ridiculous.

Working in the industry, people tend to ask me a lot of questions about TV news production both at my station and others in the market and some do bring up why the picture on WISN doesn't look as sharp as WITI or WTMJ. I don't think just being 16:9 is "good enough" for those who have made the investment in HD televisions... they should also see a crisp picture.

It really makes me wonder what the heck WISN has been doing all these years while every other Hearst station flips to HD? It clearly wasn't a shortage of money. It's (honestly) very likely WDJT will beat them to the punch with newscasts in high definition. I'd say just a few years ago WISN was poised to take over as the #1 station in the market but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore as they have let the opportunity slip from their hands.

Did not making the switch to HD while everyone else did play a part in that? I do honestly believe it was a factor. If you think HD doesn't matter to the typical viewer, go on Twitter and do a keyword search for "WMLW" whenever a Milwaukee Brewers game airs on that channel... you'll see.

Hold your horses guys... the argument that the HD hype is over with is somewhat ridiculous.

Working in the industry, people tend to ask me a lot of questions about TV news production both at my station and others in the market and some do bring up why the picture on WISN doesn't look as sharp as WITI or WTMJ. I don't think just being 16:9 is "good enough" for those who have made the investment in HD televisions... they should also see a crisp picture.

It really makes me wonder what the heck WISN has been doing all these years while every other Hearst station flips to HD? It clearly wasn't a shortage of money. It's (honestly) very likely WDJT will beat them to the punch with newscasts in high definition. I'd say just a few years ago WISN was poised to take over as the #1 station in the market but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore as they have let the opportunity slip from their hands.

Did not making the switch to HD while everyone else did play a part in that? I do honestly believe it was a factor. If you think HD doesn't matter to the typical viewer, go on Twitter and do a keyword search for "WMLW" whenever a Milwaukee Brewers game airs on that channel... you'll see.

While I agree the change would be a good thing, until their ratings start to slide because of broadcasting in up-converted 480i anamorphic 720x486, there should be no reason that they should feel forced to make the immediate transition (Obviously, viewers would notice the change and appreciate it, but a slightly 'fuzzier' picture isn't enough to make the average viewer get mad and comment on their Facebook page about it). If Hearst and WISN were worried about it, they would have probably made the switch by now. At least they don't have pillar bars on the side during newscasts like WDJT...

Side Note: I like how there are people here acting as TV Set Experts on WISN's Facebook Page that I'm ashamed I looked at...

I think the truth lies somewhere between the two perspectives. First, the WMLW thing is a red herring. Yes, it would be nice if the Brewers games would air on a station that is HD capable... but it would also be nice if they would air on a station with SD equipment that doesn't make the broadcast look like ass. (I mean, seriously, I don't know how WMLW stomps all over the image quality to make it look that horrific. It really is abysmal, even for SD. "How's the broadcast look, guys?" "Not quite crappy enough. Let's try and use this rusty old coat hanger to run the signal through.")

But yeah, there are some that will refuse to watch a news that isn't in HD... but I rather think that those are a rather small number of people, vastly outnumbered by the number of people who are "creatures of habit," watching the news they've always watched regardless of any other factor, and by the number of people who watch based on *gasp* the quality of the newscast, not the image quality.

I actually think overall production values make a bigger impact than HD image quality. That is, an SD news program looks like professional, polished, and well run will probably attract more viewers than a HD news program that looks sort of half-assed.

Yes, you will get people asking about image quality... but I think people will watch regardless.

Yes, you will get people asking about image quality... but I think people will watch regardless.

Yeah and I'm not saying that quality of picture tends to trump quality of content, I'm just saying don't blow off HD already.

When WDJT flips to HD, they'll have nice new graphics and a new set but the production value will likely be garbage... college-level. (I've seen some pretty great college newscasts actually...) The WMLW broadcasts annoy me to no end. I think the Brewers will seriously be re-thinking that deal. I don't even know if Weigel makes money off those broadcasts. They don't sell any spots.. it's all promos for WMLW, MeTV or Just 10 Minutes ads. Sad.

Missed the first few minutes of the broadcast, but here we go.

[ATTACH]942.IPB[/ATTACH]

Weather center is... kinda boring... They also really need to adjust this shot, since on the far right you can see the back wall of the studio...

[ATTACH]943.IPB[/ATTACH]

No Hearst desk, instead they've recycled part of the old one. Interesting...

[ATTACH]944.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]945.IPB[/ATTACH]

This angle of the weather center is nice, except for the left wall.

[ATTACH]946.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]947.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]949.IPB[/ATTACH]

593444038_0427_H17M08_CH12-1_12Newsat5_00.thumb.jpg.dbe9be78bf718cd2851aa9bcd4963c17.jpg

447050198_0427_H17M12_CH12-1_12Newsat5_00.thumb.jpg.5b8e9fe67b8c3d6107fcfdfe66e93143.jpg

103545221_0427_H17M16_CH12-1_12Newsat5_00.thumb.jpg.5ad9427afb558d9a206c730d4125cb53.jpg

542606037_0427_H17M19_CH12-1_12Newsat5_00.thumb.jpg.12735b652f7fcdacd4fe889d6479c5c6.jpg

1843696683_0427_H17M21_CH12-1_12Newsat5_00.thumb.jpg.5322fdd97fd8dd6cd9eb5fabc33e937a.jpg

2012836228_0427_H17M21_CH12-1_12Newsat5_00_0.thumb.jpg.74de6047ce1649fbd1ef9f45264e9d48.jpg

438296213_0427_H17M24_CH12-1_12Newsat5_00_0.thumb.jpg.a40c7bad585a4ec3df59749b2d3ba1aa.jpg

2043557504_0427_H17M24_CH12-1_12Newsat5_00_0.thumb.jpg.5d02f18de4df78f19e1bf0b78d547e2b.jpg

That's definitely the FX Group set on a budget deal.. Recycle pieces and keeping custom pieces to minimal. I think some of that is already some built stuff FX had "in-stock". It would have made the set look 10X better if they would have stripped the floor and given it a black coat too..

The new set is....ok. It could've been better, but it does look 100x better than the old set. I'm still waiting to see where they do sports from before I pass final judgement.

OK so according to the timelapse:

They DID recycle a large chunk of the main backdrop, they just replaced the fake bricks.

:/

They did, but that part of the set is rarely if ever seen. I'm more surprised that this new set doesn't have any stand up area for sports or anything (as far as I can tell).

That's definitely the FX Group set on a budget deal.. Recycle pieces and keeping custom pieces to minimal. I think some of that is already some built stuff FX had "in-stock". It would have made the set look 10X better if they would have stripped the floor and given it a black coat too..

Yeah, the outer pod is the stock FX/Hearst weather pod... wood grain instead of a glossy enamel finish, but otherwise, no differences at all. The rear weather desk is also a stock FX piece.

I agree about the floor. That's the first thing that pops out at me - the floor looks like a warehouse floor with that primer grey color. That might be one of those things that bugs me enough to email the station and ask why the heck they didn't do that. :)

Not sure I dig the "bracket" thing that they have supporting the plasma off the sides of the backdrop, the thing that mirrors the front of the anchor desk. It looks rather odd to me when it's turned vertically instead of horizontally as on the anchor desk. Plus, the panel sticks out in front of the rear of the weather center... really a bad fit. (Edit: I see now that the bracket and TV swing back when not needed, so not as bad as I thought, but it still bugs me.) Plus, with as many displays as they have over on that end of the set, do they really need another?

I think if they had the money, a WCVB-style anchor desk would have probably blended better with the new weather center. The two are completely different styles. The anchor desk doesn't look bad by itself at all, until you transition over and see the newer weather area. The one good thing about the WISN desk - it feels much wider. The WCVB desk looks so much taller and narrower, comparatively.

Not bad, I suppose, for a budget renovation. Not a dramatic change like I think everyone was expecting, but it does freshen up the place.

I think if they had the money, a WCVB-style anchor desk would have probably blended better with the new weather center. The two are completely different styles. The anchor desk doesn't look bad by itself at all, until you transition over and see the newer weather area. The one good thing about the WISN desk - it feels much wider. The WCVB desk looks so much taller and narrower, comparatively.

WCVB's desk only seats two people. http://www.fxgroup.tv/portfolio/portfolioimages/wcvb1_f.jpg

They did, but that part of the set is rarely if ever seen. I'm more surprised that this new set doesn't have any stand up area for sports or anything (as far as I can tell).

They are being VERY careful not to show that entire side of the studio. Everything they've shown so far is the anchor desk and weather center, nothing stage left at all. Possibly still a work in progress, even with the big reveal today?

Archived