ABC 7 Mini-van Promotion

INLANDNEWS

ABC 7 has been running promos promoting a new minivan wrapped with station graphics. "Mini-van- big news" What is this all about?

It's exactly what it looks like. A promotional tool to make the station look hip and trendy. They have an incredibly short mast (7 foot) which means that in most areas they'd have trouble even hitting an ENG receive site and getting on air. There's not enough room inside to store half of what's needed on a typical live shot. I think the most exciting things these vehicles can ever hope to see in most markets is being used as something like "Mobile 2" and stream road conditions.

As a photographer on a Facebook group put it,

They sell this stuff to management who do not operate trucks. NO ROOM TO PUT THE CABLE REELS AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF WE CARRY. OK for doing shots downtown 10' from the mini truck.

It's exactly what it looks like. A promotional tool to make the station look hip and trendy. They have an incredibly short mast (7 foot) which means that in most areas they'd have trouble even hitting an ENG receive site and getting on air. There's not enough room inside to store half of what's needed on a typical live shot. I think the most exciting things these vehicles can ever hope to see in most markets is being used as something like "Mobile 2" and stream road conditions.

As a photographer on a Facebook group put it,

They'd be better off doing what KYW and just getting a Skype-mobile and use it for weather and obnoxious ad-whoring from the title sponsor.

Hey, there should be some clown music with it and it would be def. worth it

It's a cool little van. I'd imagine it would be pretty good for a photog vehicle, opposed to an Explorer or something. Lots of room for promo graphics on the side.

Now, if it were a Toyota van from the 80s...

These should make for great vehicles on mobile coverage. The reason for the popularity of these (the Sprinter) is they are easier to manuever and lighter on operational costs (more fuel efficient that Econolines).

There may be some practicality issues, but the front office is looking for savings, and Econoline isn't good enough.

These should make for great vehicles on mobile coverage. The reason for the popularity of these (the Sprinter) is they are easier to manuever and lighter on operational costs (more fuel efficient that Econolines).

There may be some practicality issues, but the front office is looking for savings, and Econoline isn't good enough.

This ain't a Sprinter. These things might actually fit inside a full size Sprinter. I was able to look at a Transit Connect today and can't figure out how anything would fit in one. Using standard-depth racks there'd hardly be any room between the rack and the back doors. There's passenger doors on both sides which eliminates the possibility of having a L-shaped work area. I feel sorry for anyone who actually has to work in one...

This ain't a Sprinter. These things might actually fit inside a full size Sprinter. I was able to look at a Transit Connect today and can't figure out how anything would fit in one. Using standard-depth racks there'd hardly be any room between the rack and the back doors. There's passenger doors on both sides which eliminates the possibility of having a L-shaped work area. I feel sorry for anyone who actually has to work in one...

There's gotta be more room than in a Suburban right? I know stations have had ENG Suburbans.

Frontline has an ENG Escape Hybrid now... it does have a 14' mast: http://frontlinecomm.com/vehicle.cfm?ProductID=389

There's gotta be more room than in a Suburban right? I know stations have had ENG Suburbans.

Frontline has an ENG Escape Hybrid now... it does have a 14' mast: http://frontlinecomm.com/vehicle.cfm?ProductID=389

KABC had or still has about a dozen suburbans. A few years ago they were fazing them out for the full size vans and possibly more sprinters. KNBC also has a few suburbans.

I'll see if I can capture the promo on Friday...

It looks to me like KABC has gotten rid of the Suburbans as I haven't seen any since 2007. If you've ever driven by the station and have seen their garage with their fleet of 20+ vans parked, it's a sight to behold.

I misstyped. I meant the Transit Connect in addition to the Sprinter. Mind was moving faster than my fingers.

Archived