WABC's New Window Studio

Geoffrey

Are the graphics getting a refresh also? I hope they do, although in WABC terms, the current graphics are fairly new.

People have to be prepared for a very big change.. as far as look/feel - probably the biggest since the move to 7 Lincoln Square. The overall presentation of the newscast will be the same... It's what WABC is known for.. but this is going to really be very different from anything at channel 7 in 30+ years.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so basicly everything this is changing except the staff and the format? any one have any idea as to what the graphics will look like? Also any EDUCATED guesses as to what the 4pm team will be? Any chance it will be an unexcpected team or will it be ones already working the evening shift?

Is it wise to take a double-gamble and make such a huge change to such a stable product? And at the same time launch a 4pm newscast as your new evening news lead-in?

Also, why not move "Live" to the new studio and expand local news inside 7 Lincoln Sq. and let ABC rent out the new studio space when "Live" isn't in production?

Also, why not move "Live" to the new studio and expand local news inside 7 Lincoln Sq. and let ABC rent out the new studio space when "Live" isn't in production?

That would make the most sense, TBH, however it seems ch7 wanted the streetside studio for the news more.

For one, there's not enough space. Looking at pictures, the "Live" studio has maybe 20-25ft between the floor and the lighting grid, and there's probably another five feet above that. The new studio, even if they remove the floor immediately above them, will be lucky to have 20 feet to the ceiling. The back row of audience members would be seated just feet from lighting fixtures, and those things get pretty hot.... I think in the end, this studio will probably have a lighting grid just higher than WNBC's...

The streetside studio isn't going to be big enough to hold "Live" either.... Remember, there's already a set in NYC built in converted office space...

The space they are moving into was home to "The Tony Danza Show" after the Disney Store closed. So, it is quite possible to have a talk show studio in there.

Yes, that was the former Disney Store on the corner and was the offices of Tony Danza, ABC News Now Digital and was the home of Digital Millionaire... The current ground site used to have the offices of Millionaire. The space couldn't be used as a working studio because their ceiling was too low to hang lights. "I think" what they're going to do is rip the ceiling on the second floor, add more space and there's your new studio.

;)

extra text

For one, there's not enough space. Looking at pictures, the "Live" studio has maybe 20-25ft between the floor and the lighting grid, and there's probably another five feet above that. The new studio, even if they remove the floor immediately above them, will be lucky to have 20 feet to the ceiling. The back row of audience members would be seated just feet from lighting fixtures, and those things get pretty hot.... I think in the end, this studio will probably have a lighting grid just higher than WNBC's...

The streetside studio isn't going to be big enough to hold "Live" either.... Remember, there's already a set in NYC built in converted office space...

Ok, at least the 2nd floor at 147 Columbus is being removed, and I believe the building has 12ft high ceilings once the drops are removed. So there should be 24ft from floor to ceiling in the new studio. As Netnewsguy mentioned, a lot of offices at network are being moved around as we speak for this project.... The space will be totally reconfigured. It will NOT be crammed like WNBCs 7E, and will be a much better space then what is currently used in the corner of TV13.

Is it wise to take a double-gamble and make such a huge change to such a stable product? And at the same time launch a 4pm newscast as your new evening news lead-in?

As was stated, the new space would not be able to hold an audience. Logistically it wouldn't work.

The space they are moving into was home to "The Tony Danza Show" after the Disney Store closed. So, it is quite possible to have a talk show studio in there.

Actually, the space was home to the OFFICES/production staff of "The Tony Danza Show" - the show itself was NOT taped in that space.

As far as changing the newscast - that's not happening. The product will remain stable, the name stays the same, the talent remains, etc. This is WABC afterall. New music, graphics and studio are not going to turn off viewers. It just keeps things fresh.

The 4PM team I'm still hearing is David Novarro and Michelle Charlesworth - if in fact a new evening team is put in place. it's still more likely that Sade/Diana will be on at 4/6 and Bill/Liz at 5/11. (each anchoring 1.5 hours per evening)

As a side note, wasn't FBN's Studio G on 6th Ave also formerly office space? I think they cleared out about five floors for it...;)

No, studio G was built on top on the roof of an existing portion of the News Corporation building, and it's only two stories tall. If you move back and forth along 6th Avenue in Google Street View you can see a "before and after" from a couple places...

Ok, at least the 2nd floor at 147 Columbus is being removed, and I believe the building has 12ft high ceilings once the drops are removed. So there should be 24ft from floor to ceiling in the new studio.

I'm looking at the building on Google, and the architects conveniently placed markers on the corners every floor. The ground floor could be 12 feet, but the floor above it is definitely shorter. Also, these markers line up near perfectly with the floors of the building WABC is currently in, which would mean that even with removing the 2nd floor, the ceiling could only be 2/3 the height of what they currently have. Now throw in HVAC, acoustical material, and the lighting grid and you've just used up much of the space made by removing the second floor.

I'm looking at the building on Google, and the architects conveniently placed markers on the corners every floor. The ground floor could be 12 feet, but the floor above it is definitely shorter. Also, these markers line up near perfectly with the floors of the building WABC is currently in, which would mean that even with removing the 2nd floor, the ceiling could only be 2/3 the height of what they currently have. Now throw in HVAC, acoustical material, and the lighting grid and you've just used up much of the space made by removing the second floor.

The set itself could be about 12' tall (and if the lights drop down into the set a little, that's okay), which would look fine on TV. HVAC can go in right along with the lights and acoustic material is only about 2 inches thick. Grids don't have to drop far, either. What would be the issue with having a set standing 12' tall? The current one seems to be maybe 10'.

The set itself could be about 12' tall (and if the lights drop down into the set a little, that's okay), which would look fine on TV. HVAC can go in right along with the lights and acoustic material is only about 2 inches thick. Grids don't have to drop far, either. What would be the issue with having a set standing 12' tall? The current one seems to be maybe 10'.

I'm just saying people shouldn't expect a MEGASET. Because you know people will. ;)

Thanks for the explanations and corrections. One more question: will TV13 be completely taken over by "Live" or will WABC still use the current EWN space for other things?

I'd wager Live gets the studio all to itself. After all, they'll probably go for a makeover anyway with Regis' retirement.

Thanks for the explanations and corrections. One more question: will TV13 be completely taken over by "Live" or will WABC still use the current EWN space for other things?

WABC's portion of the studio is used as a staging/waiting area when "Live" is taping (see here and here), so I'd not be surprised to see the EWN set ripped out and it just used as storage. There's also videos of "Live" using WABC's chroma wall, so they might just build a big one of those in there too.

Is it possible for them to have the windows as the main backdrop, even with that unsightly bus shelter?

I'm only going by what I can see on Google Earth, but the space as it is now doesn't look that big.

The next problem would be the traffic light on the corner. Stop light + window backdrop + smart business owner = trucks that circle the block and end up in the background for the entire newscast (I saw this on WBBM a couple times).

The next problem would be the traffic light on the corner. Stop light + window backdrop + smart business owner = trucks that circle the block and end up in the background for the entire newscast (I saw this on WBBM a couple times).

Well, perhaps the fact that you can't make a left turn from Columbus Ave onto 66th may partially prevent such a problem.

I would like to throw some tidbits about the current situation. For starters, the time frame. ABC security was notified after the news was out. I spoke to some of them and they said it’s not going to take them three months to build the set. Some of them are taking bets to see if WABC can pull this off, but anything could happen. Reason, many floors and locations around ABC are gutted out for months. Even part of ABC's cafeteria at 47 West 66th is being gutted out.

20/20 post production is located on the second floor at 147 Columbus and they're moving to 47 West 66th in a few months to share space with hard news post production and digital media center. All demolition has to do is tear down part of the second floor and work their magic. It's not going to be a mega set because of the space at 147 is actually smaller and shorter than the space next door at 7 Lincoln Square. Weeters is right.

I think WABC will keep the current set at the same space for the time being. I went to WLS and KTRK a year ago and they still have part or all of their set at the same space.

Net -

true about the lack of a "mega set" due to lack of "mega space" - but don't you agree with me that the new studio space at 147 should allow a lot more creativity and flexibility due to the fact that the majority of TV13 is currently in use for "Live?"

And yes, from what I've heard, the current set is supposed to remain in place in TV13 for the foreseeable future, in case it is needed at some point.

You nailed it on the spot. That was also one of the reasons WBBM stopped using the windows as the backdrop. Too much free advertising going on. It was an everyday problem and it was most noticed on the morning shows (on both the old morning news and Monsters & Money). Many times, some of these box trucks didn't drive around the block. They would just park next to the windows with their flashers on pretending to make a delivery to the building or something. Most of these companies weren't small businesses. These were big major companies trying to take advantage of the windows with a thought out plan. There were a couples times the police had to be called during the middle of the newscasts to get the fake deliverers to move. Management got pissed during one 11AM newscast (back when they still used the big anchor desk with Daley Plaza as the backdrop) when there was a large AT&T box truck strategically parked behind the anchor desk for just about the whole newscast..

Archived