WNEP debuts new set, new HD graphics on the way

Ntropolis

Re: The HD News Thread

WNEP HD debuted, I'm watching online now. Same graphics/music...

Ok guys, there must of been a road block or something..They did debut will a new set, BUT according to WNEP, the full transition to full HD and new graphics, too, will be at a later date..

Oh wow! I must not have watched or paid attention enough. I didn't realize that was a rear projection screen. Love the huge desk... it's nice to see them again while most stations are moving to small desks. I like the lighting too.

They better blow us away with the new graphics!

according to WNEP, the full transition to full HD and new graphics, too, will be at a later date..

For their sakes, they had better hope so. Those old orange graphics are really disgusting. Plus, in my own opinion, the current WNEP logo needs to go. At the least, if they have to keep it, they could at least turn it 3D and put some different aspects on the number 16. I find myself watching WNEP more than I do WTAJ (my favorite hometown station), just because I hope that I tune in to find some new music, graphics, and we finally got the new set which I think is absolutely gorgeous.

They should seriously consider changing their news music package. Move Closer To Your World-esque theme is getting really old. WTAJ uses Metropolis, and it fits our station well. WATM/WJAC uses Total Coverage, which doesn't sound too great, WWCP uses the Fox 1998 Affiliate Package (but I think they should try Fox O&O like WOLF), and other than WTAJ with Metropolis, my personal favorite is WPSX who uses uPhonix which I think is a great package. WYOU pulled it off very good, until Nexstar pulled WYOU. WBRE's music package, The Rock is probably the best package in the two markets that I can view television in. I have heard some The Rock updates, and wished WBRE would use them more, but maybe that's in the works. All-in-all, after rambling on about all the packages that I can hear on my TV, my point still is...WNEP NEEDS TO GET RID OF MCTYW...If they feel as if they MUST keep it, at least go back to the old version.

Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Thoughts??

How old are WNEP's graphics? They've gotta be almost 10 years old, right? WTKR was using a similar graphics package in 2001!

my personal favorite is WPSX who uses uPhonix which I think is a great package.?

Sidenote... Centre County Report is using Aerial now, and the call letters were changed to WPSU in 2005 (that needs to be updated in the NMSA)

WNEP NEEDS TO GET RID OF MCTYW...If they feel as if they MUST keep it, at least go back to the old version.

There's another alternative that, honestly, I'd love to see: a completely updated and modernized version of MCTYW, ala News Series 2000, composed by 615 Music (or 615 Nonstop or whatever they are now).

Believe it or not it's not as farfetched as it sounds: actually, a package already exists, as seen here:

[yt]3k1BSiJsKzA[/yt]

615 composed new promo cuts a couple years ago, and I'm not sure if they've done a few updates since then (that open cut sounds new). They've done a great job - unlike so many other attempts to update or remix the package, it sounds like a fitting update. The bass and thundering percussion make MCTYW what it is.

Now, I don't know if they've done anything further than that, and I don't know if WNEP can just up and request a new version, as the theme is now actually owned by ABC. The call would probably have to be in WPVI's court.

Here's a sample of the 615 MCTYW arrangements... http://www.615music.com/core/play_media.cfm?video_id=149&type=3

....I don't know if WNEP can just up and request a new version, as the theme is now actually owned by ABC. The call would probably have to be in WPVI's court.

So is that how WKBW is able to use MCYTW again? Did they get ABC/WPVI's permission? If WKBW did it, I'd assume WNEP can do it, or commission new themes anyway.

Sidenote... Centre County Report is using Aerial now, and the call letters were changed to WPSU in 2005 (that needs to be updated in the NMSA)

I keep forgetting that the calls were changed to WPSU. I, however, was unaware of them using Aerial. I don't watch that too often. But, thanks for the correction.

As far as the MCTYW alternates, I don't see the value of keeping that signature on WNEP's newscast. Other than tradition, it seems a little outdated. Just my opinion.

I keep forgetting that the calls were changed to WPSU. I, however, was unaware of them using Aerial. I don't watch that too often. But, thanks for the correction.

As far as the MCTYW alternates, I don't see the value of keeping that signature on WNEP's newscast. Other than tradition, it seems a little outdated. Just my opinion.

I agree with you about the music and graphics...Both seem so old and outdated...I think Viral would be a good fit with them. Anyhow, we'll just have see what happens...

For their sakes, they had better hope so. Those old orange graphics are really disgusting. Plus, in my own opinion, the current WNEP logo needs to go. At the least, if they have to keep it, they could at least turn it 3D and put some different aspects on the number 16. I find myself watching WNEP more than I do WTAJ (my favorite hometown station), just because I hope that I tune in to find some new music, graphics, and we finally got the new set which I think is absolutely gorgeous.

They should seriously consider changing their news music package. Move Closer To Your World-esque theme is getting really old. WTAJ uses Metropolis, and it fits our station well. WATM/WJAC uses Total Coverage, which doesn't sound too great, WWCP uses the Fox 1998 Affiliate Package (but I think they should try Fox O&O like WOLF), and other than WTAJ with Metropolis, my personal favorite is WPSX who uses uPhonix which I think is a great package. WYOU pulled it off very good, until Nexstar pulled WYOU. WBRE's music package, The Rock is probably the best package in the two markets that I can view television in. I have heard some The Rock updates, and wished WBRE would use them more, but maybe that's in the works. All-in-all, after rambling on about all the packages that I can hear on my TV, my point still is...WNEP NEEDS TO GET RID OF MCTYW...If they feel as if they MUST keep it, at least go back to the old version.

Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Thoughts??

I'm actually in the Johnstown/Altoona market as well and have watched the above stations for years. Metropolis at your station is my favorite, but I also think WJAC's theme isn't too bad after they tweaked some of the cuts for the teasers about a month or so ago. I personally also think that Fox 8 NEEDS to get a new theme. It sounds so outdated!

I like the WNEP theme. The problem is, the way they use it now, you don't get to hear most of it. MCTYW seems to be part of their brand. I think the WNEP theme, supplemented with 615's arrangements would work really well, giving the station a modern, authoritative feel.

Is that monitor with the weatherman superimposed? Because there's no way that's the same (much smaller) monitor that is in the background in the first picture.

Yeah, they are. Kinda creative, though it will probably look a bit cheesy in HD.

• 4 weeks later...

Is that monitor with the weatherman superimposed? Because there's no way that's the same (much smaller) monitor that is in the background in the first picture.

I job shadowed Tom Clark (the Weatherman seen in the 'superimposed screen'). I told him that I thought that the "layered screen" seemed a little extreme. He said that they love it and don't intend on getting rid of it any day soon.

I'd rather them just use the built-in screen that they already have, but I guess it would be "too small" and viewers would complain about that.

As far as the music is concerned, I'm almost 100% certain that I've heard the music that is played in the beginning of this video posted by HulkieD on page 2 of this topic forum. It was on a station promo...so maybe WNEP has the updates, but they have decided to NOT use them. I mean my goodness, we're talking about the news station that keeps their meteorologists around because they own part of the property. These meteorologists couldn't forecast to save themselves from a tornado. They brag that Tom Clark is always right, well I'll tell you this, I have 2 TVs in my living room, from 5pm-6:30pm...One TV is on WNEP and One is on WBRE, and WBRE's AccuWeather has been right 6 out of the last 7 days, and WNEP was only right 3 out of the 7.

But people complain on "Talkback 16" about the weather and stuff all the time, but they don't do anything about it.

Please WNEP...You're making me sick...:(

Ntropolis,

I found that video on YouTube of WTKR in 2001 (No Sound). Is that yours?? If so, I wanted to tell you how blown away I was when I saw that and saw that WTKR is using now...Thank God that TKR was using Ignitor by 615 Music at that point. If they were also using MCTYW, (if I were a viewer in that market at that time) I'd probably scream!!! LOL.

Maybe WNEP might use the same graphics that WTKR has...they fit the color scheme that WNEP has on their set.

Archived