WABC to launch 4pm news

wabceyewitness

WABC will debut a 4pm newscast once Oprah ends her daytime show. Interesting move considering 4pm newscasts have traditionally failed in New York. As the following article mentions, however, "Eyewitness News at 4" will certainly cost less than Oprah.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wabc-to-launch-1-hour-newscast-in-oprah-timeslot_b6242

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it will be interesting for sure. I wonder if Diana and Sade will anchor?

As I mentioned a whille back, there has been talk around the station of teams for a while. It will either be Bill and Liz at 4, 6 & 11, or Sade & Diana at 4 & 6 and Bill & Liz at 5 & 11. The same team will not anchor for 2 hours straight.

There's also the possibility of an entirely new team to work into the mix, but from my understanding, that's not the plan as of now.

There's also the possibility of an entirely new team to work into the mix, but from my understanding, that's not the plan as of now.

I'm surprised they're not doing exactly that; that's what WPVI is doing and it probably helps set the 4pm apart from the 5 and the 6. I think one of the challenges of doing 2.5 hours of afternoon news is keeping each part unique from the others.

I hope they don't just throw Bill and Liz on at 4, 6, and 11 or just have Diana and Sade do two hours straight.

Bring in a new anchor combo and let the 4pm have it's own identity. Personally, I think Diana and Lori make an awesome team together. If you've ever seen them together at 5pm when Lori fills in you'll know it wasn't an easy decision to let her stay in the AM where they needed her for ratings rather than taking over for Roz.

I hope they don't just throw Bill and Liz on at 4, 6, and 11 or just have Diana and Sade do two hours straight.

Bring in a new anchor combo and let the 4pm have it's own identity. Personally, I think Diana and Lori make an awesome team together. If you've ever seen them together at 5pm when Lori fills in you'll know it wasn't an easy decision to let her stay in the AM where they needed her for ratings rather than taking over for Roz.

You know, there actually was talk about having Lori and Ken anchor at 4 - however, it would really be a risk moving them off the morning show.

I would love to see Lori and Diana at 4, Sade & Liz at 5, Diana & Bill at 6 and Liz & Bill at 11. It'll never happen, but hey, all great teams.

If there is a new anchor team put in place, which still isn't the talk around the newsroom, I would expect David Novarro to be part of it. Possibly David & Michelle Charlesworth - but again, it's highly speculative, as the current thinking is sticking with the current evening teams.

it's funny, because when the news originally broke around the station that there would be a 4PM newscast, everyone started to wonder about the possible return of Roz.

It's not going to happen... but it was fun listening to the speculation. lol.

it's funny, because when the news originally broke around the station that there would be a 4PM newscast, everyone started to wonder about the possible return of Roz.

It's not going to happen... but it was fun listening to the speculation. lol.

We can only dream.

I think it would make sense to have Roz come back to launch a 4:00 p.m. newscast.

I had a similar thought when WPVI announced their 4:00 p.m. show...why not have Lisa Thomas Laury front the new show? A popular anchor rather than three relatively unknowns.

I think it would make sense to have Roz come back to launch a 4:00 p.m. newscast.

I had a similar thought when WPVI announced their 4:00 p.m. show...why not have Lisa Thomas Laury front the new show? A popular anchor rather than three relatively unknowns.

Roz Abrams and David Novarro anchoring the 4pm (or Roz and Diana) would be awesome. Very unlikely though...

Couple of reasons:

1.) There's been somewhat of a youth movement over at WPVI. The three anchors they chose - Brian Taff, Shirleen Allicott, and Alicia Vitarelli - became prominent reporters almost immediately after joining the station. Taff, for example, is one of the lead 11pm reporters now. It was extremely obvious that they were going to put Taff and Allicott in anchor roles as soon as something opened up. Also, let's face it - Gardner is in his mid-60s. Lisa's close to that age. I think Rick and Monica are in their 50s. They're not going to be around forever.

2.) Many of the newer hires at 6 are, in fact, quite popular. It might surprise you that the first 6 personality to reach 10,000 followers on Facebook (a trivial stat I know) isn't Jim, or Lisa, or Cecily - it's Adam Joseph, who'll be doing the weather on the 4. I think this speaks to what I feel is the biggest strength about 6 - their "farm system" as I put it. No other station in the country does a better job at introducing and nurturing anchors and reporters than WPVI.

3.) Most importantly, I think Lisa's probably happy with her reduced role as a contributor and part-time sub. I think that if she was eager to return to the desk full time, we would have seen her by now.

The 4pm news might premiere sooner than you think. I'm hearing it could be as early as May when Oprah goes into summer reruns. And unlike WPVI, don't look for too much effort as they don't expect a ratings coup with this newscast.

The 4pm news might premiere sooner than you think. I'm hearing it could be as early as May when Oprah goes into summer reruns. And unlike WPVI, don't look for too much effort as they don't expect a ratings coup with this newscast.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Why endure three months of reruns...

WLS is considering beginning their 9am Oprah replacement in June, waiving the summer reruns in order to build and develop an audience while potential viewers have some time off; so I'm pretty sure launching in May/June isn't out of the question for WABC (or anyone else, for that matter).

All published reports say the season ends Sept. 9. I'm assuming that just means that's the last day CBS Television Distribution will feed Oprah to stations?

Sure - I believe syndicated "seasons" run Sept - Sept. So although a show may be in reruns for the months of June/July/August - it's still considered to be part of the current "Season" of the program. More than likely, the last "live" show to be broadcast in May would be rebroadast on Sept 9. At that point, the "season" (by calendar) would be over, and a new one (if there were one) would start the following Monday.

Archived