WABC Getting a New Helicopter

nynewslover

Correct. heard it left here in Fla and was sent for new paint job then up to NYC.:puke:

You know, one would think that a flagship O&O station would have the funding to purchase a whole new chopper but I guess that's not the case.. I hope it serves them well though. :) So are they replacing a chopper? Or are they gettig a third one? I know one of their choppers belongs to MetroTraffic and it's not HD enabled.

You know, one would think that a flagship O&O station would have the funding to purchase a whole new chopper but I guess that's not the case.. I hope it serves them well though. :puke: So are they replacing a chopper? Or are they gettig a third one? I know one of their choppers belongs to MetroTraffic and it's not HD enabled.

Stations don't buy the helicopters, they lease them from places like Helicopters Inc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is WABC the only NYC station with their own helicopter?

WCBS and WPIX share one and WNBC and WNYW share one.

Does WABC still have access to video from the MetroCopter from Metro Traffic?

I remember a few years ago WABC running a promo about having the two helicopters.

Is WABC the only NYC station with their own helicopter?

WCBS and WPIX share one and WNBC and WNYW share one.

Does WABC still have access to video from the MetroCopter from Metro Traffic?

I remember a few years ago WABC running a promo about having the two helicopters.

I stil think they have the 2nd one. Whenever its not in HD widescreen format, I think its from the 2nd one.. I know they used to call the second one, the Metro Traffic Helicopter. Then they started referring to it also as NewsCopter 7 (with the bug and verbally)

Here is the promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHRnSmhoFZI

What's the justification for the need for two helicopters? Is there really that much breaking news to cover. I hope it's not going to be an overkill like what WCBS did with Mobile2. They use that for everything nowadays. WCBS even referred to Mobile2 when they had a camera inside a NYC taxi cab for a story they did.

They actually don't use the second chopper all the time, I think the second chopper belongs to a different organization, Metro Traffic, they work together, but I don't believe WABC owns or leases that chopper. And as ABC 7 Man said, (btw ABC 7 Man, long time no see! Good to see you back again! :)) that chopper, the metro traffic one, is not in High Definition and is actually older than the previous chopper they had and if they are still using that chopper its probably older than this new chopper as well.

The new NewsCopter7 is officially here.

Here's the new promo: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=7992424

I'm now guessing the reason that promo was delayed is because they needed to wait until there was a fire, so they could get the usual "firemen fighting a fire from a ladder truck" shot that's in every helicopter promo. :)

Archived