Patrice King Brown Leaving KDKA-TV

jestbiteme

The inevitable has happened-- Pittsburgh (and KDKA, for that matter) mainstay Patrice King Brown has announced she's retiring from KDKA-TV in a little over a week. Get the detail from the Trib below.

I wish it weren't true, but I wish her luck!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_718808.html

20110120-183q7ib2865xubt2mpdins25j3.jpg

Not Patrice! She is one of my favorites. She is a great journalist and seems like a really nice woman. I hope KDKA gives her a nice send-off. I think we can all assume that Kristine Sorensen will be promoted to main anchor.

Regarding Kristine: I surely hope not. That woman has the warmth of an arctic glacier and the enchantment of a wet cat. Her delivery is abrupt, clumsy and inelegant.

My first choice would be Jennifer Antkowiak, although she may not even be interested, with her school-age children. Plus she and Rick Dayton have dramatically improved the morning ratings at the station.

My second choice? Give Sheila Hyland a call. She has the experience, the talent and the charisma. Stacy and Ken wouldn't have to carry her like they do Kristine. Michelle Wright, even though she's likely under a non-compete, would be a nice addition, too.

Stay away from Stephanie Watson, who's talent is above Kristine's level, but still just "OK," because she's also gelid.

No matter which way they go, KDKA can never really replace Patrice.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to two retrospectives from her two co-anchors, Patrice was given the entire day today in her honor. KDKA devoted the last ten minutes of the 6PM hour to Stacy Smith's interview as well as a good cry and hugs from Jeff Verszyla and Jon Burnett. I hate watching someone leave like this, especially when the love behind the scenes is so real. I'll have the 6PM retro on YouTube later in HD, but for now, here is a bit of everything in a special page KDKA has put together:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/farewell-patrice-king-brown/

Good luck, Patrice.

Archived