New Look and Logo for WCAU?

WCAUTVNBC10

Also, all the opens are randomized. That means there's no one open that necessarily opens each newscast - so you will likely see something different from day to day. I think that's a really cool and unique idea, especially considering that many stations just use the same animation with a different time added to the graphic (if that).

Also, I've seen one more animation, bringing the total to an even dozen - 8 dayside, 4 nightside. That seems about right.

(Also for those wondering - no, the PHL 17 newscast hasn't changed opens or music)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp folks WCAU's got a new open and new music and it looks like they've gone the route that WTVJ has taken by updating the open but keeping Look C for now.

[yt]xSvWGluGGHk[/yt]

I can't get over that NASTY clip of Dawn's mic and the awkward music switch...

LOVE the new open and the music package. I believe they are using one of the cuts from The Rock ... one of my fav NBC themes. Good for them picking it up. One of the better themes they had. I like it just as much as their custom NBC10 theme they had years back. Well done.

LOVE the new open and the music package. I believe they are using one of the cuts from The Rock ... one of my fav NBC themes. Good for them picking it up. One of the better themes they had. I like it just as much as their custom NBC10 theme they had years back. Well done.

Right composer, wrong package, wrong production company. It's Chad Cook but it's the 360 music NBC O&O package. Same one KNSD is using just different cuts.

• 7 months later...

Hate bump this thread from the dead but it should be brought back since it looks like a new look and logo are in order for WCAU in the near future. They're already using a new logo (and interestingly enough not the one featured on the header of the website (or in my avatar for that matter) on station promotional materials:

NBC10logo.thumb.jpg.79124bbff781cb29741b2a12dcb8d2e8.jpg

Hate bump this thread from the dead but it should be brought back since it looks like a new look and logo are in order for WCAU in the near future. They're already using a new logo (and interestingly enough not the one featured on the header of the website (or in my avatar for that matter) on station promotional materials:

No offense to SusquValleyWGAL, but that new logo shown in that attachment is better than the 1995-present logo.

I, for one, like the new logo.

The 10 itself is a very nice, distinctive one that echoes the current logo while not copying it. While yeah, I kinda liked the version Eric mocked up a bit more, I do like how it stands out nice and tall.

I also don't know if it's intentional or not, but the logo layout that apparently is going to be used really reminds me of the way the "big 10" logo was laid out during the 80s - smallish CBS eye next to the big logo. I'm actually surprised NBC let them reduce the peacock that much in the new logo, to be honest.

Let's be honest, though. The 10NBC logo has been used, unmodified, for over 16 years. That's a long lifespan. And while the big 10 lasted longer, they refreshed the design and layout every few years. I think the brass at 10 has been SCREAMING for a new logo for a long time now (I think that's why they didn't use one in a promo campaign two years ago, and they embraced the block logo more throughly than any other station). It's a much-needed refresh and I can't wait to see it in actual use.

I also don't know if it's intentional or not, but the logo layout that apparently is going to be used really reminds me of the way the "big 10" logo was laid out during the 80s - smallish CBS eye next to the big logo. I'm actually surprised NBC let them reduce the peacock that much in the new logo, to be honest.

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing on all counts. I will say it's growing on me, and I look forward to seeing what it feels like in actual use, whether in advertising, signage, or on-air. And seriously, it's about time the station logo reads the same as the station name.

For reference, here are some examples of the 70s/80s treatment of the 10 logo HulkieD was discussing:

Wcau70s.jpg 175px-Wcau_10news_a.jpg 175px-Wcau91.jpg vs Screen shot 2012-01-12 at 8.37.36 PM.png

This is what I'm nearly 100% sure we'd get if they sold off KYW.

CBS10HD-sm.jpg

Obviously they'd be using the O&O package now, but I think they'd have become "CBS 10" in May 1997 along with the three CBS 2s, probably with a futura 10 like this. They'd have finally dumped PNP then, and I think they would have moved to Enforcer. I could see them periodically getting different themes, but they would have stayed with the O&O signature.

As far as programming and content, CBS 10 would be very, very similar to the CBS 3 we have now. I'd probably go so far to say that the daytime schedule would be identical. As for news, they'd be producing the normal lineup for them and 7-9 and 10pm newscasts for their CW duopoly partner:

CW29.jpg

If WCAU stayed CBS I'm pretty sure Fox would have gone through with its purchase of WGBS. Paramount would have kept 29, switched it to UPN, and would have gotten the CW affiliation for the same reason I think 57 got it for (it was the largest market CBS had a UPN station).

And I'm done before this turns into a Fantasy TV thread...

Haha, nice. I bet if KYW hadn't been forced through the CBS mandate, they'd still have some semblance of a local identity. And in our fantasy land, for God's sake, can they PLEASE still use the KYW-signatured New Millennium package?

And we're now firmly out of fantasy territory because the new logo just appeared for the first time on the air:

NewNBC10LogoOnAir.jpg

Yes, it's supposed to look carved like that. The image was made out of cubes of different textures which rotated to the image.

Something tells me we're getting something very soon....

And we're now firmly out of fantasy territory because the new logo just appeared for the first time on the air:

NewNBC10LogoOnAir.jpg

Yes, it's supposed to look carved like that. The image was made out of cubes of different textures which rotated to the image.

Something tells me we're getting something very soon....

They clearly don't have a logo toolkit yet or that logo wouldn't look so sloppy (notice how the peacock and NBC lettering appears squished) so I wouldn't think it would be coming real soon. I'm interested in seeing which look they decide to go with either the KNTV look or the KXAS look (or if they have something we haven't seen yet).

Anywho here's the segment:

[yt]2s_Nlmf8sQs[/yt]

• 3 weeks later...

The new logo is not appearing on their facebook page.

It def was up there for a few mins. Looks like they took it down for now.

EDIT: It's still up there in their profile photos. Looks like they've uploaded it early in prep to launch it today.

Archived