New Look and Logo for WCAU?

WCAUTVNBC10

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think at this point we should all wait and see. And I also think you should stop putting predictions to the debut, you have been off the mark since you started.

Really now? This whole message board is based off rumor and speculation. You should climb off your high horse and get over yourself.

Yeah, But what you said was stupid and it was rightful ripped a new one.

It wasn't stupid, it was an opinion... And it turned out to be correct, too.

Que simply needs to grow up. He obviously can't tell the difference between speculation and sourced fact and with that being the case he just needs to be ignored.

Oh I understand... Dude just do not take things so personally. I was just stating what I have been seeing. Anyways, back to real discussion. :D

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:49 PM

Those are great. It's safe to say the new look should debut tomorrow if this campaign is launching tomorrow.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

New station promos are now using the new logo. My guess is that Monday's the day:

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

I've given up trying to predict when this look is going to debut but it's safe to say sometime before the 28th. Another 10! Show promo has surfaced with the new logo:

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

Maybe just maybe the new look debuts here tomorrow. Promo out for Survive & Thrive that features the new logo and Futura is also used in the promo.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

And to add more fuel to the fire WCAU updated the duratran on their set and from what little I saw of it (they are really trying to keep it off camera) it looks a lot like their news van wrap with the skyline and glass peacock outline. Looks like tomorrow might actually be it.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

New promo for the 7PM debuted today with what looks like part of the new open. At this point all signs point to WCAU launching the new look and logo in May which incidentally starts Sunday:

Like I said, move on people. Just stating my own opinion, at this point no one knows as to the debut.

Oh I understand... Dude just do not take things so personally. I was just stating what I have been seeing. Anyways, back to real discussion. :D

Like I said, move on people. Just stating my own opinion, at this point no one knows as to the debut.

:agree:

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't talked much about this in a while...

Walked past the Comcast Center today, and I saw two town cars in livery featuring the new NBC 10 logo.

As an aside: has anyone heard any plans about 10 moving any ops to the Comcast Center? I know Comcast leases about 80% of the building. Does NBCU actually own the City Avenue site outright, or would there be any cost savings in 10 moving over to the Center?

Walked past the Comcast Center today, and I saw two town cars in livery featuring the new NBC 10 logo.

As an aside: has anyone heard any plans about 10 moving any ops to the Comcast Center? I know Comcast leases about 80% of the building. Does NBCU actually own the City Avenue site outright, or would there be any cost savings in 10 moving over to the Center?

Hulkie discussed this possibility a bit here: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/7237-nbc-oo-rebranding-on-hold/page__view__findpost__p__70157

I could see it maybe happening at some point IF it is convenient for them in a way that the current set-up is not (which may not be the case). If it does happen, I would imagine it would be a slow transition, with 10 first trying it out with taped, lower-priority things like Nonstop programming and the "10! Show" before going through the trouble of moving/building a full news set, newsroom, control room, etc. (which may just not be worth the trouble).

It doesn't seem likely to me right now, but maybe they'll think about it a few years down the line (once they have one logo, one/two station names, one consistent graphics package, etc.)

By the way, did we ever get numbers for Nonstop? I'm curious to see how they're doing with that.

Town Cars? I know they have a few Crown Vics but Town Cars?

NBC does own 10 Monument and has since they bought the station. I doubt given how friendly the city is to corporate residents (rolls eyes) anyone at WCAU would want to move downtown. I'm quite sure none of the employees would be thrilled about now having to pay city wage tax. I could see them building an auxiliary studio there in the future though.

Town Cars? I know they have a few Crown Vics but Town Cars?

NBC does own 10 Monument and has since they bought the station. I doubt given how friendly the city is to corporate residents (rolls eyes) anyone at WCAU would want to move downtown. I'm quite sure none of the employees would be thrilled about now having to pay city wage tax. I could see them building an auxiliary studio there in the future though.

10 is on the Bala Cynwyd side of City Line, right? So they don't pay wage tax? (For those out of towners, City Avenue is often called City Line because it quite literally is the city line - while 6 and 10 are literally across the street, one is in the city and one is in the suburbs)

Also, as I said in the other thread, Comcast owns both their television studios in town (both 10 Monument and CSN's studios at the Whatever The Bank Is Called This Week Center), but their space at Comcast Center is leased. If they wanted to bring everything together at Comcast Center, they would, but I don't know how much space is set up there for TV broadcasting. (I kept hearing some part of Versus was going to be based at Comcast Center, but that was before the NBC takeover.)

• 3 weeks later...

Welp folks WCAU's got a new open and new music and it looks like they've gone the route that WTVJ has taken by updating the open but keeping Look C for now.

[yt]xSvWGluGGHk[/yt]

Holy crap that music is SWEET. Sounds like the 360 pack San Diego is using, but a much more powerful cut. And I also like the "NBC 10 NEWS" open they created.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree about the theme: It summarizes very effectively what I can't stand moden-day news music.

Is this a rock concert or is it the news? Twenty or thirty years ago, U.S. news music was the best in the world, but now much of it has moved in a weird, rock-like, electric guitar-driven, entertainment-oriented direction that I despise. Generally speaking, I'd say that Europe has the upper edge in news music now, particularly in terms of creativity and sophistication.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree about the theme: It summarizes very effectively what I can't stand moden-day news music.

Is this a rock concert or is it the news? Twenty or thirty years ago, U.S. news music was the best in the world, but now much of it has moved in a weird, rock-like, electric guitar-driven, entertainment-oriented direction that I despise. Generally speaking, I'd say that Europe has the upper edge in news music now, particularly in terms of creativity and sophistication.

Totally agree about the music used today. I do think high-energy music has its place, and fits well on some stations. However, the loud, pounding themes have helped form the stereotypical homogeneous local news feel we know today.

Is the new O&O look dead?

Your guess is as good as mine. Many of the newer promos have the still-current logo, but they're still running the "This Is" promos with the new O&O logo. So... I really have no idea. My gut is saying it may be dead, because why make these rather nicely produced opens?

Also, something that hasn't been said here - but there have to be at least a dozen of these opens and rejoins. Nearly every one I've seen so far has used a different background, all unique. I'm pretty sure this was shot with the new look in mind (I think they had a KNSD-style open in a promo with one of the backgrounds), but for some reason they've been adapted. If they randomize these opens (the voiceovers are generic), that would be really sweet...

Is the new O&O look dead?

I don't think so. I think this is a temporary refresh of the graphics and an early start on the music. I say this because while they changed the opens and commercial bumper music, they didn't change a single thing graphics or music wise within the actual newscast. Bumps for breaking news, consumer, health, national and international headlines and such are all still using Gari music. It should be interesting to see where this goes.

So when we said there were a ton of various opens and rejoins that come with this refresh we weren't kidding. Here is a compilation of stuff that was used in the 4, 5 and 7PM newscasts and at the end of the 7PM there was a nice close that was unfortunately cut off by the automated master control before it was over:

[yt]REqmDakrDcE[/yt]

[yt]Gcj4AN3X2w8[/yt]

[yt]v3cIe5YPkcQ[/yt]

There seem to be two "sets" of these sequences: dayside and nightside. The morning newscasts and the 4-6 news block are using the dayside packages, while the 7pm and the 11pm are using the nightside stuff. From my count, there are at least 11 animations - 7 for dayside, 4 for nightside. Considering 3 only made three versions of their current open (and can only be bothered to use two of them), all ripped from stock Philadelphia tourism department footage, that's impressive.

Archived