New Look and Logo for WCAU?

WCAUTVNBC10

First WPVI radically (relative term there) changes their logo now WCAU maybe doing the same most likely in the wake of a potential new standard look down the pike from the network. They've gotten new live trucks with a new look and this new logo that I've now also seen on reporters' shirts. Their new traffic center is also donned with a single lined version of this logo:

166891_172730609428880_165519903483284_303922_75569_n.jpg

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adding to this, I've seen versions of this logo popping up on Chicago and New York, but those versions omit the channel number. Apparently NBC is letting CAU keep the 10, which flies in the face of the total unbranding of the other stations that has been rumored...

I am mostly opposed to the whole rebranding concept network-wide (stupid WMAQ), but I actually kind of like the blue skyline with the peacock overlay backdrop to the logo. I really shouldn't, but I do; it looks nice...almost (?)

looks like the yellow peacock feather and the clouds look is going away like in the current graphics, so thats why KNSD's remodel has a lot of blue lighting on the set.

hmm new o&o graphics on its way?

i saw a KNSD van yesterday, they still havent got a new body wrap, then again they always had unmarked vans or its a small NBC 7/39 logo with the basic NBCSANDIEGO.COM under it.... not that pacman font they currently have on their o&o sites

4883969611_bc6db16316.jpg

NBC%20San%20Diego%20logo.jpg

Looks like KNBC up here is doing the unbranding thing, too, as I heard Colleen Williams utter the words "NBC LA @ 11" in the 10 pm tease. Haven't seen any newly body-wrapped ENG vans yet, but methinks that things may be changing there too...=[

I could be wrong' date=' but it seems like the O&O's are gunning for a change in branding/graphics by February.[/quote']

That's the plan.. However, with resources (both staffing and financial) extremely limited at most of the O&O's, it may take longer for some for the full change. These branding changes have been in the works since early last year. The original plan was that this was supposed to be all done was by last August/September but got put off with executive concentration being shifted to the sale to Comcast.

Last I heard back in December, 6 of the O&O's have got orders for the new vehicle wraps in.. Maybe the others have now? We'll just have to be on news van watch to see. haha..

That's the plan.. However, with resources (both staffing and financial) extremely limited at most of the O&O's, it may take longer for some for the full change. These branding changes have been in the works since early last year. The original plan was that this was supposed to be all done was by last August/September but got put off with executive concentration being shifted to the sale to Comcast.

Last I heard back in December, 6 of the O&O's have got orders for the new vehicle wraps in.. Maybe the others have now? We'll just have to be on news van watch to see. haha..

So is this stacked logo going to be standard across the group? And the new graphics are they going to be anything like the network promo look? While I really like that look I don't think they are good enough to be news graphics.

They're rolling out new advertising across bus stops and presumably print media with a very big rendition of this new logo. Same as on the wraps, complete with 10.

My question is this - why does WCAU get to keep the 10 when, apparently, every other NBC O&O is losing their channel number? That's something I find very curious - perhaps it has something to do with CAU's 10 show?

They're rolling out new advertising across bus stops and presumably print media with a very big rendition of this new logo. Same as on the wraps, complete with 10.

My question is this - why does WCAU get to keep the 10 when, apparently, every other NBC O&O is losing their channel number? That's something I find very curious - perhaps it has something to do with CAU's 10 show?

It could be that since WCAU's one of the better performing O&Os they are hesitant to do anything drastic like dropping the 10 from the station moniker. Also 10 has so much history rooted in it, that I think there would be backlash if they were to do something like that.

Also for those of you that haven't seen, this is 10's new traffic center that debuted last month:

Image0.jpg.854ab19477878b0542b77c8dc4974954.jpg

Not sure if this is the right place but since we're sharing hints of the new look, this is a bus stop ad for WNBC that was up for a few weeks. (I fail to see how this really promotes the station... If that woman were an anchor or a reporter, that would be one thing.)

WNBC-Dec2010.jpg.baf378ee90a51c43098f8c32c06d8968.jpg

Not sure if this is the right place but since we're sharing hints of the new look, this is a bus stop ad for WNBC that was up for a few weeks. (I fail to see how this really promotes the station... If that woman were an anchor or a reporter, that would be one thing.)

It's the new company wide image campaign.. It's to promote that the station is made of people of the city (market) and to connect the station more with the people of the market.

Chicago was one of the first of the O&O's with the new campaign. There are literally a hundred or so different images of different random people doing different/random things or occupations (all from the market that the station is in) that are on billboards, busses, train stations, busstops, taxis, etc. including some quote such as "I am busy right now", "I am watching over you", or "I am asking questions" or any quote tied to a regular person that can be tied to the station. You should start seeing the actual video of the image/promos on-air on the stations too very soon.

Here's something that was passed on to me from someone at an NBC O&O.. "The whole idea of the new image for the NBC stations is to do something completely different than what has been done in the past. You won't be seeing traditional image promotions/campaigns. Ads for the station won't be the traditional picture of station talent looking pretty. It's going to be different than what people are used to to grab your attention."

Here's a Chicago Sun-Times column kind of explaining it: http://www.suntimes.com/business/2748104-452/channel-news-wmaq-late-ratings.html

There were a video or 2 of a couple of the actual on-air promos (I believe on YouTube) but were taken down for some reason.

Ads for the station won't be the traditional picture of station talent looking pretty.

Well, that ad with the new logo I saw was... a traditional picture of the station talent looking pretty. (It was specifically for their morning team.)

I get the feeling that 10 still has some autonomy from the centralized creative of the NBC O&Os because I've been seeing none of those fancy "I Am This City" type ads here. I know they still have a dedicated creative services department unlike the other O&Os, but I don't know how involved they are in station operations these days (the idea was that they produced ads for local businesses).

I know they still have a dedicated creative services department unlike the other O&Os, but I don't know how involved they are in station operations these days (the idea was that they produced ads for local businesses).

Well they still handle and produce all of the the station's promos in addition to producing ads for local businesses.

^ This.

10 is still using the "Give People What They Want" promo package on air. Pretty heavily, actually. That's all being done in house.

And keep in mind that Philadelphia is a pretty unique market -- the number one station, even with its new gfx, is a venerable broadcasting relic. Couple that with the broadcasting history in the city -- what other market so heavily branded their stations by channel assignment in the same way as Philadelphia? While New York and Boston, for example, identified primarily with their calls (think WNBT and WBZ), Philadelphia has almost always been KYW3, 6 (even in the WFIL days), and some form of (x)10. You're looking at generations of viewers who know their stations best by now outdated channel numbers. If you're not sure I'm right, think back to the Fox Philadelphia days of 29.

All that said, smart move on Kabletown's part to let 10 keep their branding decisions in house.

"You won't be seeing traditional image promotions/campaigns. Ads for the station won't be the traditional picture of station talent looking pretty. It's going to be different than what people are used to to grab your attention."

If anything it actually looks quite generic/interchangeable, rather than attention-getting. Might as well be a placeholder picture for an unsold bus shelter spot.

If anything it actually looks quite generic/interchangeable, rather than attention-getting. Might as well be a placeholder picture for an unsold bus shelter spot.

It has caught the attention of quite a few in Chicago and has been a topic of discussion on various city of Chicago message boards, blogs, articles, etc.. I personally don't the campaign will work to the extent the station/network is expecting but it appears to have worked a little bit. Plus, when seeing the NBC Chicago ads next to other ads up at the same stops, stations, taxis, busses, billboards, etc., they do really pop out with all the bold colors used and full photos because everything else now seems to just use a plain white background with the specific item, logo, or person being advertised. The background is the forefront of the ad while the actual "NBC Chicago" is in much smaller wording. Not many other ads out now are very colorful..

The network appears to have spend ALOT for every single bus shelter and train station spot in the Chicago market they could get their hands on.. Last time I took the Metra train from the very far northwest suburbs to the city, almost every board at every station passed was an NBC Chicago ad. I'm seeing the ads everywhere. It's even more than all the ads that were up promoting Diann Burns and Antonio Mora on CBS2. NBC isn't skimping around with this.

I've seen those ads around the bay area promoting the new morning weather anchor. In addition, they have also started using some of these graphics on the air as part of their "We are the Bay Area" promos and daytime lineups. I'll try to get a cellphone shot next time i'm out and about.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived