KNTV New Set

News24/7

I'm not saying there's a problem with it' date=' just seems ugly.[/quote']

I don't think it's an ugly desk.

My definition of an ugly desk is more like this (with apologies to the people at KYW):

KYWNewDesk.jpg

I'd prefer their legs visible than hidden behind something like that.

I don't think it's an ugly desk.

My definition of an ugly desk is more like this (with apologies to the people at KYW):

KYWNewDesk.jpg

I'd prefer their legs visible than hidden behind something like that.

Ack! When did they go to that? I liked the old one!

KYWNewDesk.jpg

I don't want to get too far off-topic, but has KYW shared a set designer with WBBM in recent years? I ask because this desk bears a small resemblence to the current 'BBM desk (not the one pictured here) and the set looks alot like what Channel 2 had when they first moved to the new building. 2878336162_c4fc4b09e3_o.jpg

I don't want to get too far off-topic, but has KYW shared a set designer with WBBM in recent years? I ask because this desk bears a small resemblence to the current 'BBM desk (not the one pictured here) and the set looks alot like what Channel 2 had when they first moved to the new building.
They're both designed by Jack Morton/PDG if I recall correctly.

They're both designed by Jack Morton/PDG if I recall correctly.

You're correct. He also designed WGN's set. All 3 sets pretty much have/had the same platform under their anchor desks.

KYW took interest in WBBM's current anchor desk so they had a new one made with the "bulge" in the front.. The more I look at it, I'm liking KYW's new desk better than their old. It has a fresher look to it. Plus, the monitor in front of the anchor desk trend is fading away now too.

WBBM's current anchor desk is really just the desk that was originally in the newsroom. They just switched that desk with the tall one with the 2 stools which is what they use in the newsroom now.

WBBM really should pull the old/original desk out of the storage room and fix the set to how it originally was just replacing the fake monitor wall with a a couple skyline duratrans.. However, from what I heard, it's never going to happen..

Someone asked a while back around here what did WBBM do to the sign above the old main backdrop that had the CBS 2 logo with the "cbs2chicago.com" on each side of it.. It was taken down. The whole board was removed so there is nothing up there at all now.

cbs2desk.jpg.e173e6340234fb2fe2cfce4542d830da.jpg

I do like WBBMs set the way it is now, it gives the studio SO much depth, much like the design did during the 2001-2002 "Works for You" era.

The depth comes at losing the ability to use the set the way it was designed to be used. It also looks ridiculous. There's a desk behind the anchor desk for crying out loud.

The depth comes at losing the ability to use the set the way it was designed to be used. It also looks ridiculous. There's a desk behind the anchor desk for crying out loud.

...And you'd think they'd use it sometimes. Even if they move it to another portion of the set, it would add some movement to the newscasts. As it stands, no one ever moves from the desk, except for weather. :bang:

Speaking of weather, since they sometimes had 2 meteorologists in-studio this week, it was the first time in a long time (that I can recall) they showed the weather center.

...And you'd think they'd use it sometimes. Even if they move it to another portion of the set, it would add some movement to the newscasts. As it stands, no one ever moves from the desk, except for weather. :bang:

You're right...I loved the wide array of movement that WBBM had on their set in its original form, especially for the first newscast in HD that can be seen on YouTube. All sorts of standup tosses, wide shots, zooms, etc. can be done with a spacious design like that, in a way contrbuting to the newscast being more interesting. With that said, I love the depth, but miss when the set was in it's original configuration and felt less restricted.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like KNTV finally realized that a lot of people can't read the weather off a 55 inch lcd. especially when watching in HD with the whole safe zone crap... Green Screen is back for the weather now.

I really don't get the reason why some stations choose to do the weather in front of a flat panel. I guess WNBC can pull it off because theirs is so big, but a chromakey looks better in HD... you gotta showcase those weather graphics in full!

As a matter of fact, NBC Bay Area has a good sized rear projection screen behind the evening set comparable to WNBC's screen. There is one issue however. Because the studio is no longer equipped a rotating anchor desk, it cannot be used as a screen to do the weather without extremely tight shots and awkward camera angles which would only be suitable for say, a topical promo. Now, as the chromakey is concerned, there have been some see through meteorologists lately, however the problem seems like it has been resolved as of tonight’s 11pm newscast.

Archived