Action News Disabled by Technical Problems

FJ2000

Now that I live on the west coast, I've only learned about a few details by emails and text messages from friends in Philadelphia, so I haven't seen it myself. Apparently, Lisa Thomas-Laury was anchoring this weekend, and she apologized for the technical difficulties and they turned to a the satellite feed of "World News" weekend edition in progress.

I was watching. It started out fine; Adam Joseph was at the Big Board and talked about the rainstorm coming tomorrow and Lisa did the promo for 6abc.com, then she read some stories off her script without any graphics, then the graphics came back and she tossed to Katherine Scott who reported on the Army/Navy game. After that, Lisa mentioned the technical difficulties and said that they would switch to World News until they could sort it out.

I know that newscasts are now mostly ran by automation but why couldn't they just go "caveman" and do the news anyway. WFLA did a newscast in their parking lot when the power went out in their building all night back in 1998 or 1999. If you can only use one camera, so be it. They were the last ones to use a magnetic board for weather, I'm sure the viewers could care less how it's presented.

I know that newscasts are now mostly ran by automation but why couldn't they just go "caveman" and do the news anyway. WFLA did a newscast in their parking lot when the power went out in their building all night back in 1998 or 1999. If you can only use one camera, so be it. They were the last ones to use a magnetic board for weather, I'm sure the viewers could care less how it's presented.

That all takes time to set up. If the automation crashed 10 minutes before the show there would be no time to Frankenstein an alternative.

If they got the kind of automation that doesn't even have a physical switcher there's really no alternative. They could patch in a ENG/SNG truck but like Todd mentioned, that takes time.

Automation crashed on us one afternoon a couple of years ago. We took the evening shows, all 2 and a half hours, on the road and did live shots from the food bank and the animal shelter. We made it a "Taking Action Special Report"... one of us read headlines off of a BlackBerry. Never want to do that again!

Automation crashed on us one afternoon a couple of years ago. We took the evening shows, all 2 and a half hours, on the road and did live shots from the food bank and the animal shelter. We made it a "Taking Action Special Report"... one of us read headlines off of a BlackBerry. Never want to do that again!

You took the show on the road, I had to dump out altogether and take "Cops"... 11pm on a Thursday night during sweeps.

Archived