"Big Changes" coming soon at whatever they're calling WMAQ

24994J

As time goes on, WMAQ is presumably going to begin making more noticable changes on and off the broadcasts; so I, as a regular viewer, will keep track of the transition on this page. If anyone else notices things that are not already mentioned, please contribute...

-I'll start with the many holiday promos, which just wrapped up airing. They featured most of the core weekday talent (no sports anchor that I noticed), giving their holiday wishes from "NBC Chicago".

-I just noticed a really minor change tonight; the NBC5 logo on the front of the Tower desk has been replaced with a blue NBC peacock. Like I said, this isn't a big change, but it does suggest that the set(s) will remain perhaps until after the rebranding. How long? Who knows...

In other news, I've seen WNBC airing promos for "NBC NEW YORK NEWS AT 11", and promos touting sponsorship deals from "NBC New York". Logo is essentially what they're using for the nonstops.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps they need to commission a redo of their unused 1993 design?

I like that logo. Reminds me of WLWT's current logo. If they freshen it up, I think it would look great, if only they weren't centralizing everything and making every station devoid of it's unique branding. NBC seems to be falling from grace as quickly as mini-vans did during the later 2000's!

Oh, if those are gonna be the graphics for this new unbranding thing, I'll be awfully dissapointed for KNBC out here! In a 10pm tease,Colleen Williams uttered the words "NBC LA @ 11" instead of the faithfully said "Channel 4 News at 11", so it looks like the corporate unbranding wave is about to hit Los Angeles....gonna miss "Look C", if a mass graphical change is indeed in the works like the thinking above is...

In a 10pm tease,Colleen Williams uttered the words "NBC LA @ 11" instead of the faithfully said "Channel 4 News at 11", so it looks like the corporate unbranding wave is about to hit Los Angeles.

OH MY GOD!! NBC is really asking for abomination. NBC LA News, NBC NY News, NBC (insert city), COME ON!!! How much longer can this so-BS complexion destruction go on at NBC? I wish Jeff Zucker was never the exec, bc he ruined NBC. I wish I could run programming at WNBC and create a 4pm newscast, so I can get NBC back on track. Is there I way for me to request a 4pm news before WABC creates one?

If they want to standarize, they should take a look at CTV or Univision playbook. Nice graphics and logos for the standarization and not a job that can be done at powerpoint. Just talkin' about the logo.

If they want to standarize, they should take a look at CTV or Univision playbook. Nice graphics and logos for the standarization and not a job that can be done at powerpoint. Just talkin' about the logo.

Unfortunately they seem to be taking the ITV1 route. Which is absolutely not the route I would take with this. (Their local news graphics and package are awful)

The syndicated bumper promos have been in use since September of last year.

To varying degrees apparently, though - WCAU uses "NBC" branded promos for daytime syndicated programming, while Extra and Access Hollywood are still promoted as airing on "NBC 10" (though no NBC 10 logo appears anywhere on these promos). That might be a special case, though, since 10 still has a promo department and is keeping its name.

Here is another clue, let on by WMAQ's Allison Rosati via her facebook. The caption of the photo says "Shhh I'll let you in on something new headed to a TV near you ...in the picture a small clue. Stay tuned:)"

If you look at the bag she is holding, I believe it says "NBC CHICAGO" with the same graphic look of the NBC Chicago Non-Stop digital sub-channel.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=144942068890274&set=a.143175649066916.40956.131732280211253

Not quite sure on the status of this update for WMAQ. Aside from some promos and references to "NBC Chicago" I have not seen any other on air changes such as the set or graphics.

Not quite sure on the status of this update for WMAQ. Aside from some promos and references to "NBC Chicago" I have not seen any other on air changes such as the set or graphics.

I've only seen 1 of each. The graphic panel in front of the anchor desk changed about a month ago. And about a week or 2 ago, they changed the sports intro/stinger graphics along with the music cut. It no longer uses a cut from "The Tower" and now just sounds like a cut of some cheap library music.

• 3 weeks later...

A little off-topic, but Warner Saunders is in one of WMAQ's Black History Month commercials today. He looks pretty good, and it's hard to believe he's been retired for two years already!

How everything has changed...

100th post!!! :puke:

NBC 5 Had lots of reporters at the auto show on a 6pm hour long auto show broadcast, and all of them had mics with only a 3d peacock on the side, on all sides of the flags. No 5 on them.

They use those 5-less microphones every year for the Auto Show. I don't know why they need different mics just for this event, but that's what they do.

They use those 5-less microphones every year for the Auto Show. I don't know why they need different mics just for this event, but that's what they do.

It's probably done because the auto show stuff isn't produced by the news department.

NBC 5 Had lots of reporters at the auto show on a 6pm hour long auto show broadcast, and all of them had mics with only a 3d peacock on the side, on all sides of the flags. No 5 on them.

They do liveshots for NBC Newschannel. I remember seeing a signup page on the Newchannel website for one of the car shows.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys better take a look at the NBC Chicago website http://nbcchicago.com and they're facebook page!! :lol: Completely Different...

But.....in the about us section, it is still listed as NBC 5.

I like the new sites, seems like they are going to focus a little more on news than the previous one. Also, on a side note, it seems like the box logos are different colors for every station which is nice.

Archived