Don Schwenneker leaving Ch. 2?

former newsboy

I think meteorologist turned news anchor turned traffic reporter Don Schwenneker is headed to Raleigh-Durham. More specifically, WTVD ABC11.

I know I gave him a hard time when he first came to town here in Chicago, but I've warmed-up to him since then. He really rolled with the punches at Channel 2 and I like that. And now he's leaving. And we're stuck with Megan Glaros. Oy vey

I think meteorologist turned news anchor turned traffic reporter Don Schwenneker is headed to Raleigh-Durham. More specifically, WTVD ABC11.

I know I gave him a hard time when he first came to town here in Chicago, but I've warmed-up to him since then. He really rolled with the punches at Channel 2 and I like that. And now he's leaving. And we're stuck with Megan Glaros. Oy vey

Like I said before.. He wasn't going to just walk out like many do in the business. He'll keep what he's got until he finds something new. He's got his priorities and doesn't have his head up his ass like many out there.

Knowing both Don and Megan, they are both great people.. I can't say anything bad about either of them. I know some people are bashing Megan mainly due to her style not fitting the "tradional Chicago style" weatherperson; however, I think she's really catching on with the younger viewers. People like her and her personality really does fit the younger Chicago area female (who the stations are trying to get as viewers these days).

I was gonna post something about a week and a half ago when Larry Stogner posted on Mike Caplans wall:

"What can you tell me about Don Schwenneker? He's headed our way." (It showed up in my feed. lol)

But, I forgot.

• 1 month later...

Today, Friday 1/21, is Don Schwenneker's last day at CBS 2. He's been in NC the past couple days and he flew back to Chicago to do one more show at CBS 2. He starts at ABC 11 Raleigh on Monday.

As for who's going to take his place at CBS 2, it appears it'll be split job by Megan Glaros and Kris Haubermehl in Chopper 2 who seems like he may be back for good on the morning show now. Megan is now on triple morning duty doing weather, traffic, and entertainment.

"Chopper 2" seems to now be "Chopper 2 HD" thanks to Megan Glaros and Steve Bartelstein. They've been used to hearing/using the name "Chopper 2 HD" from WCBS and they started calling it that here and now they got Susan Carlson and a few others at the station calling the chopper, "Chopper 2 HD". May as well just keep the HD in the name..

Update: His farewell: http://video.chicago.cbslocal.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=5490368&at1=News&h1=We'llMissYou,Don!&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Today, Friday 1/21, is Don Schwenneker's last day at CBS 2. He's been in NC the past couple days and he flew back to Chicago to do one more show at CBS 2. He starts at ABC 11 Raleigh on Monday.

As for who's going to take his place at CBS 2, it appears it'll be split job by Megan Glaros and Kris Haubermehl in Chopper 2 who seems like he may be back for good on the morning show now. Megan is now on triple morning duty doing weather, traffic, and entertainment.

I had a feeling it was gonna be, so i watched - glad i got to see his send-off. I'm also glad Roseanne Tellez was there, since she & Don used to anchor that show together. Speaking of Roseanne, she looked mighty good with Steve Bartelstein - still not sure the bosses made the right choice going wtih Susan instead.

As for Don's replacement, i'm all for Kris Habermehl coming back on the morning show, but why not split the duties with Susan Carlson instead of Megan Glaros? That way all 3 players are on double duty - Steve anchoring & sports, Susan anchoring & traffic, and Megan doing weather & entertainment. Makes more sense to me - Susan's a pro at traffic, Megan doesn't like doing traffic, and then the duties are evenly divided up.

OR i'm also thinking Pamela Jones would be a good choice to replace Don. She made a lasting impression on me when she filled-in as weekend morning anchor during Ahern's reign. She was really fantastic. Great energy & personality - just perfect for mornings. She really took me by surprise.

OR the show might be lacking male representation now so perhaps a guy would be best. Clay Champlin comes to mind. I liked when he used to do it (traffic) during the Mary Ann & Jay years. Maybe they could get him back? Just a thought.

Archived