WSMV title question

bmasters1

WSMV (nee WSM-TV) was not the only station to use the phrase "Scene" in a newscast title.

KGO-TV and WAGA-TV used "news scene", and WCCO in the late 60's called their 10 PM newscast "The Scene Tonight"

I have a hunch that a consultant sold the idea to those stations that to use the "Scene" phrase would draw the flowerchild types of the late 60's by showing that their news was "with it".

In the case of Nashville's Channel 4, it was wildy successful (the late 60's to the early 90's). And indeed it was very much a very sober straight newscast, so much so that they won Peabody and Murrow awards.

Interesting. I always thought that, based on some old clips that I've seen over and over again, it had that kind of feel: this conclusion I drew from listening to the way that Demetria Kalodimos, et al. phrased some of their lead-ins. What I mean is that in a lot of these clips, she sounded to me like she was leading into a "60 Minutes"-esque type of story, i.e. a long-form investigative-type piece.

Interesting. I always thought that, based on some old clips that I've seen over and over again, it had that kind of feel: this conclusion I drew from listening to the way that Demetria Kalodimos, et al. phrased some of their lead-ins. What I mean is that in a lot of these clips, she sounded to me like she was leading into a "60 Minutes"-esque type of story, i.e. a long-form investigative-type piece.

The did a lot of long-form (5 or 6 minutes or more) pieces in their 6pm newshour (the Scene at Six) hence all the awards.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived