New WGN V/O

15connects

They've been phasing in a new voiceover since September.. They've actually been using the new voiceover for promos and such for a while now. I'm not sure who the new voiceover is. However, WGN (along with WLS) were consulted that a new "fresher" and "younger sounding" voiceover would lead to some ratings growth which both stations are lacking at the moment.

It's been proven in some studies that a new voiceover does lead to very minimal ratings growth but nothing that would make a any difference. Probably just enough to cover the cost of the "consultant" hired.

Be on the watch out for a new graphics package too for their newscasts..

• 2 weeks later...
I heard this guy yesterday. He sounds horrible. His voice seriously lacks any type of authority. It's as if they grabbed some guy off the street and said read this.

That's EXACTLY what these "consultants" are telling stations/networks to go for these days.. A voice that sounds like any young joe off the street reading in a normal voice. No authority, no sticking/standing out, etc..

There are a couple good younger voices out there that are defiintely worth their dollars. Listen to these two spots written by the same promo producer with your eyes closed and tell me which station you'd watch. There comes a point when a "mature" voice stops lending credibility and starts sounding cartoonish and borderline sleazy.

John Young:

Scott Matthews:

Just listen to the way he says "Micah Materre" I have the feeling he hasn't even watched WGN before........:x

Most voiceovers have never watched most of the stations they do work for or even most their own work for that matter. Most do their work from a studio/booth in their own homes.

The station just shoots an email over the a voiceover of what to say and the timeframe it should be said in.. Sometimes, if the stations is nice/smart enough, the voiceover is lucky to get "special instructions" on how to read it. It's up to the station to let the voiceover know/correct any mis-pronunciations or special pronunciations. Most voiceovers don't get video from the station of what they are announcing..

Many unevenness in voiceover work nowadays are caused by the station's own editing. Sometimes, what the voiceover read doesn't fit exactly what the station is putting it into so the station may just speed it up slightly, shorten some spacing between words, etc. I've seen cases where the voiceover did an excellent job reading an open or promo but the station just butchered it all up horribly.

Am I the only one who thinks the graphics are worse than the voiceover?

They aren't that bad.. However, like I mentioned previously, I heard there's a new graphics package (with a completely new color scheme) in the works. When it will come to be, I don't know.. However, I can't trust so much what I heard. Those "set changes" I heard about a while back turned out to be just new lighting.

• 3 months later...

An old thread, I know...but WGN played one of the short rejoins for the Midday News with Tracey's voice. I hate to say it, but it really caught me off guard and I thought to myself "Who the heck is this?"

I guess I've gotten used to the new VO, but I still don't like it! :(

Archived