Eyewitness News goes HD?

IceManNYR

Sorry I haven't been around for a while - I was rather frustrated by the downtime of this site, so I hadn't visited for a while.

Anyway, let me clarify something -

Right now there is an ongoing installation of HD components here at WABC.

Testing is taking place, and commenced on Monday.

There will not be full implementation until sometime in the new year.

The new set still doesn't come until the fall, but "Eyewitness News HD" may premier for February sweeps.

New graphics and music are on their way. Be patient and things will come together.

Sounds great, any ideas on what will come first? Will the Music and Graphics come before the set? Or Vice Versa? And KKyubi, although the graphics do look pretty nice, they just don't fit with WABC, Hothaus would be amazing for ABC 7, similar to WLS in Chicago.

-Vlad

As I have heard - and maybe nynewsguy can back me up on this - the music and gfx are ready, and will premiere early next year. It will most likely be before any set change.

It was about time that theyFINALLY decided to changed their graphics, I guess there is no insight on which type of graphics that may be used and whether or not its a newly designed Eyewitness News Package from Frank Gari. Lets hope its Hothaus!, lol, and lets also certainly hope that the new music sounds better than KABC. ;)

-Vlad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just me, but I find the current L3's just off-putting. A graphics change would be nice for WABC.

And as for Giant Octopus doing the graphics, you know Hothaus didn't do such a terrible job for WLS/Chicago or RTV6 Indianapolis.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the current L3's just off-putting. A graphics change would be nice for WABC.

And as for Giant Octopus doing the graphics, you know Hothaus didn't do such a terrible job for WLS/Chicago or RTV6 Indianapolis.

Yeah I also believe Hothaus would be nice for WABC. It'll hopefully make WABC the new "Flagship" and best overall O&O, if they have High Definition graphics and etc. They may eventually surpass all the other O&Os. But thats only IF they change Studio 7 into a super-studio.

-Vlad

Is it me, or has the inset graphic rim subtly animate now, and look flatter?

Yes they changed the blue on the right to an animated background and now extend the graphics to the far right. The left edge is also less harsh and fades out.

Here is the old and new layout:

th_23838_snapshot_20061203_0006_122_590lo.jpg th_52548_snapshot_20061207_0007_122_496lo.jpg

I just saw a 5 second promo ID --- it went "Eyewitness News, now in High Definition"

--------------

BTW, how far in advance did any of you know about WNBC going HD?

Did NBC4HD catch WABC by suprise causing them to rush these changes now instead of waiting till the studio7 set is built and unvailing everything together?

Yeah they don't seem to be emphasizing the HD on the talent openings, I guess the whole newscast is still not in HD. Most of the live shots are still using the regular SD cameras.

-Vlad

It proves that you can still have sucky graphics and be in HD at the same time.

Good point. I don't understand how we can have better graphics in Green Bay (DMA 69), than the most-watched television station in the country.

Personally, I'd like to see WABC have Renderon create a graphics package for them.

The reason the opens aren't in HD is because there are new ones which are already done.

They'll be debuted at the end of January for February sweeps.

The new HD graphics/opens are awesome! You'll all like them a lot!

The reason the opens aren't in HD is because there are new ones which are already done.

Who is the designer of the graphics?

-Vlad

Now, I wonder who made them...come on be VDO, Hothaus, or Giant Octopus!

Could you at least give us some hints so we can try and guess at it in Graphics Department?

Now, I wonder who made them...come on be VDO, Hothaus, or Giant Octopus!

Could you at least give us some hints so we can try and guess at it in Graphics Department?

I really can't say, because I honestly don't have the answer. If they were done in house though - they're 100x better then anything I've ever seen done here. I'm almost positive they were done outside though, because there was a problem running them through the system the other day, which is why they didn't debut with the HD. There are fixes going on now.

/\ Hmm...I've got an idea, tell us if the graphics use any of the following:

• Fast Motion Photography
  • Animated Bugs
  • 3D rendered stuff
  • The swirls and ABC logo style from the 2006-2007 promos
  • Nice Serif fonts
  • Alot of colors

I may be able to determine who made them

Alright, well - lemme first tell you that I took a better look at the opens earlier today. There's a lot of stuff going on in them - and I wasn't able to find the name of a gfx company.

They're quite colorful. They are ABC2007 compliant (the look of the network)

I don't know if the bug was animated, but there was a lot of animation on the screen.

From what I've heard, they're in line with what KGO-TV in San Francisco is going with. I don't know if they've debuted their new package yet though - so it might not be any help.

It is EWN New Generation (the music)

Alright, well - lemme first tell you that I took a better look at the opens earlier today. There's a lot of stuff going on in them - and I wasn't able to find the name of a gfx company.

I don't know if the bug was animated, but there was a lot of animation on the screen.

From what I've heard, they're in line with what KGO-TV in San Francisco is going with. I don't know if they've debuted their new package yet though - so it might not be any help.

nynewsguy --

Here is what KGO will debut soon:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oMtJ6wZPxbw

Do the new WABC graphics resemble that look?

nynewsguy --

Here is what KGO will debut soon:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oMtJ6wZPxbw

Do the new WABC graphics resemble that look?

If that is the look for it, then it looks quite impressive, WLS still has a bit better graphics, but if these graphics are chosen for WABC, they are really better looking than what they have now. I'm not digging the new font though, hopefully they'll use Zurich again as their font. And also hopefully it won't be italicized as it is right now.

As for the music, I believe nynewsguy said earlier that it is a newly designed package exclusively for WABC, similar to how they did it back in 1999 with the current music they are using. I hope the new theme sounds similar to the one they use now.

My guess is that the New Generation music and new graphics may debut in the final week of January 2007 similar to how they did their new set back in January 2005.

-Vlad

For those of you on the last page asking about Stephen Clark: He is now the lead anchor at WXYZ in Detroit. He was in D.C. to report about the "big three" auto companie's CEOs from Detroit meeting with the president. Also while on the subject of WXYZ, they do have great HD graphics, I think they would be a perfect fit for WABC, they are sleek and simple. However WXYZ's color scheme is mostly blue white and yellow, I'm sure they would still look really awesome with WABC's color scheme of mostly blue with red and white.

For those of you on the last page asking about Stephen Clark: He is now the lead anchor at WXYZ in Detroit. He was in D.C. to report about the "big three" auto companie's CEOs from Detroit meeting with the president. Also while on the subject of WXYZ, they do have great HD graphics, I think they would be a perfect fit for WABC, they are sleek and simple. However WXYZ's color scheme is mostly blue white and yellow, I'm sure they would still look really awesome with WABC's color scheme of mostly blue with red and white.

The colors are changing. We're moving away from the American Flag theme... everything is going to be much softer this time around.

I am assuming there are going to be new L3's, OTS and bumper gfx... and new bumper music. Is there anything on TV right now, such as new promos, that sort of hint to how it will look?

--------------

BTW- NBC4 needs to change their promos from: "The only New York station bring the news in High-Definition" to "The first New York station to bring the news in High Definition"

Those seem to be a bit too tabloidish, those graphics are more of an "Action News" style graphics. Which WXYZ is known as. And being that WABC isn't using that format, I don't think it suits them. WABC is more of a hard news and serious station overall especially during the 6 and 11PM broadcasts you hardly ever laugh when watching those shows, and they need something that goes with their presentation.

-Vlad

it's really sad that WCBS dumped him for Ernie, and then Ernie for Jim. Now Dana gets along great with both Jim and Stephen (and Ernie for that matter), but Dana and Stephen had to be one of the best teams ever. If Dana and Stephen were still a team (as in, he never got kicked out and had been anchoring along side her for almost a decade now), they would definitely be neck and neck with WNBC at 11.

Those seem to be a bit too tabloidish, those graphics are more of an "Action News" style graphics. Which WXYZ is known as. And being that WABC isn't using that format, I don't think it suits them. WABC is more of a hard news and serious station overall especially during the 6 and 11PM broadcasts you hardly ever laugh when watching those shows, and they need something that goes with their presentation.

-Vlad

Ironically, both stations use the same music packages! :)

Yes, we're Action News...yet we use Eyewitness News as our intro!

Archived