Eyewitness News goes HD?

IceManNYR

I thought something was odd this am during the local weather segment during GMA.

Even with the video being 4:3 it looked cleaner and sharper. My thought was WABC had installed HD cams. I turned on the late edition of the 11pm news cast and the studio shots are 16:9.

th_23809_snapshot_20061203__122_452lo.jpgth_23814_snapshot_20061203_0000_122_458lo.jpgth_23818_snapshot_20061203_0002_122_476lo.jpg

th_23823_snapshot_20061203_0003_122_372lo.jpgth_23828_snapshot_20061203_0005_122_498lo.jpgth_23833_snapshot_20061203_0001_122_463lo.jpg

th_23838_snapshot_20061203_0006_122_590lo.jpgth_24053_snapshot_20061203_0004_122_581lo.jpgth_24058_snapshot_20061203_0007_122_364lo.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, you guys beat me to it.

It has to be a test b/c field shots are still in regular format. The gfx were just extended to cover the extra part of the screen.

They will probably keep it like this until they have that major overhall in Fall 2007.

New Slogan: Eyewitness News, now in HD... with gfx for 4:3!

Damn, you guys beat me to it.

It has to be a test b/c field shots are still in regular format. The gfx were just extended to cover the extra part of the screen.

They will probably keep it like this until they have that major overhall in Fall 2007.

New Slogan: Eyewitness News, now in HD... with gfx for 4:3!

Or Eyewitness News HD - Same Great News, Same Great Tasteless Graphics

I guess that explains why I thought the live bug looked funny last night (I was watching in 4:3). If you look closely, I found it weird that Joe really isnt 'dressed-up.' He's got a jacket and tie but he's wearing jeans.

It's good to dress down if the newscast was going to be late. Why wear a full suit if the newscast won't be at 11. Some anchors do that in the morning. I remember John Muller of the CW11 Morning News does that.

It great that Eyewitness News is in HD. The set looks great in HD but, the graphics are horrible. They shound have change the graphics when they went HD or HD testing. Maybe WABC will make some graphics changes soon.

Well it looks like they are clearly testing something, perhaps this could be a sign of a change to come in January 2007 into the February 2007 sweeps period, And they may likely become the next station to become High Definition, and it looks like something that can happen next month as that is usually the time when ABC 7 usually unveils the changes to viewers set and graphics wise. The current graphics do look terrible though and really do not fit well with the 16:9 format. The only graphic that looks great with 16:9 is the actual logo which seems to be the clearest. The set itself, also doesn't seem to be suitable for HD broadcasting especially with the Jenna Wolfe screencap from the AM broadcast on Saturday, where the brown paneling to the left is easilly seen and matches poorly, and although it is in 16:9 aspect ratio, the quality of the picture does not quite seem to be in High Definition, it seems to be Standard Definition and Widescreened, but this does prove that WABC has the intentions of installing HD Cameras in Studio 7 for the Eyewitness News set and this is definitely a sign of things to come in the future. ;)

BTW, Were any of today's studio shots in 16:9 ratio? Eyewitness News This Morning in Particular?

-Vlad

Well, seeing the wood paneling isn't that much of a big deal. It has the WABC logo on it, so I'm sure you're probably going to be seeing it a lot more if you're watching on a widescreen TV. However, I'd like to see the side OTS shots of the anchors. Right now, it looks as if the two anchors are sitting too close together, so you'll be able to see the other anchor in say, a side shot of Liz Cho. I read somewhere that the distance between the two anchors usually has to be increased by around eight inches to keep them out of each other's shots.

Well it looks like they are clearly testing something, perhaps this could be a sign of a change to come in January 2007 into the February 2007 sweeps period, And they may likely become the next station to become High Definition, and it looks like something that can happen next month as that is usually the time when ABC 7 usually unveils the changes to viewers set and graphics wise. The current graphics do look terrible though and really do not fit well with the 16:9 format. The only graphic that looks great with 16:9 is the actual logo which seems to be the clearest. The set itself, also doesn't seem to be suitable for HD broadcasting especially with the Jenna Wolfe screencap from the AM broadcast on Saturday, where the brown paneling to the left is easilly seen and matches poorly, and although it is in 16:9 aspect ratio, the quality of the picture does not quite seem to be in High Definition, it seems to be Standard Definition and Widescreened, but this does prove that WABC has the intentions of installing HD Cameras in Studio 7 for the Eyewitness News set and this is definitely a sign of things to come in the future. ;)

BTW, Were any of today's studio shots in 16:9 ratio? Eyewitness News This Morning in Particular?

-Vlad

The studio shots are in High Def. Steve, Lori and Bill talked and joked about this briefly on Monday's morning news.

I don't know it still seems to be a bit less sharp than NewsChannel 4. Bill Ritter was a bit Blurry and the text and graphics are all a bit blurry than NewsChannel 4. Iceman, these are great pictures, I was wondering if you had any set captures of NewsChannel 4 HD maybe you can post these up as well and we can perhaps compare the two.

-Vlad

One other comment on WABC, some of the cams seem to have a lot of video grain noise in the background, I wonder if the camera iris is just to low?

One thing WNBC has been doing is a zoom and crop on 4:3 to make it fit the 16:9

frame. It does not look good on the HD feed as the video is very soft.

WNBC just uses black pillarbars when video is not 16:9.

WNBC also does the same frame shift when a single news anchor and graphic are on screen like WABC but they use an animated background.

th_92711_snapshot_20061204_0052_122_575lo.jpgth_92716_snapshot_20061204_0053_122_523lo.jpgth_92724_snapshot_20061204_0047_122_571lo.jpgth_92729_snapshot_20061204_0051_122_327lo.jpg

th_92734_snapshot_20061204_0054_122_425lo.jpgth_92740_snapshot_20061204_0045_122_398lo.jpgth_92745_snapshot_20061204_0046_122_538lo.jpgth_93011_Today.09.18.06_05_122_600lo.jpgth_93017_TodayNY.11.26.06_02_122_566lo.jpg

NewsChannel 4's shots are much more clearer and better in quality, I'm still not convinced that WABC's shots are actually in HD, they seem to be more of a Widescreen Format rather than HD. Clearly the quality of the pictures from WABC are not as great as those seen on WNBC. You can actually see "strands of hair" on many of the anchors on the WNBC shots, you cannot notice this with the WABC set shots.

-Vlad

Sorry I haven't been around for a while - I was rather frustrated by the downtime of this site, so I hadn't visited for a while.

Anyway, let me clarify something -

Right now there is an ongoing installation of HD components here at WABC.

Testing is taking place, and commenced on Monday.

There will not be full implementation until sometime in the new year.

The new set still doesn't come until the fall, but "Eyewitness News HD" may premier for February sweeps.

New graphics and music are on their way. Be patient and things will come together.

Sorry I haven't been around for a while - I was rather frustrated by the downtime of this site, so I hadn't visited for a while.

The new set still doesn't come until the fall, but "Eyewitness News HD" may premier for February sweeps.

New graphics and music are on their way. Be patient and things will come together.

and I apologize for before, nynewsguy - I knew you were at WABC, but I have another source there and there were two conflicting stories. Now, though, they match up with what you're saying.

Everything's ready, but it will take a few months to get it into full HD mode.

Let me guess Eyewitness News New Generation and maybe some Hothaus or Giant Octopus graphics? I think Giant Octopus would be an excellent choice for WABC, WXYZ has a pretty nice GO package, here's a (poor) screenshot (from the online streaming video), something simliar for WABC would be awesome!

Sounds great, any ideas on what will come first? Will the Music and Graphics come before the set? Or Vice Versa? And KKyubi, although the graphics do look pretty nice, they just don't fit with WABC, Hothaus would be amazing for ABC 7, similar to WLS in Chicago.

-Vlad

I miss Stephen Clark...

...but was he really reporting on the fact that the "big 3" anchors were in DC or am I misinterpreting that graphic?

I miss him too. Him and Dana really had something you don't see on TV often.

Is he a reporter now?

Sounds great, any ideas on what will come first? Will the Music and Graphics come before the set? Or Vice Versa? And KKyubi, although the graphics do look pretty nice, they just don't fit with WABC, Hothaus would be amazing for ABC 7, similar to WLS in Chicago.

-Vlad

As I have heard - and maybe nynewsguy can back me up on this - the music and gfx are ready, and will premiere early next year. It will most likely be before any set change.

Archived