New 6ABC look, logo on the way?

Jess

6 got some new live trucks... and apparently with the new live trucks, a newly revised 6ABC logo:

Image0-3.jpg

image courtesy WCAUTVNBC10

Looks like they've taken a page from the circle-7s and encased the iconic 6 in a blue circle. They've also changed the ABC logo to the "official" glossy network version and made it larger. It's different from the alternate logo they've been using which gave the 6 logo the same glossy black treatment as the ABC ball.

It's not the first place I've seen this logo. The new sign outside of the studios has a large LCD sign that rotates through various show logos and promo images - one of them including this modified logo.

All in all.. it might be worth it to start watching 6 on Saturday nights. :D

image0-3.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NewsHound

I have a feeling the new logo will last about as long as the WPVI 1996 update of "Move Closer to Your World". Nobody likes change on WPVI, I think it might have even taken awhile for people to get used to the Giant Octopus graphics, High Definition, and all of their studio modifications.

Maybe they are starting to break out of their "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" shell, but it might come at a price.

When I saw the thread title, I was expecting something more drastic. This is a welcome change... an evolutionary thing; the same as adding the ABC circle years ago. I kinda liked it red though.

An update to the opening title would be nice. The current one is from... 2004, right?

I like the new logo (It's more like love, as it is just a new treatment on the old 6) but as JrNewsIntern noted before, WPVI Don't "DO" change well. I got a feeling that this will go over like a lead balloon. I'm hoping I'm wrong on this. Anywhere else, excellent logo.

The new logo will look good. It's an upgrade treatment to their current logo. People won't go crying about it or go storming the station. The station will still be referred to as "6 ABC", NOT "ABC 6". This is a completely different scenario than when they changed their music. The short-lived music sounded completely different than the theme everyone is accustomed to. People will see the new logo and just think, "that looks cool". History isn't being taken away from the station. This is just an evolutionary change as has happened with WPVI's logos over the years.. Some where shiny, some where flat, some were 3D. People aren't going to jump off a bridge over it.

You gotta remember too that the WPVI music uproar happened around 1996/97.. That was a completely different time in TV viewership habits/psychology than it is today. If they were to change the theme today, the station most likely wouldn't get as many complaints as it did back then.. However, when they did change back then, they took the wrong approach. Instead of "modernizing" the familiar theme, they took the theme back even further in time to a not so great sounding "symphony orchestra" theme. If they would have given the theme a modern update with some new elements but keeping with the original style, then people wouldn't have been so upset.

When I saw the thread title, I was expecting something more drastic. This is a welcome change... an evolutionary thing; the same as adding the ABC circle years ago. I kinda liked it red though.

An update to the opening title would be nice. The current one is from... 2004, right?

Yeah that dates back to '04. Most of the other stuff has been refreshed in one way or another in either '06 or just last year.

You gotta remember too that the WPVI music uproar happened around 1996/97.. That was a completely different time in TV viewership habits/psychology than it is today. If they were to change the theme today, the station most likely wouldn't get as many complaints as it did back then.. However, when they did change back then, they took the wrong approach. Instead of "modernizing" the familiar theme, they took the theme back even further in time to a not so great sounding "symphony orchestra" theme. If they would have given the theme a modern update with some new elements but keeping with the original style, then people wouldn't have been so upset.

The theme change happened around the time when many stations began using orchestral news themes, some to great success and other not so much. NBC's The Mission and CBS's Evening News themes at the time were monumental mainstays being introduced well after the 60's, and at the time 615 introduced many orchestral themes including "The Tower," and "Decade 90."

I completely agree. Nothing annoys me more, with regards to local news, than the "over-hyping" of high-definition. It's alright to mention it occasionally, but I believe that too many stations are reworking their logos, opens, and branding to promote the hell out of the fact that they broadcast in high definition.

Amen, Geoff Bruno. Especially in a market when five out of five major news operations are HD..."3HD Weather", "CBS 5 News in HD", "Fox 10 News in HD", "The Leader in HD", and "Desert Doppler 15 HD Forecast Center". I don't care! It's just lame.

• 3 weeks later...

So I saw this when browsing Deadline Hollywood today.

newactionnewslogo.jpg

Yes, this is the actual internet ad for Action News. Before today, it was the existing logo loop you'd see a billion times during a newscast. Not liking how the circle is overlapping the N.

So I saw this when browsing Deadline Hollywood today.

newactionnewslogo.jpg

Yes, this is the actual internet ad for Action News. Before today, it was the existing logo loop you'd see a billion times during a newscast. Not liking how the circle is overlapping the N.

I don't really think that's how it's meant to look.. The 6ABC logo looks shinier and crisper than the rest of the graphics as if someone pasted a GIF image over a JPEG. Maybe they just pasted the new logo over an existing graphic on file and had to oversize it like that to fully cover the old logo. I think when the logo actually makes its way on-air, it will be more proportionate.

Wait--is the ABC logo in the station bug still going to get the color change? From what I saw in the photo, it's still red (and I think it's still red on the website).

The new circle-6 hasn't been used on-air yet, only on print and online materials. That said, it's getting out there slowly but surely - the latest example being a huge Rachael Ray billboard on both I-95 and I-76.

I think it's fair to say that they're working on this new image and something's going to come in the next few weeks. November sweeps is probably a lost cause though.

The new circle-6 hasn't been used on-air yet, only on print and online materials. That said, it's getting out there slowly but surely - the latest example being a huge Rachael Ray billboard on both I-95 and I-76.

I think it's fair to say that they're working on this new image and something's going to come in the next few weeks. November sweeps is probably a lost cause though.

First of the year perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...
New mic flags today.

thumb_7f414364.png

I'm gonna miss the red. The times, they are a-changin'.

That must have been a quick decision; they were using the 6ABC HD flags as late as today's noon newscast - a design which I am glad to see go.

I'm surprised they went with this design, though - particularly the 2D design, as ABC corporate policy is apparently to use the glossy version of the network logo where possible - and WABC is using mic flags with that glossy rendition. Plus, the 2D version shows just how much of the 6 is now being obscured - it's not as evident in the 3D I think.

Exclusive! Exclusive! Action Cam! What?

Ahhh, yes, those.

Exclusive is something a lot of the local stations like to throw onto stories, especially in a market that is as competitive as this. (Yes, 6 usually wins everything, but its lead at 11 is much narrower than it used to be.) 3 and 6 tend to be the worst offenders.

As far as "Action Cam"... well, it and its cousin "Via Satellite" have been used on 6's lower thirds since approximately the Dawn of Man, and for some inexplicable reason they've kept it on the lowers despite the terms being completely obsolete. Occasionally they'll even throw out a verbal reference, which Cecily Tynan did tonight. Perhaps it's just their affinity for cute names (StormTracker 6, Sky 6, Action News Big Board...)

I'm surprised they went with this design, though - particularly the 2D design, as ABC corporate policy is apparently to use the glossy version of the network logo where possible - and WABC is using mic flags with that glossy rendition.

It's not strictly enforced.. WLS still uses the very old blue/black bottom lit ABC logo that dates from the '90s. The only places WLS uses the solid black ABC logo are the logo on the anchor desk and the logo on the wall in the newsroom. Everything else is the very old logo. They don't use the glossy black logo at all.

Archived