Scott Chapin retiring from regular VO work

Weeters

Scott Chapin, who's voice is heard on stations across the country, announced recently that he will be retiring from daily VO work at the end of this year, and that he will only be doing "image and commercial work" for clients afterwards.

An announcement posted on his website reads:

An Open Letter to friends and clients

October, 2010

Over the last 18 years, I have been fortunate to serve as the voice of some of America's greatest and most successful TV stations. WNBC-TV, New York, KTVU-TV Oakland, WFLD-TV Chicago, WBBM-TV Chicago, WSVN-TV Miami, WSB-TV Atlanta, KTTV-TV Los Angeles, KDFW-TV Dallas, WTXF-TV Philly, just to name a few that I currently work for, or have worked for in the past. It has been 18 years of a career beyond my wildest dreams. In 1992, when Susan and I decided that I should leave radio and go into TV on my own, It was both scary and exciting for us, but we felt it was time for a change. That time has come again.

At the end of this year, I will cease voicework on a daily basis, and spend some sabbatical time smelling the roses. Whether or not I will return to voicework full time remains to be seen, but for the forseeable future starting in 2011, I will continue only doing image and commercial work for select clients.

There is a long laundry list of things to do in 2011. Pursue music projects, archive a radio and TV career that goes back to the seventies, (a lot of it on old tape that is deteriorating), skiing while I still have the knees for it, a Final Cut Pro course, more time spent with parents who are still kicking, more time with children who now live far away, time spent giving back and mentoring, serving others through our church, and time for Susan and I to hit the road on some adventures. Total changes – that again, are both scary and exciting.

Please allow me to thank some of the special people that have made the last 18 years the great ride it was. Stacey Marks-Bronner, who gave me my first start in a top 5 market, and encouraged me every step of the way to make the move to TV voicework. Bob Leider and Ed Ansin of Sunbeam, who have been believers for the last 22 years. Leslie Lyndon of Fox Television Stations, Nick Trigony and Andy Fisher of Cox TV,

Larry Parker, Dan Matson, Kevin O'Brien, Randy Pyburn, Mike Carson,Jim Marketti, Steve Riley, Jim Joslyn, and of course my agent, Jonn Wasser of Atlas Talent. Atlas will continue to represent me in the future, wherever that takes us. Thanks to all of you, friends, family, producers, for your love and support. Most of all, I thank God. None of us ever thank Him enough.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like a goodbye letter, cause it's not. It's just a new page. A new direction. Scary. and Exciting. Hope to see you soon!

peace,

Scott Chapin

p.s.: look for the website to take on a new look in the coming months, focusing on my

hobby as an archivist at work.

Guest NewsHound

Wow. That is a huge blow to the news and voiceover industry. I don't think I could imagine WSVN, WSB or even KTVU without Scott Chapin's voice. The top 3 voices in America were Charlie Van Dyke, the late Chris Claussen, and Scott. He will be missed and its hard to find a voice that could replace his. However, on that note I must say I am happy he can finally take some time off for family and other things, and I wish him all the best.

It's been known for a while, even before the letter, that he's been wanting to retire from regular voiceover work. He's given many stations "hints" about it and cutting down on what he does.. I say he should do whatever makes him happy. He's earned it.

WFLD is his longest ongoing station which he still does regular daily voiceover work for.. They've been using him since 1992 or 93. I remember his voice was used on WBBM one day and then all of a sudden on WFLD the very next day. He got the nickname "The FOX announcer guy" for a while since there was a point when most FOX O&O stations used him. I wonder who WFLD will go with for his replacement..

It's been known for a while, even before the letter, that he's been wanting to retire from regular voiceover work. He's given many stations "hints" about it and cutting down on what he does.. I say he should do whatever makes him happy. He's earned it.

WFLD is his longest ongoing station which he still does regular daily voiceover work for.. They've been using him since 1992 or 93. I remember his voice was used on WBBM one day and then all of a sudden on WFLD the very next day. He got the nickname "The FOX announcer guy" for a while since there was a point when most FOX O&O stations used him. I wonder who WFLD will go with for his replacement..

Likely Chris Corley or Greg Van Dyke,which a lot of Fox stations seem to use now. There isn't a standard "Fox O&O Guy" anymore like there used to be... 29 swtiched from Chapin to Van Dyke a few years back though they recently used Chapin for some weather stuff.

And I agree, he's more than earned this retirement.

Guest MTinFL

WFLD is his longest ongoing station which he still does regular daily voiceover work for..

Actually, that honor goes to WSVN. 1988 was when they dipped their toes in the "bleeding news" pool, and Chapin was that trademark voice ever since.

Likely Chris Corley or Greg Van Dyke,which a lot of Fox stations seem to use now. There isn't a standard "Fox O&O Guy" anymore like there used to be... 29 swtiched from Chapin to Van Dyke a few years back though they recently used Chapin for some weather stuff.

And I agree, he's more than earned this retirement.

They already use Chris Corley for promos on their sister station WPWR My50 Chicago so I don't see them using him for WFLD. I could see them switching to Greg. He's got a voice that would fit the station. WFLD may very well be one of Chapin's "select clients" that he'll continue to do image work for while just fully switching the daily work to anchors..

However, I don't know if it's exactly a good time to tell any WFLD anchors about doing "more work".. They're currently fighting (with the help of their AFTRA union) the installation of those sewing machine pedals on the bottom of the anchor desk for controlling the promter.. Of course, Chicago has to be the most stubborn market for anchors having to do "more work"..

WFLD could just go without one. Not sure they're willing to spend money on someone doing daily VO work when there's no real need.

Van Dyke's voice seems more suited for WMAQ. I can't imagine him saying something like 'Tonight at 9 on FOX Chicago News...' It wouldn't sound right. Somebody like Joe Cipriano could work if they do decide to hire someone.

Van Dyke's voice seems more suited for WMAQ. I can't imagine him saying something like 'Tonight at 9 on FOX Chicago News...' It wouldn't sound right. Somebody like Joe Cipriano could work if they do decide to hire someone.

I think Hulkie meant Greg O'Neill, not Greg Van Dyke that many FOX stations use.. I would have liked to have heard Charlie Van Dyke on WBBM again but I think they're going to stick with Ratner forever..

Doubt they'd go with Cipriano.. I've heard he's on the pricier side and for local stations, he's a contract deal, not per use. He'd have to be paid like "talent" for a couple years, at least. Charlie Van Dyke has been heading towards the retirement route too and I don't even think he's accepting any new stations now..

Greg's voice on WTXF:

(Hulkie's video) I could hear that voice with WFLD..

WFLD could just go without one. Not sure they're willing to spend money on someone doing daily VO work when there's no real need.

Who's the guy that does the voicework for KMSP and WHBQ? Think they'll use that guy for more stations?

I agree that Greg's voice would be good. However, unless they get away from cold opens/ 'first on FOX' intros, etc...there really isn't much left for a VO announcer to do on a daily basis. That's why I suggested that they may go without. Why waste a person's talent/time if you don't plan on using them fully?

I never like their decision several years back to move away from traditional newscast opens.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Sorry to bump this thread, but here's a word from the man himself:

[ATTACH=full]2437[/ATTACH]

This is probably the happiest announcement that I've ever heard of. I've always grew up watching WSVN and listening to Chapin's voice. To me, its always been WSVN and Chapin and I'm glad that he's coming back to the station that I grew up watching.

The only bad part is that he's not doing the news opens or any VOs with the newscasts. That's a darn shame. But I'm glad he's coming back because I don't like Paul Turner's voice at all. His voice was much better in the '90s/early 2000s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
The Sun-Sentinel did a piece on the return of Chapin on 'SVN yesterday.

I was shocked to hear a different voice when WSVN replaced him with Paul Turner. So glad that Chapin is back at WSVN, where he belongs. If Scott decides to retire again, he should go semi but still do VO work for WSVN. That's all I gotta say.

Archived