Why is Fox Chicago tanking?

essentials

10 years ago, this may have been an excuse. This doesn't apply nowadays.

It wasn't even an excuse anymore 10+ years ago.. Back before digital and when people watching TV "over the air" via antenna still counted towards something, WFLD has almost always had the strongest over the air signal in the Chicago market. WFLD actually had one of the highest ratings when it came to over the air antenna TV viewers right next to WLS.

It's been proven that when it came to over the air signals, people would choose signal/picture quality over channel number or TV show preference. People psychologically can't stand fuzzy scrambled snowy pictures and static sound. There could be the worst storms happening or you could live out where you can't pick up any other channel; however, you could always pick up channel 32 nice and clear.

Most people now get their TV either via cable or satellite. Channel number isn't an issue.. Plus, FOX Chicago back in the early '90s did their part to get people away from associating the station from "FOX 32" to "FOX Chicago" since cable was growing fast at the time and no cable system put WFLD on cable channel 32. The station didn't need to remind over the air viewers that they are on channel 32 since they were already one of the highest rated among over the air antenna viewers.

Let's just call that more solid proof they need to hire a hot weather bunny to replace what's his face :lol:

The station already has had enough with the creepy old guys "stalking" and sending creepy messages to female talent (especially morning talent) at the station and people sending messages to management asking for "hott" female talent. WFLD has had this problem for years..

The entire site is now down. You get re-directed to the myfoxchicago Facebook page.

myfoxphilly.com is also down and redirecting you to their facebook page.. I wonder what's going on. All the other FOX O&O sites I checked (NY, LA, orlando) were still up.

Update: From FOX 29 Philly's Facebook page: "Due to technical problems at Canvas Technology Inc., which hosts MyFoxPhilly.com, we have sent MyFoxPhilly users to our Facebook page for breaking news updates. We expect to have MyFoxPhilly back online in a few hours."

The station already has had enough with the creepy old guys "stalking" and sending creepy messages to female talent (especially morning talent) at the station and people sending messages to management asking for "hott" female talent. WFLD has had this problem for years..
Oh you mean that doesn't happen at other stations too? Looks like channel 5 got the message, while CH 32 remains the Cubs of the Chicago airwaves. The only difference is they haven't gone through 102 choke seasons yet :lol:

Oh you mean that doesn't happen at other stations too? Looks like channel 5 got the message' date=' while CH 32 remains the Cubs of the Chicago airwaves. The only difference is they haven't gone through 102 choke seasons yet :lol:[/quote']

Seriously.. WFLD has had some serious issues with some people in which law enforcement had to get involved in the past.

Are you here to legitimately talk about local TV news or are you just here to just compare WFLD to the Cubs and talk about how "hott" local news personalities are?

Seriously.. WFLD has had some serious issues with some people in which law enforcement had to get involved in the past.

Are you here to legitimately talk about local TV news or are you just here to just compare WFLD to the Cubs and talk about how "hott" local news personalities are?

Using the Cubs in my post is a great analogy to represent what losing is all about. Although I unlike the Cubs or Sux, happen to like CH 32. They do need to make some critical improvements none the less. I salute them for bringing in Amy Freeze and the Greek Goddess, I'm all for good journalism, it just doesn't cut the cake if some eye candy isn't doing it though :lol: such as this former CH 5 beauty, not to mention Browns fan too :D:D:D:D

robin-meade.jpg&t=1

Using the Cubs in my post is a great analogy to represent what losing is all about. Although I unlike the Cubs or Sux' date=' happen to like CH 32. They do need to make some critical improvements none the less. I salute them for bringing in Amy Freeze and the Greek Goddess, I'm all for good journalism, it just doesn't cut the cake if some eye candy isn't doing it though :lol: such as this former CH 5 beauty, not to mention Browns fan too :D:D:D:D[/quote']

Yeah, you're a little bit "not right" in the head, though I do think Amy Freeze is very affable and knowledgeable.

Yeah, you're a little bit "not right" in the head, though I do think Amy Freeze is very affable and knowledgeable.
I'm not surprised by your personal attack here just because you disagree with my post, you resort to this kind of behavior. So what's new? Cubs and Sox fans have always resorted to this type of childish behavior. :lol:

Dude. The fact that 'FLD is tanking is not because they don't have "eye candy" as talent. That has nothing to do with it. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what team he's a fan of either...in fact, I don't think that has anything to do with anything on this forum.

Dude. The fact that 'FLD is tanking is not because they don't have "eye candy" as talent. That has nothing to do with it. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what team he's a fan of either...in fact, I don't think that has anything to do with anything on this forum.
If eye candy had nothing to do with it, you wouldn't see stations such as CNN offering Robin Meade million dollar contracts. She wouldn't even make half that much if she had the looks of Rosanne Barr. A lot of the not so hot looking ones now escaped eye candy criteria since they were once hot when they started. Notables here in Chicago who still look good but did look better long ago, are Kathy Brock, Cheryl Burton, Tracy Butler, Linda Yu, etc.

In fact the once hot Nancy Pender has just received her walking papers http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2010/07/nancy-pender-exiting-wfld-after-13-years-as-weekend-coanchor-.html

Hopefully FOX will replace her with a real hottie.

Hate to burst your bubble Anti-Cub, but Nancy Pender isn't being replaced. Weekends are permanently solo. And there won't be any "hotties" (or anyone for that matter) hired in for a while..
It was already reported that Larry Yellen will be her temp replacement.:( Since you're no psychic I'll ignore your prediction of no hotties to replace Nancy.

Cable stations like FOX & CNN DO hire attractive women because of the theory that it boosts ratings...this is not the case with FOX32.

The fact that the only reason you think WFLD is tanking is because of their lack of "eye-candy" concerns me. Obviously there are many factors that are plainly evident, and the fact that you think it's their lack of babes just makes it seem to the rest of us that you really can't see any of the real issues with the station.

Now, Are there any OTHER reasons you think WFLDs ratings are worse than they've ever been before?

I'm not surprised by your personal attack here just because you disagree with my post' date=' you resort to this kind of behavior. So what's new? Cubs and Sox fans have always resorted to this type of childish behavior. :([/quote']

Your argument is childish. And frankly, something must be wrong with you if all you do is emote about hotties and bring a Cubs/Sox metaphor in every post you make.

Your argument is childish. And frankly, something must be wrong with you if all you do is emote about hotties and bring a Cubs/Sox metaphor in every post you make.
The problem is I'm not trying argue with anybody here, that's more or less your department. You're welcomed to express your opinion here of Chicago News, please keep your personal attacks to yourself.

THE NEWS JUST KEEPS GETTING WORSE FOR WFLD....

"Nielsen figures for September show local news viewership from 4:30 to 5 a.m. weekdays nearly tripled since last year. As in markets across the country that recently moved up the start of their morning news to 4:30, the strategy is designed to increase viewership for the hours that follow.

By that measure, the only winner in Chicago was ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7, which experienced a 4 percent increase in overall ratings from 5 to 6 a.m. Ratings for three others — Channel 5, CBS-owned WBBM-Channel 2, and Tribune Co.-owned WGN-Channel 9 — were unchanged. Fox-owned WFLD-Channel 32 declined 17 percent for the 5 a.m. hour." --R. Feder

MORALE THERE MUST BE AT AN ALL-TIME LOW.

THE NEWS JUST KEEPS GETTING WORSE FOR WFLD....

"Nielsen figures for September show local news viewership from 4:30 to 5 a.m. weekdays nearly tripled since last year. As in markets across the country that recently moved up the start of their morning news to 4:30, the strategy is designed to increase viewership for the hours that follow.

By that measure, the only winner in Chicago was ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7, which experienced a 4 percent increase in overall ratings from 5 to 6 a.m. Ratings for three others — Channel 5, CBS-owned WBBM-Channel 2, and Tribune Co.-owned WGN-Channel 9 — were unchanged. Fox-owned WFLD-Channel 32 declined 17 percent for the 5 a.m. hour." --R. Feder

MORALE THERE MUST BE AT AN ALL-TIME LOW.

Ha-Ha-Cant-blame-this-one-on-me.jpg

Jeff is right, WFLD is the only place in town morale is worse than at WMAQ.

Fox is tanking for several reasons.

The newsroom downsizing is ridiculous.

A lack of resources has put them behind the eight ball when it comes to covering a major city.

Then you have a bad staff combined with an inept new staff. Fowler is a joke. She brought down 2 and wasted no time doing the same at 32. Why she kept Jeff Dankurt the #2 is a good question. This guy is a joke tied to the bad history in that place. The 9 ep couldn't get the job done as a producer. The am ep is a hack who got fired from 2.

the content is awful. The lame indepth pieces and half hour interviews are a ratings killer. At some point corporate will not tolerate bad ratings. You need good demos for sales right now all the shows are tanking.

Archived