WABC opens/ music

Channel 4

I watched some of the NY Senate Debate which was taped Friday in the Regis and Kelly studio and it was HD.

Did WABC have to do something special to be able to record it in HD?

Could this mean the taped episodes of Regis and Kelly might be broadcast in HD?

Are you sure it was taped? Debates are usually live...

This debate aired live last Friday on 7online.com at 2pm, they showed a preview on EWN at 9am today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all of us know that WABC is not changing their newstheme anytime soon. All of their new promos have the Eyewitness News theme at the end. So I still don't get whats up with the 6pm open. At least they made the other openings more professional. They now say: This is the news leader Channel 7 Eyewitness News. I actually like that. However I would prefer that they would use Mike Lewis. It has not been like that since 2003.

That also serves as a station ID which would explain why they did ABC7 instead of just Channel 7

Check these newsteam promos, which also serve as station IDs, that just launched in last month: http://www.youtube.com/nynewswatch#p/u/11/Xzcm6QV6E9s. They clearly stick to the "Channel 7" brand.

The general station IDs that began airing earlier this year, however, fluctuate between "Channel 7" and "ABC7", but always use "Channel 7" when referring to news. http://www.youtube.com/nynewswatch#p/u/70/szncRPhMXI8

Considering the new Bill Ritter, Liz Cho, and "Eyewitness News is Everywhere" promos that just launched last month with the "Channel 7" brand, this election night promo seems like just a bit of inconsistency again.

When they say ABC7 in the election promo could that be because the network will also be covering it.. Not just WABC?

This. They're just reinforcing the network name.

Yes, WABC uses different brands. No, they're not going to pick one and stick with it.

I believe we've had a discussion many years ago and we came to the conclusion that the reason why they went with the switch to "Channel" moniker, rather than "ABC" in 2004 for the newscasts is because it flows better (easier to say), as there are less syllables. (Chan-nel Se-ven vs. A-B-C Se-ven). This helps especially during live reports and sign offs, reporters are less likely to stumble.

We've also suggested that the change was also for familiarity purposes; they want to base it on what people in the area colloquially know the channel as. Everyday average people often just informally say "Channel" followed by the number, they almost never refer to a station by its network name followed by the channel. So WABC is doing just that, refering themselves as "Channel" to further personalize themselves more with the viewers. It would be nice if they were consistent, but it's worked for them. They are still the leading station in the country so thats why many things they're doing though we may not like them, the majority does. I also don't think they can abandon "ABC" completely because my guess is that because they are owned and operated by ABC and is ABC's flagship station. I'm probably wrong though.

There are a plethora of instances where stations have completely disregarded the network's name and chose their own branding as we've seen with WPIX 11 completely ignoring "CW" when it comes to their newscasts and syndicated show promotions. I guess each network is different when it comes to O&O and mandating brandings.

When they say ABC7 in the election promo could that be because the network will also be covering it.. Not just WABC?

no, because the full 30 second election promo says: "Stay with ABC News and Channel 7 Eyewitness News for Vote 2010"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived