WABC opens/ music

Channel 4

Remember WABC spent as little as possible when upgrading their control room to HD. From pictures I've seen, they didn't even replace the CRT monitors other than the 3 monitors for the studio cameras. It's very likely that they don't have the equipment to record the production control feed in HD (HD news replays would be taped by Master Control). If this is correct, the "soft 16:9" was probably squished into 4:3, then stretched back and upconverted for playback. :lol:

When WABC re-runs their 11pm news a few hours later, it's 4:3, but not squshed. Just the "wings" are cut off. (I'm surprised that they still re-run it, since all of the other major stations in NYC stopped doing it years ago). They still only do sports highlights in 4:3, while everyone else that does news in HD (expect WNYW) does it in 16:9.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kind of disgrace that a hugely popular show like Regis and Kelly still isn't up to par like the other talk shows. Other Syndicated shows like Oprah and Ellen are far more advanced quality wise. When I saw the horrible quality of R&K, at first I thought there was an issue with my FiOS setup and it prompted me to call Customer Service to see what was going on because R&K looked extremely washed out and blurry. I wonder if it even is in HD because that program looks more like SD widescreen rather than true HD. Their newscasts seem to have a better quality than their other produced and taped shows.

Perhaps it may be asking for too much, but the shared studio situation should be abandoned immediately and they should rebuild both sets and individualize them with their own control rooms, I think that will permanently fix the problem and yield a better product like KABC and WLS. It seems as if the station simply doesn't want to spend any money for upgrades that are unnecessary to the majority of the viewers, which is understandable, considering that they've been number one for such a long time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that WABC in my opinion, simply doesn't operate like a true flagship station, is it safe to say that? I just don't get that "flagship feel" and "wow" factor when I watch the channel. I've seen other stations and affiliates like the one in Dallas, (I don't recall their call letters I think it's WFAA but I could be wrong) WPLG, WLS, and KABC just to name a few produce a far better product. As and O&O Flagship I'm expecting more from them and will always be a stickler for little issues like that.

Pardon my spelling and vocabulary because the auto correct feature on the iPhone is such a joke lol.

Vlad, WABC do have their own control rooms for that shared studio. TV14 is the production control room for "Live". They can't use TV13's control room for "Live" show preps and the local news cut-ins during GMA.

I don't know if the show still being broadcast over the air as 4:3, but over at the network, it's 16:9 from that TV14 feed.

Oh ok thanks for clarifying that. It seems they no longer use their newsroom anymore considering they have a new little set and area for break-ins and the GMA cuts.

Am a correct that unless a local station records Live With Regis and Kelly during the 9am ET broadcast the do not get the show in HD?

Do they re feed it as 16:9 SD at any other times?

As I mentioned before it's so noticeable when they air interviews or entire shows that are taped because of the soft SD 16:9 video.

Netnewsguy, If WABC can tape Gotta Know for LiveWell in HD from the Regis and Kelly Studio, why can't they record the not live Friday R&K episodes in HD?

One other thing, why is Scott Clark's always over modulated? There is no one in production that is hearing this that can turn the gain on his mic down?

Is it due to the automated production computer system they are using?

One other thing, why is Scott Clark's always over modulated? There is no one in production that is hearing this that can turn the gain on his mic down?

Is it due to the automated production computer system they are using?

With automation, you can set a threshold for when you want it to bring the level down a bit. He may speak so loudly that it's hitting his microphone that way and there's not much you can do other then have him move it down (there may also be a setting on his battery pack to bring his level down before it hits the receiver then goes into a DA, but I'm not sure how their system is set-up)

I'm talking about LiveWell HD. I've heard everything looks fuzzy on that channel due to low bitrates.

LWHD is on a subchannel 7.2 with AccuWeather 7.3. I hear that OTA viewers have lost quality on all ABC O&Os when the channel launch.ed I also see quality loss on CV and FiOS in some parts of the day, though 7.1 looks fine. The lesson here is not to use a HD subschannel with another SD subchannel. I wonder how it would it look if they get rid of 7.3 ?

LWHD is on a subchannel 7.2 with AccuWeather 7.3. I hear that OTA viewers have lost quality on all ABC O&Os when the channel launch.ed I also see quality loss on CV and FiOS in some parts of the day, though 7.1 looks fine. The lesson here is not to use a HD subschannel with another SD subchannel. I wonder how it would it look if they get rid of 7.3 ?

ATSC is only designed to have the capacity for one HD channel. WABC will always look bad (at least OTA) because of this (until LiveWell is discontinued or a new standard is introduced).

Anyways, I'm guessing the stuff taped in the R&K studio and aired on LiveWell is also in 16:9 SD, but the upconversion and loss of quality due to low bitrates is probably hiding this. The stuff posted on the web definitely doesn't look like it was sourced in HD to me.

The LiveWell HD video is soft but I think it's due to the bandwidth limitations.

If you compare R&K when a studio segment is SD 16:9 to Gotta Know which is taped in the same studio,

Gotta Know on LiveWell HD has much sharper video and the graphics look HD.

WABC has updated their "Everywhere" promos to a new incarnation that showcases the newest Eyewitness News van to join their fleet and what appears to be new mic flags that have yet to be seen during broadcasts. (These might just be promo-only flags, as were the ABC7 pins that talent wore in the last promo linked in this post).

New 2010 "Everywhere" promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imYxFziE3ew

The very first time we heard "Eyewitness News is Everywhere" was back in 1996:

This newest promo, however, seems to be more of an update to this one:

and what appears to be new mic flags that have yet to be seen during broadcasts. (These might just be promo-only flags, as were the ABC7 pins that talent wore in the last promo linked in this post).

Those have to be the ugliest mic flags I've ever seen. Judging by their massive size I'd imagine that they're just for the promo so you can make out the logo easier. If they were used regularly I could see them breaking very quickly. Not to mention how frustrated the photographers would get with that massive thing hanging on their camera.

Maybe if they were half the size or smaller...

Those have to be the ugliest mic flags I've ever seen. Judging by their massive size I'd imagine that they're just for the promo so you can make out the logo easier. If they were used regularly I could see them breaking very quickly. Not to mention how frustrated the photographers would get with that massive thing hanging on their camera.

Maybe if they were half the size or smaller...

I agree they are quite large for a mic flag but I like their style better than the cheesy ABC7 HD ones they have now. Remember they had ones like these back in 1999 when they phased in the "ABC7 Eyewitness News" brand. Only then, it was a four-sided mic flag and a smaller logo.

If I knew how to import the photo to this thread, the new mic flag is 3-D and it's the really same size of the older 1987-1999 circle 7 3-D flag. Big improvement from the last one.

You should have an option to upload attachments. down in "additional options".

Oh wow, the gloss on the ABC looks awesome.

They look really nice now, but I'm afraid of what time will do to them...

Time and abuse. I wonder how long it will be before we see parts of them chipped off or one side completely separated from another.

Yeah these are much nicer than the old HD ones. HD is so "2006" now the HD hype has long been over so I don't see why stations still need to emphasize it especially here in the number one market. So I'm glad they got rid of the other one. The funny thing is when you see these mics in person they are much smaller than they appear. I saw the older one with the HD at the town hall meting, it's much smaller so although they appear large, they aren't that big.

Time and abuse. I wonder how long it will be before we see parts of them chipped off or one side completely separated from another.

ABC 7 Chicago's (WLS) mic flags are sooo beaten up. They're triangular like WABC's and one, for example, has a corner missing while others have the logo nearly rubbed off, those replaced with sticker decals of the logo.

Unfortunately, I am looking online and can't find a picture of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched some of the NY Senate Debate which was taped Friday in the Regis and Kelly studio and it was HD.

Did WABC have to do something special to be able to record it in HD?

Could this mean the taped episodes of Regis and Kelly might be broadcast in HD?

I watched some of the NY Senate Debate which was taped Friday in the Regis and Kelly studio and it was HD.

Did WABC have to do something special to be able to record it in HD?

Could this mean the taped episodes of Regis and Kelly might be broadcast in HD?

Are you sure it was taped? Debates are usually live...

Archived