Global National / O&Os going HD

hinto

Global BC (CHAN) has been on a temporary virtual set for the last couple months, while work on their new (also virtual) set is under way. The station will go HD on Monday September 20. The new open has been posted to the station's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=10150268051770532&ref=mf

The new open had already debuted at CHBC Kelowna in July. Supposedly Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto will also go HD with similar set designs soon.

Global National is also relaunching in HD on the same evening, with new anchor Dawna Friesen. Kevin Newman's last day was August 20; since then the weekday edition has been once again anchored from Vancouver, after having been in Ottawa for the last 2 years.

Kevin Newman was a stellar anchor on Global National, as is obvious watching his recent farewell. He made it an outstanding broadcast. But, no matter if it's ITV or Nine News or Global, I hate virtual sets. I know Global boss Peter Viner is not known for splurging, but come on, a nice set is worth the investment.. they make for an inviting and comfortable viewing experience. The open's OK, a little headache-inducing!

Kevin Newman was a stellar anchor on Global National, as is obvious watching his recent farewell. He made it an outstanding broadcast. But, no matter if it's ITV or Nine News or Global, I hate virtual sets. I know Global boss Peter Viner is not known for splurging, but come on, a nice set is worth the investment.. they make for an inviting and comfortable viewing experience. The open's OK, a little headache-inducing!

I'll reserve judgment on the set until I actually see it, but I must say I prefer the current open over the new one. When I first saw the new open on CHBC back in July, I thought it was just a quick knock-off of the existing O&O open.

Another update from Wesla Wong. The HD launch for Global BC has now been pushed back to September 27, while the GN relaunch is still set for the 20th.

And courtesy of Global BC'S Wesla Wong, from two weeks back an update on the new set(s) (In HD even)

So... uh... the idea here is to spend more money on machinery to move the cameras than it would to build an actual physical set?

:smash:

I can understand the reasoning why Global wouldn't want to spend millions of dollars on physical sets that will just fall apart overtime. The wear and tear would be REALLY noticeable in HD.

When you are trying and flip 13 television stations to high definition/digital broadcasting, in a time where the TV news industry is supposedly dying, and when you're a company just recovering from bankruptcy protection... a virtual set makes sense.

I can understand the reasoning why Global wouldn't want to spend millions of dollars on physical sets that will just fall apart overtime. The wear and tear would be REALLY noticeable in HD.

When you are trying and flip 13 television stations to high definition/digital broadcasting, in a time where the TV news industry is supposedly dying, and when you're a company just recovering from bankruptcy protection... a virtual set makes sense.

If they were REALLY trying to save money they would have refreshed their old sets for HD.

Some of those sets were 10 years old and older and needed to go. The set at one of those stations was refreshed at least three times since its debut back in the mid 90's. Even during an affiliation change, they kept the set and just repainted it.

I guess this is some of the stuff they want to do from now on...

Today was the debut for Global National, and Global BC in HD. I do like Dawna Friesen she seems to be a pretty good anchor. The show also moved back to Vancouver, after being based in Ottawa for the past couple years. Also, the "set" is still a green screen with a desk on it . Graphics wise on both newscasts seemed to be more of an HD refresh of the previous graphics. I like the opens, Full Screens, Etc but I do not like the lower thirds or over the shoulders on both the national and BC newscasts.

Anyways, here is some video from todays show:

OK now normally, I hate virtual sets. Fullstop. But I have to say this is not bad! Easily the best-looking virtual news I've seen - Britain, Europe, this is how to do it - if you have to do it. (Although I'll take a real set, any day - and they should have made THIS real!).

Global National is worth keeping an eye on, and overall, it is very swish and "networky".

Archived