Rochester's WHAM now in HD

Weeters

After much anticipation, Rochester, NY's ABC affiliate WHAM debut in HD this morning from a new set with new graphics featuring a new logo.

[yt]8ocMgzGJqaQ[/yt]

The blue and red graphics designed by Hothaus have hints of the WABC graphics package designed by Giant Octopus. The graphics also feature a new circle 13 logo similar to WTVG in Toledo and KTRK in Houston.

The very modern set, designed by Devlin Design Group, features wood surfaces, lots of LCD screens, blue light panels, and a large projection screen behind the anchor desk.

All in all, these changes give a big market feel to a station in DMA market 80.

The graphics were designed by HotHaus. They have redone all the graphics for Newport television stations. HotHaus also does the graphics for a lot of Hearst stations. The set is either done by FX Group or Devlin. Those were the two set design companies that Newport had contracts with. It appears to be a Devlin set. It has similar characteristics to KTVX in Salt Lake City where I used to work. The logo is a rip-off of KTRK TV 13 in Houston. I am sure that was a management decision.

The graphics were designed by HotHaus. They have redone all the graphics for Newport television stations. HotHaus also does the graphics for a lot of Hearst stations. The set is either done by FX Group or Devlin. Those were the two set design companies that Newport had contracts with. It appears to be a Devlin set. It has similar characteristics to KTVX in Salt Lake City where I used to work. The logo is a rip-off of KTRK TV 13 in Houston. I am sure that was a management decision.

I thought it was Hothaus, but wasn't sure because it was so WABC-y.

Its really disappointing and kind of sad how a station in Upstate NY, has a better set than all of the stations here in the Tri-State Area, unbelievable. I'm jealous of them!!, lol. I guess they have more room since Rochester is a pretty big land area, compared to the condensed NYC, lol.

Anyway I'm not too blown away by the graphics though, since they are very similar to the Giant Octopus graphics that WCBS and WABC use but they are a bit better and sharper (HotHaus is typically way better than Giant Octopus anyway considering that WLS and KTRK's graphics simply never get old), but nonetheless the set is probably one of the nicest most intuitive news sets in New York. I hope WABC or WCBS looks up to them and follows suit because that would be a nice set to have here in the Tri-State Area. Their new set definitely beats all of those down here.

Now I'm not sure if the two logos that nickp are showing are the previous and current for WHAM, but nonetheless the new logo reminds me of WTVG's logo (The 13 ABC in Toledo, OH).

I take back what I said about it ripping off the KTRK logo. It rips off the WTVH logo.

I do kinda miss their old logo. It was at least unique branding. I would change the call letters before I did anything at that station.

200px-Wtvg_13abc.jpg.58433459069c509740bb9f94357f6bb7.jpg

33994-inter-logo.gif.c624e162df6fccf46b11e1e8f6fb75a3.gif

I guess they have more room since Rochester is a pretty big land area, compared to the condensed NYC, lol.

Their studio isn't very big at all. You can tell by looking through this photo gallery. It appears to be slightly larger than WDJT's studio. AND it has a support beam oddly placed in it (which they used to their advantage and mounted one of the weather center plasmas on it).

Also, had I looked closer, I would have seen the Devlin logo on this picture they posted back when I was writing the post.

I take back what I said about it ripping off the KTRK logo. It rips off the WTVH logo.

I do kinda miss their old logo. It was at least unique branding. I would change the call letters before I did anything at that station.

Why would you change the call letters? They're historic, George Eastman named WHAM-AM in the 1920s.

The previous logo looked pretty awful, as did the set. It's an all-around good update for WHAM.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in this market and I have yet to see it on my TV set at home (I went off to college for my freshmen year this year about six hours away... majoring in Broadcast Journalism by the way), which I cannot wait to see in a few weeks.

I have actually been to the studio a few times and the building itself is not very large. It is in a suburb of Rochester, Henrietta, which is where I live. The plot of land it is on is at the bottom of this hill, and is pretty much surrounded by a neighborhood on one side, a commercial property on another, a elderly home on the other, and on the fourth side, the street.

The room that holds the set is actually not very large, which is why I'm surprised about how they utilized the space in the studio so well.

Before, everything seemed to be sort of old and not up to date with their last style... but now that they upgraded virtually everything in the studio, the control room, and maybe the field cameras, I'm sure it is a lot more modern now (all they have to do now is replace the decades old carpet in the newsroom that they joked around about when I visited there for a job shadowing experience).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NewsHound
After much anticipation, Rochester, NY's ABC affiliate WHAM debut in HD this morning from a new set with new graphics featuring a new logo.

[yt]8ocMgzGJqaQ[/yt]

The blue and red graphics designed by Hothaus have hints of the WABC graphics package designed by Giant Octopus. The graphics also feature a new circle 13 logo similar to WTVG in Toledo and KTRK in Houston.

The very modern set, designed by Devlin Design Group, features wood surfaces, lots of LCD screens, blue light panels, and a large projection screen behind the anchor desk.

All in all, these changes give a big market feel to a station in DMA market 80.

HEY WHAM, Hearst called, they aren't happy you're copying their lower thirds.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived