KDKA Receives O&O Treatment

jestbiteme

I agree with you here' date=' but word came from the top that this specific graphic was not to be animated.[/quote']

Thanks for the inside tip!

And if anyone's interested, here's how they're doing co-branded news on the CW.

[YT]rmlpZHCgJT4[/YT]

HulkieD commented on one of my videos that KDKA has shown a great deal of creativity with these opens and that it just goes to show you what can be done with this look. Apparently, KDKA has a TON of opens for different scenarios, if you will... this one is Steelers Sunday themed. I love that, one thing that I hated about the previous package was the lack of differentiating elements between opens.

I love these new opens because they remind me of how KD used to lay their ID over b-roll of one of their big stories and then transition into the open.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

What I find odd though is that they're using "kdka.com". It should technically be "cbspittsburgh.com" since that's the "official" web address.

Are they promoting cbspittsburgh.com on air? Or is everything still referring to "kdka.com"? It wouldn't surprise me if it were the latter since CBS' TV and radio stations can't make up their mind.

I guess because KDKA's calls are part of their heritage. You could make the case for WBZ, WJZ and WCCO and KYW...out of those, KD and KYW's history go back much farther. But...that doesn't really explain why KYW doesn't use their calls in their website address, though. Just my theory...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I guess because KDKA's calls are part of their heritage. You could make the case for WBZ, WJZ and WCCO and KYW...out of those, KD and KYW's history go back much farther. But...that doesn't really explain why KYW doesn't use their calls in their website address, though. Just my theory...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Well, KDKA.com works to refer to the site as all of the CBS Pittsburgh stations use the KDKA calls - the other markets, not so much.

Plus, KYW-TV has been leaning on the CBS identity for about 8 years now, and despite how I might feel about the heritage Group W branding, it was the best move they could have made. Going back to KYW-3 branding would only set them back at this point.

• 6 months later...

Don't they have any other sun graphic they can use on the 5 day?!? That sun just looks so dark, dull, and depressing.. It doesn't make a sunny day look like a good/fun day. It just seems every other station has a sun graphic that looks big, bright, and a big happy ball of fire. lol..

KGTV had those weather icons 1999-2005. its time for an update

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

KDKA recently updated a few of its graphics. The Breaking News graphic has been updated with some red in it, and the LIVE transition now includes a letter-by-letter animation, rather than the entire word animating at once.

KDKA recently updated a few of its graphics. The Breaking News graphic has been updated with some red in it, and the LIVE transition now includes a letter-by-letter animation, rather than the entire word animating at once.

That new Breaking News animation seems to be rolling out across the O&Os. I saw WCBS with the new style and then KYW updated to it this past week. I haven't seen the new LIVE animation yet, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KDKA has updated these animations again. See this video at :10 http://pittsburgh.cb...n-parkway-east/

WBZ started using those on Friday. The "New Story", "Live", and "New Tonight" animations are blue, but the "breaking news" one is red. Also, either last week or the week before they added sort of an orange hue to the cbs eye animations found on many of the monitors in the studio.

The new stings were in effect yesterday on KYW - the new Breaking News sting opened the newscast. They used it again for Talk Philly/the noon news, so it hasn't been pulled here.

Personally I don't think it fits the existing package at all, and if anything it looks like a rip of NBC's Look F (especially the WCAU rendition). I wonder, though, if they're planning some kind of refresh of the graphics. They are two years old at this point, even though some stations switched more recently.

Speaking of refresh, they seem to have reworked their websites again. The layout's much improved, I think. They also launched a new iPad app called YourDay - it's a single app for all of their markets with TV or news/talk radio stations, and you can switch between cities on the fly. It's probably the most attractive and usable local news iPad (or, for that matter, iPhone) app I've seen. They get a little overboard with the interstitial ads, but it's a well-designed app.

Archived