Ralph Penza passes away

NYNews

He was one of the few remaining old school journalists that have all but disappeared from newsrooms that are getting increasingly younger, inexperienced and more clueless by the day.

I shook his hand when I was a kid while he was covering a story in Bay Ridge Brooklyn.

A complete class act.

He was one of only a handful still on the air in this market that broadcast journalism students like myself should try and emulate.

Chuck did the retrospective of Ralph Penza on the 6pm. On Channel 2 at 6 Jim Rosenfield was saying how when he was at WNBC how Ralph always had that dedication of spark in getting the story, just like a young person and how Ralph had a good sense of humor. Dana who didn't work with him said he was a tremendous reporter a NY fixture and presense.

On Channel 5 Ernie and Rosanna mentioned how good Ralph was and how he will be missed. Rosanna said she's seen him in the field and he was a class act, RIP Ralph

On channel 11 Jim Watkins (who replaced Penza on Channel 4 for two years before wnbc brought back ralph) just read the telepropter, but Kaity added in that he was a very good guy

On the 11pm news Sue mentioned that she had anchored with him for the last time. She said that he had a cough and that he better get to the doctor. It is just very sad news. I really enjoyed Ralph's journalism style. Before the days of Glen Walker doing the weekend news I used to watch Ralph Penza and Lynda. I miss those days, but am thankful that I had the opportunity to see Ralph do what he did best.

Whether at the desk or in the field, in the boroughs or beyond, Ralph Penza simply brought it, 100%...if not more. On top of that, he exuded straight class along with a pure passion for the news.

Ralph learned from the best, and what he learned stuck with him throughout his career. May the same be said of current and future reporters who learn from him and his likes.

My heart goes out to his family, and to the even bigger one consisting of colleagues and viewers. To say that Ralph will be missed and remembered would be an understatement.

Wow this is horrible and terrible news. So sudden as well. I never knew that he was battling an illness let alone knew that he was in his 70s. He does look a bit younger for his age, either way this is an unfortunate loss for WNBC. My condolences go out to him and his family and WNBC. Very sad. :D

-Vlad

Ralph Penza was a true professional broadcast journalist. I still fondly recall watching him co-anchor News 4 New York with Carol Jenkins and then Andria Hall. Question please. I remember on his last weekend show on WNBC, Andria said to him, "Finally liberated from the weekends". Does anybody know where he went after that, before returning to WNBC. Did he become a weekday anchor somewhere? My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, children, and all of his fellow fans. Rest in peace Ralph. You were and always will be a New York television news legend!

Ralph Penza was a true professional broadcast journalist. I still fondly recall watching him co-anchor News 4 New York with Carol Jenkins and then Andria Hall. Question please. I remember on his last weekend show on WNBC, Andria said to him, "Finally liberated from the weekends". Does anybody know where he went after that, before returning to WNBC. Did he become a weekday anchor somewhere? My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, children, and all of his fellow fans. Rest in peace Ralph. You were and always will be a New York television news legend!

Back then they replaced Ralph Penza with Jim Watkins. I remember not being happy. Either other viewers wrote to the station for him to come back or management changed and re-hired him as a senior corresponded, did special reports and often traveled as well as being a sustitute anchor.

Between Carol Jenkins and Andria Hall (Jenkins was promoted to weekdays), Ralph worked weekend evening with Perri Peltz who also did the am weekends. After Perri had a baby, she cut back to weekend mornings and then they brought in Andria Hall.

Bat Battle said she was speechless when she found out yesterday and said he is a role model and she hopes she could be as good as he was, which is very kind because she already is a very good reporter. It was nice that the Daily News, NY Times and Newsday all had an article about penza as well as the competing news stations all saying he passed away.

I thought that Ralph Penza was older then Chuck, but didn't think he was that old.

Archived