Monsters & Money Signs Off

lazynetjunkie

Today, Monsters & Money In The Morning signed off for the last time.. Mike Hegedus and Terry Savage both had tearful farewell messages at the end of the show. Mike had a good point in his message about the direction of the TV news business now with the lack of creativity out there nowadays and using the cover of the bad ecomony for stations making cuts, etc.

Unfortunately, the videos haven't been put up online (probably due to the morning crew's party right after the show). If they happen to put up the closing video, I'll add a link here.

I have to give credit to the last few farewells given in the Chicago market recently by Terry Savage, Mike Hegedus, WFLD's Nancy Pender, and WFLD's Lilia Chacon. They were open and honest with what their stations are doing and/or said/implied how they really felt of how they were treated.

I liked Mike Hegedus' honest, emotional, and heartfelt signoff. I agree that creativity is lacking these days (think stale channel 7 and clones) and a new show like Monsters & Money in the Morning really needed more time to establish itself. Perhaps the mix of hosts wasn't just right but the formula could have been tweaked a little. Who knows?

Starting Monday we'll see another incarnation of the channel 2 morning news...let's see how it goes.

I've been looking for this for a couple of days and just found it. Here is Nancy Pender's sign-off:

[yt]XhaPBeokRMk[/yt]

I notice that, as someone mentioned when it was replaced with the old lightbox briefly, it looks like someone kicked the monitor on the front of the desk...

You gotta love the "one of the highest rated newscasts at WFLD" nugget she threw out there. It just goes to show how many stupid mistakes (like firing the entire weekend team) Renda has made in his first year at WFLD.

WFLD dumping the entire weekend team threw everyone off. That was their highest rated newscast, even beating out WGN many times. I really wonder who they're going to put permanently on weekends..

Anyways, the Monsters farewell has been posted: http://cbs2chicago.com/video/[email protected]

I wonder if they can still get their money back on the Monster Cam.. hahaha.

As of this evening (well, the 5:30PM newscast), still no big anchor desk back in the studio. Maybe they're really going to cram everyone on the new morning show into that small "basement rec room dry bar" that they've been using as an anchor desk the past year.. Or maybe they're just going to bring in the large comfy white chairs from the old "Eye on Chicago" set from their old studios. They still have them sitting in a storage room there..

The only set changes I've noticed from on-air was the giant Monsters & Money light box panel, which covered the flat panel hole, was gone Friday evening. It was just a black hole again.

I trruthfully hope they do SOMETHING with that part of the set, though...seeing a whole area unused now and taken apart is quire terrible from the street!! I know I may not live in the market however it's a substantial bummer to not see the set brought back to the way it was. The set, as it first appeared in 2008, would be awesome to see again, except perhaps a large monitor with a live shot behind the anchors instead of the monitor wall....if people really had a problem with it.

I trruthfully hope they do SOMETHING with that part of the set, though...seeing a whole area unused now and taken apart is quire terrible from the street!! I know I may not live in the market however it's a substantial bummer to not see the set brought back to the way it was. The set, as it first appeared in 2008, would be awesome to see again, except perhaps a large monitor with a live shot behind the anchors instead of the monitor wall....if people really had a problem with it.

A large screen with a live shot of the city would be sweet for that spot. It's what WFLD FOX Chicago puts on their large screen in the studio. Having one in the center directly behind the anchors would work perfect.. Along with replacing the flat screen they "sold" last year. Whatever the case, they just have to replace that horrible fake conference room backdrop they've used for Monsters and Money.

It's only 6:00 and I have to say so far, so good. They just started so I'm not going to judge the new morning show itself yet as it's still a work in progress. Today just seems to be a regular WLS-style format newscast but I can see it changing.

I think it'll take a bit for the regular Chicagoan news viewer to get used to the new guys (Steve and Megan) but I think Chicago should grow on to them. I can see Megan Glaros becoming really popular around here being the best looking female meteorologist in town. She's really perky too. Seems more like someone that would be in the LA market. I couldn't stand Steve the first 10 minutes I watched him but he's already growing on to me. He's still got an eastern accent in him but he's got that soft easy voice that it doesn't come out so much. Steve seems to be a natural at sports. He's been reporting the sports this morning and he fits the role perfectly.. Well, just read he's got sports in his background. Steve just needs practice pronouncing some names like "Puccinelli".. lol.

I can see this morning crew (Steve, Susan, Megan, and Don) making for a more fun morning show as time goes and things slide into place. I'm already having more confidence as I'm watching the new show and I think this morning show will work out.

The only one that doesn't look happy on the morning show is Mike Puccinelli who looks like got knocked down to morning GA reporter..

As for the set, they're still using the small "basement rec room dry bar" as the anchor desk. No large anchor desk in sight and there's quite a few burned out light bulbs on the set which still need to be changed.. However, they finally gave the studio floor a good cleaning. No more scuff marks, all the tape on the floor in the main part of the studio have been removed, and the floor got a nice fresh coat of wax. That floor as needed that for a long time.

I don't like the Enforcer NG2 morning cuts they're using on the morning show but oh well. I was hoping they would have went back to the NG1 morning cuts they previously used.

I'm an obsessive set-bulb changer, so I assume I would go insane working there. They can't be that expensive, I'm not sure why they just don't change them.

I don't understand why they just don't change them either.. LED's aren't that expensive and fluorescents cost next to nothing. Laziness or just not caring enough to is what I'm just guessing.

WFLD also has a bulb problem on their set that just gets me too. Underneath their large flat screen on the set, there are 3 fluorescent tubes. One fluorescent tube always appears to burn out. It's very noticeable too. But the bulb isn't the problem. One of the sockets that holds the bulb in is broken. It's been broken since that new set was built. Every other day or so, the bulb goes out and usually within a day or two, someone pushes the bulb back into place. But this is a very constant necessary thing. It's a very very cheap fix too. The part is less than $10 and it can really be fixed by someone already working at the station or if they really wanted to get an electrician to fix it, it would be somewhere between $60-$100 depending on who they would hire.

I too am an obsessive bulb changer in general. I used to have a part time job with a major retail store chain where I would just travel around to all the stores in the district/region changing light bulbs. Whenever I see a burned out or non-working bulb anywhere I go, it drives me nuts. Trust me, the times I was at the station, especially in their old building, it drove me nuts seeing the bulbs that were burned out but I just couldn't touch.

Saw the new show today...it's alright. I thought Steve Bartelstein was kind of stiff...everyone else was great. I wish they would have used the big news desk. I don't like everyone crowded around that small mini-desk. I *REALLY* hope they use the big desk for Bill & Walter's comeback on Wednesday.

I tuned in at around 4:40 am and thought it was okay. I agree it's too early to pass overall judgment, but I didn't like the weather gal. I guess it was asking too much for her to update the weather reports or, at the very least, sit at the weather desk. Plus, I know Don was using the green screen for traffic, but it would have been nice to see Megan give a full weather report rather than repeat the same thing over and over again.

Steve was a little stiff, but that's likely to change. Megan can dial it down a bit. Mike did look unhappy, but that could be because it has been uncomfortable 24/7 weather-wise the past couple of days. Who would want to be out there in that?

Susan was solid as always and Don seems comfortable in his new role. They need to use Chopper 2 more for breaking news. Sky5/Air Fox was able to provide live shots of a apt. building fire within minutes after the report about it came in. It was only briefly mentioned during one of Don's reports. This is an area they really need to work on.

Mike did look unhappy, but that could be because it has been uncomfortable 24/7 weather-wise the past couple of days. Who would want to be out there in that?

Susan was solid as always and Don seems comfortable in his new role. They need to use Chopper 2 more for breaking news. Sky5/Air Fox was able to provide live shots of a apt. building fire within minutes after the report about it came in. It was only briefly mentioned during one of Don's reports. This is an area they really need to work on.

I didn't think of the weather.. It has been horrible the past couple days so you're definitely right about that.

I agree with the whole Chopper 2/breaking news deal. CBS 2 used to be on top with their breaking news chopper usage/coverage beating out everyone else in the market but management cut back on Kris Habermehl and Chopper 2 to save money back in early 2009. Now that they're going back into the normal morning news game and want to come in strong, I think it'll be a really good idea for them to get back onto the Chopper 2 full usage.

I know I've said this many times but they really need the big anchor desk back in there.. I don't like how Don doesn't even get a seat at the desk because the desk barely seats 3.

The morning show was ok. Like everyone has said it's still early so they'll work out the kinks. I think Don was ok he could use some coaching from Susan on speaking "Traffic" but i know he'll get it. I do agree though Megan does need to tone it down just a little bit. Shes waayyy to happy/giddy for the morning.

I completely agree on the desk. They need the full desk. It just looks funny they way they have things set up now. I wonder if they will bring it in when Bill and Walter come back on Wednesday or when Kate joins them in a few weeks. That will give them time to order/figure out anything else with the set and complete their transition with everything.

If anyone gets a chance to check it out, take notice of how ridiculous/ridiculously smaller (than usual) the desk looks with the dozens of papers scattered all over it. If they don't figure it out quick, some of those stacks are going to fall off the desk on air, and that wouldn't at all be embarrassing.

There is no doubt that I am definitely not thrilled about the way that CBS 2 is using their set! Their approach to set usage is quite simply too limited for my taste, and I do not even live in the market! It's a bummer that the part of the set once used for "Monsters" isn't being used!

Change doesn't happen overnight, however, so I should hold out some hope...

Can someone please tell the management that a set's a set? The way they've been obsessing over that set (No big desk! Can't have the fake monitor wall! Hey, let's position the desk in a way that makes a number of the areas unusable!) makes me think that the management is made up of rogue TVNT members.

Archived