Steve Bartelstein resurfaces!

TellyGenic

I've caught parts of Monsters & Money in the Morning the past couple days and I've seen Mike Hegedus and Terry Savage along with guest hosts. Can't remember who was on yesterday...today I saw Erich "Mancow" Muller and Irv Miller...Irv was probably on just to comment about the Blago trail though. Show seems much more subdued without Mike North.

Today from Feder--

"Susan Carlson had been assigned to co-anchor the station’s new morning show with newcomer Steve Bartelstein. Carlson, a Chicago area native who had been news and traffic anchor on 'Monsters and Money in the Morning,' joined Channel 2 in December 2002 from Citadel Broadcasting news/talk WLS-AM (890)."

It's hard to explain. When you travel around the country alot, you start to "pick up" on certain things that just tell you where someone is from.. People from certain areas have certain features that just connect them to that area. I usually can sometimes just tell if someone is from the midwest by just looking at them. You don't need to hear their accent/dialect to know where someone is from.

I'll admit, I've heard his voice on videos that kind of point towards the midwest. However, the midwest is a large area. What pointed him towards "Chicagoan" is white male with almost completely shaved head (leaving noticeable hair stubble remaining) and the "business wrinkles" (that's what they're called from what I've learned) on the forehead. This look is most common in Chicago among white males of his age. He also has more of that blue collar hard worker type look to him which I think the Chicagoan viewers will pick up more on which is why I think he'd be more accepted in this market.

Some colleges offer courses on this kind of stuff too. It might be an idea just to take one for the heck of it. Back when I was still in school, I thought about it but never did.. I should have though.

I'm at a loss for words.

Today from Feder--

"Susan Carlson had been assigned to co-anchor the station’s new morning show with newcomer Steve Bartelstein. Carlson, a Chicago area native who had been news and traffic anchor on 'Monsters and Money in the Morning,' joined Channel 2 in December 2002 from Citadel Broadcasting news/talk WLS-AM (890)."

Interesting decision. That's like the third different alternative that they've considered over the past week, but it makes sense. Now what happens to Rosanne Tellez?

Interesting decision. That's like the third different alternative that they've considered over the past week' date=' but it makes sense. Now what happens to Rosanne Tellez?[/quote']

I knew management wasn't stupid enough to dump Susan from the morning show.

For the time being, I really believe Roseanne is going to be the "Mary Ann Childers" of today.. Continue anchoring the 11AM newscast, continue being the medical reporter, and being fill-in PM anchor.

They really didn't have much of a choice. It would have been a much tougher battle to gain viewers with a whole new morning team. With what seems like serious over-reaching by both Peter Dunn and David Friend, one would hope that WBBM management is fighting to retain some decision-making responsibilities.

I wonder how much time the management team has been given to "right the ship"...

Whatever set changes they make for the new morning show, I don't think they'll be using the windows as a backdrop for a while.. I just noticed they put scaffolding outside the building covering the sidewalk outside the their studio windows. It appears they're finally going to finish off the exterior portion of the building above the studio where the giant jumbotron is.

Whatever set changes they make for the new morning show, I don't think they'll be using the windows as a backdrop for a while.. I just noticed they put scaffolding outside the building covering the sidewalk outside the their studio windows. It appears they're finally going to finish off the exterior portion of the building above the studio where the giant jumbotron is.

Nope, I specifically asked if they were working to complete that jumbotron wall and was told that a few weeks ago when there were heavy storms in the area several of the windows at 22 W. Washington shattered and broke, and they are working to replace them, I received this from Rob Johnson and the station even did a report on it by Suzanne LeMignot--see web archives to view.

Nope, I specifically asked if they were working to complete that jumbotron wall and was told that a few weeks ago when there were heavy storms in the area several of the windows at 22 W. Washington shattered and broke, and they are working to replace them, I received this from Rob Johnson and the station even did a report on it by Suzanne LeMignot--see web archives to view.

Ohhh.. Ok. I haven't drove past there in a long time and I never saw the report and they haven't really shown any outside shots of the building in a long time (that's probably why) so I just never noticed it.

Susan Carlson will co-anchor the news with Steve. Don Schwenneker is moving to Traffic.

http://blogs.vocalo.org/feder/2010/08/%E2%80%98donny-detour%E2%80%99-hits-roadblock-in-cbs-2-career/35225

Phil Rosenthal beat Feder to the Susan Carlson part a few days ago..

I think traffic would be a good fit for Don. I believe he has filled-in for traffic before on the old morning show so it shouldn't be all completely new to him. I just don't know why Feder tries to make anchoring/reporting traffic like it's a bad or low thing. Don is a very versatile guy. He's a meteorologist and he can anchor the news too. He can add traffic to the list now. Versatility is the number one thing management nowadays look for in talent. Even if WBBM was to let go of Don, I know he'd be quickly picked up by another station around somewhere just due to his versatility.

Don is a good soldier and I'm sure he's happy to have a job knowing the situation in the TV news business nowadays. I'm just glad WBBM is keeping him. He really fits into the category of "all-around nice guy Chicago meteorologist" like Steve Baskerville and WFLD's Mark Strehl. I think Don is a TVNT member too..

I'm sure he'll still put his meteorology skills to work as a fill-in meteorologist. I'm guessing we won't be seeing Rick DiMaio so much anymore since Mary Kay will be back to weekends for good now.

Would be nice though if they did finish off that horrible unfinished jumbotron wall...if anything by putting up matching tile on that section or even put up station advertising.

Wasn't there plans to fill that space with a metal mesh with the logo on it?

1_DSC00586web.jpg

Are those steel studs along the bottom still visible? They really need to do SOMETHING to cover all that up...

Wasn't there plans to fill that space with a metal mesh with the logo on it?

Are those steel studs along the bottom still visible? They really need to do SOMETHING to cover all that up...

The steel studs on on the bottom are still visible. Originally, there was supposed to be a news ticker (similar to WLS's) that wrapped around the building covering those studs but Ahern cancelled that order at the very last minute. I still think they plan on putting a news ticker there. Those studs serve no real structural purpose and were put in place for holding up the news ticker.

I heard there were some building/electrical/city code issues with what they were going to cover the top with. The city didn't approve the mesh that was supposed to go up there. Plus, the electrical boxes you see on the corner (for the jumbo tron) must remain unblocked and fully accessible because of the type of electrical boxes they are. They would either have to be moved or there would have to be a giant door put there. That screen was originally supposed to cover those electrical boxes, but once again, Captain Ahern at the last minute wanted the screen centered above the studio instead of at the corner so they just ran conduit over. The screen is actually held a couple feet away from the building still leaving access to the electrical boxes.

I think that whole thing just goes to show you how ridiculous city codes can be. I know around here the city would be after them for having exposed building materials. I also like how they don't want the electrical boxes to be covered by an (presumably easily removable) metal mesh, but covering it with a giant LED screen was going to be a-ok. The space difference between the two is probably the reason... couldn't they just build out the panels to be flush with the screen?

I think that whole thing just goes to show you how ridiculous city codes can be. I know around here the city would be after them for having exposed building materials. I also like how they don't want the electrical boxes to be covered by an (presumably easily removable) metal mesh, but covering it with a giant LED screen was going to be a-ok. The space difference between the two is probably the reason... couldn't they just build out the panels to be flush with the screen?

Chicago has some of the most ridiculous codes I've seen around.. I think it's mainly due to this being the union capitol in the country and Chicago's screwed up politics. This is the only city in the world where code doesn't allow PVC/plastic pipes to be used in plumbing.

I'm sure they could put some panels to be flush with the screen. They could put some cool looking wavy panels to draw attention to their studio. Heck, maybe some giant lightboxes with some CBS 2 graphic panels or giant portraits of Rob Johnson and Kate Sullivan. hahahaha.. Nah, I actually wouldn't want to see giant portraits there either.

Another problem they have doing any modifications with the building is that the building is currently owned by a bank as a foreclosed property. Bank of America owns the block 37 building. The building went into foreclosure a couple years back and Bank of America still hasn't been able to sell the building. In a way, CBS is happy that a bank owns the building because the bank can't raise their lease/rent (although they're in a 20 year lease, I believe, and the building will most likely have a new owner by then). However, the mall in the basement of the building still remains mainly vacant due to the bank owning the building and all the red tape that a business has to go through just to lease a space in there. Same goes for all the empty floors and office spaces upstairs. Just getting approval for anything by Bank of America or just being able to lease a space in that building takes a very very long time and is such a tedious process..

Another problem they have doing any modifications with the building is that the building is currently owned by a bank as a foreclosed property. Bank of America owns the block 37 building. The building went into foreclosure a couple years back and Bank of America still hasn't been able to sell the building. In a way, CBS is happy that a bank owns the building because the bank can't raise their lease/rent (although they're in a 20 year lease, I believe, and the building will most likely have a new owner by then). However, the mall in the basement of the building still remains mainly vacant due to the bank owning the building and all the red tape that a business has to go through just to lease a space in there. Same goes for all the empty floors and office spaces upstairs. Just getting approval for anything by Bank of America or just being able to lease a space in that building takes a very very long time and is such a tedious process..

Get your facts straight. 22 West Washington (the building WBBM and Morningstar are housed in) is separate and owned/managed by Golub & Co, along with the planned residential portion of the space.

It is NOT part of the foreclosure against Joseph Freed & Associates, who manage the retail portion of the 108 North State/Block 37 mall. CB Richard Ellis is the appointed as receiver for the property.

Get your facts straight. 22 West Washington (the building WBBM and Morningstar are housed in) is separate and owned/managed by Golub & Co, along with the planned residential portion of the space.

It is NOT part of the foreclosure against Joseph Freed & Associates, who manage the retail portion of the 108 North State/Block 37 mall. CB Richard Ellis is the appointed as receiver for the property.

Shows how much current employees are kept in the dark. Whom I got the info from..

Archived