WNBC Studio

Channel 4

When Channel 4 renovated their studio almost two years ago I hated it. For the past couple of months now I am now really starting to like it. I actuall watched Miked Up and the Debrief for the first time. I noticed their are other parts of the studio that they should utilize. For example where they do Miked up, that is where they should do their interviews instead of the plasma screen. Their are other parts as well that could be utilized as well like the place right next to where the weather center is. They should put a news desk their and a skyline. That way we can have something for everyone. The newsroom backround for some newscasts (current set up) and the backdrop of New York.

There's not enough room for that, but I agree, the set is decent. One thing I would like to see changed are the dull duratrans in the background-a skyline view, or something fitting in with the new titles would be great. Other than that, I have no qualms. I just wish they'd update their L3s and OTSs with something nicer.

I know it wasn't terribly popular with local fans, but the current WNBC newsroom set is one of my favorite local TV sets in the country. It might even be my favorite. The graphics aren't the greatest, but I just love that set.

Keep in mind that studio was an old conference room and is not very big. There's barely enough room to move the cameras around (they probably move about all of three feet in any direction anymore), let alone fit in ANOTHER desk.

I agree with all of you. I got up early today and watched Today in New York at 4:30 am. I didn't realize it was that small. The space that I was talking about next to the weather center is really tiny. I noticed it right before they went into commercial break when they swing the camera around.

Anyway it took me time to get use to their new setup and now I love it. Does anyone think they could possibly make some small changes to make it seem more like a studio that is in New York.

Don't get me wrong. I like the set. I always like newsroom sets and I wish more stations used them. It's one of the reasons I like WHDH and WSVN, because of those newsplexes.

That being said, it's very very small when compared to many local news sets across the country, let alone the giant cavern the station used to use, and it shows on air.

Honestly, I think the NBC O&O in the nation's #1 market deserves much better than a former conference room, but given how NBC treats their television stations it's not surprising. Just be glad that your graphics display in HD; I can't say the same for Philly...

I don't think the set needs any changes. Albeit small, it's the best looking one in New York. It looks sleek and modern, which can't be said of the other stations. The size is really not an issue, they've utilize the space well.

The WNBC set is really not that bad at all, although I did like their previous massive one a whole let better, but then again I guess that is the new direction nowadays, going small, but big at the same time, haha. Apparently I still have yet to see them use those desk cameras, supposedly every reporter as I recall from the night of the debut, has a personal desk camera that is SD Widescreen or probably even in HD so that they can report directly from their desks if need be. Anyway overall so far I like WNBC's presentation, the graphics are perfect, I don't see anything wrong with them the L3s and the OTS are fine, overall pretty sleek and great looking.

WCBS certainly needs to upgrade their set along with WABC. Other than that the other stations are pretty much OK.

WABC changed their set in 2004, and did a "facelift" to the same existing studio in 2007 after the fire. I think WABC needs something a better, again a background plasma shot of the city like KABC does would be a nice twist.

WCBS is also due for an upgrade they've been using their studio for quite sometime, did WCBS have 2 sets? It seems that they only use one now for all of their broadcasts, I remember during the News In Focus with Roz Abrams and Cindy Hsu, they would have 2 sets one that they'd use in the morning and noon and the other would be used during the evening broadcasts. What happened to that other set? I believe think that set had a shot of the Brooklyn Bridge if I recall. It had a daytime backdrop. The current set always has that same nightime dark backdrop.

Apparently I still have yet to see them use those desk cameras, supposedly every reporter as I recall from the night of the debut, has a personal desk camera that is SD Widescreen or probably even in HD so that they can report directly from their desks if need be.

Those cameras have been used before. More so, prior to the cancellation of News 4 NY @ 5pm. I recall Chuck doing previews for the 6pm newscast and a couple of reports from reporters using those cameras. Not so much ever since though.

WCBS is also due for an upgrade they've been using their studio for quite sometime, did WCBS have 2 sets? It seems that they only use one now for all of their broadcasts, I remember during the News In Focus with Roz Abrams and Cindy Hsu, they would have 2 sets one that they'd use in the morning and noon and the other would be used during the evening broadcasts. What happened to that other set? I believe think that set had a shot of the Brooklyn Bridge if I recall. It had a daytime backdrop. The current set always has that same nightime dark backdrop.

When CBS 2 returned to Studio 46 in January 2003, they did indeed use two desks. A large projection screen was installed behind the desk used for the morning, noon and 5:00 newscasts sometime after that (April 2006? or sooner?). When they went HD in April 2007, they decided to use only the desk that had been used at night (and you can see that the backdrop is a nighttime shot, even at noon). The projection screen is now used as both the interview area (the original interview area seems to only be used for Eye on New York and election specials) and a stand-up for anchors and sometimes reporters.

I liked having two different desk sets... oh well.

• 1 year later...

I noticed tonight Janice did her weather report with the maps on a green screen instead of standing by the giant flat screen TV.

Anyone know where in the studio they put the green screen wall?

Don't know if it's due to the warm weather and air conditioner problems, I've noticed NY Live has been using the News 4 studio this and last week.

For my two cents on the situation, I really liked the set/newsroom when it debuted. To me it looked avant-garde and amazing. I say that it should stay for a few more months. Oh anon the new set thing, who started mentioning it, how and when did it become realized and when will it be groundbroken? I GOTTA KNOW!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WNBC will NOT be using the vacant Studio 3B. NBC News will be using that studio for a new MSNBC show called "Rock Center" and the backstage area 'Nightly News." Word is Nightly is moving from the newsroom back to a studio. There are now two unfinished sets in that space.

You know, now that I think about it, could they be looking at moving WNBC into the second floor of Studio 1A? Countdown left a while ago, and they could easily move "Dateline" into one of the MSNBC sets or the new 3B set...

Here's something that also should really bear thinking.

Versus has studios in Connecticut. Instead of leaving those studios for 30 Rock, they built new state of the art sets that are already being used - particularly for the newly branded NBC programming that's starting to appear.

It really can't be that much out of the question for NBC to start originating all sports programming there, freeing up a studio for WNBC to move into...

Could be???? We never know. I still think Studio 8G has lots of space and one floor below the 7th floor newsroom. I'm going back to NBC one weekend and fish out more details.

And Studio 3B only fits two sets. Not three. It's a smaller space now.

Good Luck. And please find some good news.

Here's something that also should really bear thinking.

Versus has studios in Connecticut. Instead of leaving those studios for 30 Rock, they built new state of the art sets that are already being used - particularly for the newly branded NBC programming that's starting to appear.

It really can't be that much out of the question for NBC to start originating all sports programming there, freeing up a studio for WNBC to move into...

That's great for both NBC Sports and WNBC because NBC Sports will have a great state-of-the-art set waiting for it and WNBC have many choices for studio floors ahead of them. Just have to wait for more news.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived