WBBM adopts O&O package

news2chicago

The only thing I would change is the lowers, which just seem so much more generic than the rest of the package. There's little there, and the animation (at least what I've seen so far) is clunky. I wish they'd redo those, but other than that I'd welcome it.

The lower thirds bother me too, but for different reasons. Firstly, Arial has got to go. Switch to Helvetica, Gotham, I don't care, just get rid of Arial. Secondly, I liked the lower thirds when they debuted with just the transparent black with the blue CBS eye animation to the side. I liked the simplicity of that. It was almost BBC-like. But then, after about a month, all of the stations decided to make them all blue, and they look messy now.

The bug also bothers me. It looks too cluttered with the time and temp, the HD logo, and the website.

I also wish KCNC used real video in their open and switched to Enforcer or the KOVR cut of the Pride Collection. There's a resync of KCNC's open with the Pride Collection on YouTube, and it actually works really nicely.

Other than those minor gripes, I think it's a good package. I love the full screen backdrop with the glassy CBS eye moving in a shade of royal blue. The package is simple enough that it fits a lot of stations easily.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The lower thirds bother me too, but for different reasons. Firstly, Arial has got to go. Switch to Helvetica, Gotham, I don't care, just get rid of Arial. Secondly, I liked the lower thirds when they debuted with just the transparent black with the blue CBS eye animation to the side. I liked the simplicity of that. It was almost BBC-like. But then, after about a month, all of the stations decided to make them all blue, and they look messy now.

The bug also bothers me. It looks too cluttered with the time and temp, the HD logo, and the website.

I also wish KCNC used real video in their open and switched to Enforcer or the KOVR cut of the Pride Collection. There's a resync of KCNC's open with the Pride Collection on YouTube, and it actually works really nicely.

Other than those minor gripes, I think it's a good package. I love the full screen backdrop with the glassy CBS eye moving in a shade of royal blue. The package is simple enough that it fits a lot of stations easily.

I agree 100%. The Arial typeface just cheapens the standardized CBS O&O graphics. As long as they don't mess with WJZ...yet, I can dig that.

I agree 100%. The Arial typeface just cheapens the standardized CBS O&O graphics. As long as they don't mess with WJZ...yet' date=' I can dig that.[/quote']

The typeface/font is up to the individual station.. The O&O package was packaged with Arial (because WCBS is very fond of that font) but if a station wants to change it to Helvetica, they can freely do so on their own. Not every station is using the graphics the same way. I've noticed font usage differences in each station. WBBM seems to be using a mix of both fonts (Helvetica and Arial) actually.. Since the switch to the new O&O graphics package, WBBM has also brought back much of their previous pre-Hothaus graphics which used Helvetica.

I actually like the look, it works well and doesn't overwhelm the viewer. WCBS's cuts of the enforcer work great on 2 (and almost every other CBS that has switched except KCBS & CBS 11).

Though I'm very happy there not forcing it on the O&O's, WJZ would look so much with the look (not necessarily the music), they look so cheap, especially in HD.

I would love if KDKA tried some cuts of enforcer as well, mixed with what they have now.

Archived