WBBM adopts O&O package

news2chicago

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is, KCBS, KCNC, and KTVT all had bad packages, so switching to the mediocre WCBS package was a good move for all of them. WBBM, however, had a *good* package, and should not have switched.

Now, is there any chance anybody could upload the opens at some point? I could only ever find one video of the 2008 open.

This is disappointing.

This is just a shame. That is a lot of money wasted, a good look gone without enough respect. I really liked this package for some reason... a lot of unique takes on common elements, I think.

I wonder if these O&O graphics are coming to KDKA anytime soon... I see CBS is making another move toward standardization-- I just wish it wasn't with this look. I don't know if it's mainly made up of the original GO elements or if it's a look-alike, but it lacks the depth and clarity that the original WCBS package had and it's uninspired. I am not looking forward to it.

The thing is, KCBS, KCNC, and KTVT all had bad packages, so switching to the mediocre WCBS package was a good move for all of them. WBBM, however, had a *good* package, and should not have switched.

Now, is there any chance anybody could upload the opens at some point? I could only ever find one video of the 2008 open.

I can put something up later at 5. I can get them in (really crappy quality) SD here thanks to cable, but if the environment is acting correctly, I might be able to finally lock on to their OTA signal and get it in HD. If someone else who's closer can record it in HD that would be nice too...

I can put something up later at 5. I can get them in (really crappy quality) SD here thanks to cable, but if the environment is acting correctly, I might be able to finally lock on to their OTA signal and get it in HD. If someone else who's closer can record it in HD that would be nice too...

Thanks. I don't really care when they're up, I'd just appreciate seeing them eventually. I just thought it was really strange that

was the only video I could ever find of the 2008 open, and I never saw the 2008 open with Enforcer.

I figured this was coming.. They held out longer than expected but the only way they'll get "support" from the new centralized creative/graphics deal is to change to the new O&O package. That's pretty much how they're pushing this "standardization". If you wanna keep your old graphics, you're on your own creative/graphics-wise. As much as I liked the Hothaus graphics, I'm kind of glad they're parting ways with them because WBBM shared the same Hothaus stock photo/video library with WLS and many times, you'd see the same stock photos/videos being used on both stations.

I'm glad they're back to Enforcer but I'm not fond of the WCBS cuts. I would have liked the kick-ass rockin' New Generation 1 cuts again. But it's been only 1 newscast. We'll just have to wait and see what they have for the evening newscasts.

I say give it a little time. Don't expect what you see on-air today as the permanent look (especially the weather graphics). Give WBBM a little time to make their own tweeks/modification to them. The new graphic plastered on all the flat panel screens on the set are horrible. I'd expect to see that changed soon. I'm pretty sure they're going to change all the plastic lightbox panels around the set since they don't match the new graphics either. The wallpaper matching the Hothaus package on the columns in the studio will most likely remain. They went back to 3 sided triangle mic flags.. Something they haven't done since 2003.

The new graphics are really a combination of WCBS's previous GO's and WBBM's former 2006ish-2008 look. It would have transitioned better if they were going from their previous pre-2008 Hothaus look to the new O&O look. Really, when you think of it, ALOT of creative money was wasted 2 years ago at WBBM. Graphics that were expected to last 5+ years at the station only being used for 2, a completely new full-musician (non-synthesized) music package, and a "Heart of Chicago" image song package that never even made it on air..

Really, when you think of it, ALOT of creative money was wasted 2 years ago at WBBM. Graphics that were expected to last 5+ years at the station only being used for 2, a completely new full-musician (non-synthesized) music package, and a "Heart of Chicago" image song package that never even made it on air..

Don't forget the set they decided to start using only portions of.

I say give it a little time. Don't expect what you see on-air today as the permanent look (especially the weather graphics). Give WBBM a little time to make their own tweeks/modification to them.

I don't know about that. Some bits and pieces of KCNC's old graphics (particularly the use of the Gotham typeface) never went away even after the GO graphics were adopted two months ago.

The new graphic plastered on all the flat panel screens on the set are horrible. I'd expect to see that changed soon. I'm pretty sure they're going to change all the plastic lightbox panels around the set since they don't match the new graphics either.

I could be wrong, but I doubt they will make any set changes. None of the other stations have.

1_0721_H16M59_CH2_0.jpg

They're using Enforcer again. :/

And here you can see the monitors in the studio. They should put the logo on it...

1_0721_H17M03_CH2_1.jpg

EDIT: "Monsters and Money in the Morning" seems to be still using their original graphics, according to a promo for tomorrow's show that aired.

I don't know about that. Some bits and pieces of KCNC's old graphics (particularly the use of the Gotham typeface) never went away even after the GO graphics were adopted two months ago.

I could be wrong, but I doubt they will make any set changes. None of the other stations have.

Trust me.. Some former "co-workers" I still talk to every so often are still there. I was specifically told they plan on making a few changes.. Not alot but enough to making the new look all fit together including plus some lighting changes. Most likely will be done by Chicago Scenic. A slight customization of the the weather graphics similiar to what KCBS did is what's on call. They just wanted to throw the new graphics in right when another station in town made some graphic changes and debut.

WBBM is still using alot of the transition effects from the Hothaus package, especially with the lower third popping in and out. They reverted back to the fonts used between 2004-2008. Now that I see the new look more, I'm liking it more. I think it's a nice crisp refresh and they're using them to their potential.

@LNJ Well, good for WBBM then. KCNC did the bare minimum with the graphics, and they didn't do anything to their set. I'm glad to hear WBBM is at least making an effort to make these new graphics look nice on themselves.

EDIT: Weeters, I see you just posted that. The open isn't so bad. The only thing that looks odd about it is that the CBS eye doesn't reveal a new city shot when it spins. And what's with that crazy camera leading into the OTS?

I agree what char615 said. The open isn't so bad. Too bad "Heart of the City" (a great package) didn't last long. Thank you' date=' CBS...[/quote']

The open really isn't bad.. It beats the hard open they've been using since early/mid 2009. It's interesting how they went back to using the Enforcer NG1 closing music that they used previous to switching to Heart of our City in 2008.

Heart of our City is a great package (the way it was made, the REAL instrumentation, etc.); however, it wasn't really WBBM.. It wasn't very popular at the station or with management. It's was just blah. I think it's the signature that made the package blah. If they would have had the WBBM signature incorporated into the package, it would have been an awesome package. Plus, we can't forget the image song that went along with the package that nobody ever heard. lol..

I agree what char615 said. The open isn't so bad. Too bad "Heart of the City" (a great package) didn't last long. Thank you' date=' CBS...[/quote']

I would'nt be suprised if CBS does this to all or almost of their O&O's that have Newscasts, but if this is the case, they should have the other O&O use either different versions of Enforcer or let them continue the use of thier respective packages. I think if the other O&O's use the same version of Enforcer that WCBS uses, It just would'nt make sense at all.

I would'nt be suprised if CBS does this to all or almost of their O&O's that have Newscasts, but if this is the case, they should have the other O&O use either different versions of Enforcer or let them continue the use of thier respective packages. I think if the other O&O's use the same version of Enforcer that WCBS uses, It just would'nt make sense at all.

KCNC kept Newstime and KTVT must've considered keeping their former package, so switching to Enforcer appears to be optional with these graphics...

No, CBS isn't mandating the music. The stations can still choose their music, what versions of it to use, and what cuts to use. It just happens that Enforcer NG2 seems to fit these graphics the best. The CBS O&O's already have the exclusive rights to the Enforcer package whether they use it or not. It's the same deal as the ABC O&O's having exclusivity to the ABC O&O Collection (Eyewitness News/NS2000+). So you'll more likely be seeing CBS O&O stations that aren't using Enforcer switching to it because it would save the individual station alot on music costs.

I love how KCNC doesn't care about their presentation.

I keep hoping they go back to Newsmusic Central for a new package but that won't happen, given the station's penchant for being generic.

As I posted earlier, it appears they're keeping their old look.

I don't see why they wouldn't keep it being that the graphics for Monsters & Money graphics were done in-house.. Plus, it's a show unique to the Chicago market so there would be no sense in their centralized creative shop to make a completely new set of graphics for them. If you look close enough, it contains a mash-up of the Hothaus and pre-2008 graphics with a little sprinkle of elements from their 2000-01 graphics package.

Archived