Why can't we have our own VIPIR?

WGN9fan

http://www.baronservices.com/solutions/public_safety/mobile_threat_net.php

http://www.baronservices.com/solutions/public_safety/threat_net.php

From the same people who made the VIPIR software. For a significant fee, stations will let you use the data stream off their radar if you ask nicely (Presuming they have a Baron radar).

Hey, if you have several thousand dollars laying around (and when I say several thousand, I mean it) and want to sign a contract, go right ahead. They'll even come down and do an install for you. But you also need a data processing computer to go along with it...

I don't think it's worth it for watching the spinning line from a NWS radar update every 7 minutes (on Level II reflectivity, I think).

If you want the full effect and want to hook it up to your TV, you're going to need a ScanDo and possibly a D-to-A.

VIPIR is nothing more than a trademarked and branded algorithm developed by Baron to make the WSR-88D (aka NWS NexRad) data look "pretty" on-air.

The ability to pan and zoom and switch between reflectivity, storm relative velocity (to diagnose rotation), etc is built into the program for better user control. Beyond that, there really is nothing special about VIPIR. The data is provided free from the National Weather Service and then run through the proprietary Baron algorithm and dispatched as a data packet to subscribing stations.

Gibson Ridge software provides basically the same thing, aside from the running it through the algorithm. You can change the color tables (how the reflectivity, etc displays) to personalize as well as add background "maps" available for download from GRlevelxstuff.com (among others).

Archived