HD USB Stick Tuners?

13WHAMfan

I've been looking for an HD Computer Tuner for a while now that I could use to record both digital signals via antenna and also from my analog satellite receiver box. I am having trouble finding one that isn't extremely expensive, one that will work on a PC and Mac (I'm getting a Macbook Pro this August because I'm going off to college this Fall), and one that has the option of using either coaxial or composite cables.

I've seen EyeTV, which seems good, but it is pretty expensive and also you have to have Media Center for Windows, and I'm also not sure if it will work for Windows XP.

If no one else has any suggestions for this, I may just break down and get EyeTV and just wait for when I get my Mac... but the best case scenario would be for one that works on both PC (Windows XP Home Edition) and Mac.

Thanks for your help in advance!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have purchased USB tuners several for Windows:

Hauppauge 950Q (NTSC/ATSC/Clear QAM/Composite)

Diamond TV Wonder 750U (ATSC/Clear QAM/Composite/NTSC-PAL/DVB-T)

KWorld PlusTV UB-435Q (ATSC/Clear QAM)

KWorld PlusTV 330U (NTSC/ATSC/Clear QAM/Composite)

ATI TV Wonder 650 (NTSC/ATSC/composite- dual tuner): only works in Windows Vista

PCTV 520e (PAL/SECAM/DVB-T/DVB-C/Composite)

My favorite is the Diamond 750U - it's reliable, provides good captures, and. Plus it handles DVB-T (digital TV standard in Europe, Australia, and much of the eastern hemisphere. The software is basic, but it does what I Need it to: capture

Runner up is the Hauppauge 950Q - it does run hot, and didn't like my Sony laptop (but then Windows doesn't really like my Sony laptop). The software let's you tune specific channels and filter out encrypted QAM.

As an alternative, you may want to consider the Silicon Dust HD Home Run. Although not USB, it does work with both Macs and PCs - and if you have digital cable, there's a version that works with your cable company's cable card (with 3 built-in tuners) that let's you access encrypted QAM on your computer as an MPEG file (you don't have to re-encode it-unless you want to change the format). I use this at home for capturing HD from cable.

The last item on my list came from my trip to Germany last year - the hotel I was staying at had a block downconversion of one of the satellites DVB-S to DVB-C, so I was able to access nearly ever local station in the country (ARD, ZDF, and nearly all of the regional 3rd channels- BR, SWR, MDR, NDR, WDR, SR, RBB, etc.), plus several other stations from the Netherlands, France, Spain and Italy - but no BBC on the system). The DVB-T stick didn't see anything, so I went shopping at the local Saturn store and voila, lots of channels! (and lots of newscasts!).

If you can get the HD Home Run, I'd recommend it - but it's not portable, otherwise the Diamond TV Wonder 750U if you can find it.

KWorlds were my first ones - they work, but are just "OK".

Jim

Archived