WGN Evening News from the newsroom?

Spring Rubber

I've only caught a few glimpses of the WGN Evening News in the past few weeks, but it seems like they're doing the whole newscast standing up in the newsroom now. This reminds me of NBC 5's failed 4 PM news a few years ago.

• 4 weeks later...
I just wish WGN would get a more HD-friendly set. Their current one looks old and tired.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new set in the works. The studio set was a recent topic of management discussion..

The newsroom needs some updating too.. Alot of what you see in the newsroom still dates from the '90s (especially all the TV monitors in there). Many of the fluorescent light fixtures on the ceiling too no longer work and need to be replaced. Well, actually, all of them do since they all still use the old T-12 fluorescent bulbs which will no longer be produced by the major light bulb manufacturers (Philips, Sylvania, and GE) within the next couple years.. (T-8 has been the standard since 1995 and T-5 is slowly becoming the new standard but is still on the expensive side) Production has already ended on the old 96 inch fluorescent tubes (both T-12 and T-8) so places that still use them will have to change out their light fixtures in the near future.

A new set? They just got their current one about 5 years ago...what's wrong with it? I think it's fine. They had their previous one for over 10 years, seems like it would be a waste of money to purchase a new one. Maybe instead, invest it in the newsroom, which is also newer

A new set? They just got their current one about 5 years ago...what's wrong with it? I think it's fine. They had their previous one for over 10 years, seems like it would be a waste of money to purchase a new one. Maybe instead, invest it in the newsroom, which is also newer

I may have worded that wrong. Not a completely new set.. Just a revamp with some new lighting installed, colors, and possibly a new desk. The barebones structure would remain. I personally would like to see the floor replaced with a black floor. And also like mentioned earlier, making the set a little more HD-friendly.

The newsroom mostly isn't that new other than the paint and some minor decor type changes. The lighting (not on-air TV lighting but the actual work lighting) system is bad plus the room needs to be reconfigured for CLTV. Things were just kind of squeezed in there when CLTV moved in. Plus there's too many mismatched furniture/chairs in there.

I may have worded that wrong. Not a completely new set.. Just a revamp with some new lighting installed, colors, and possibly a new desk. The barebones structure would remain. I personally would like to see the floor replaced with a black floor. And also like mentioned earlier, making the set a little more HD-friendly.

The newsroom mostly isn't that new other than the paint and some minor decor type changes. The lighting (not on-air TV lighting but the actual work lighting) system is bad plus the room needs to be reconfigured for CLTV. Things were just kind of squeezed in there when CLTV moved in. Plus there's too many mismatched furniture/chairs in there.

Barebones?

You mean those Who wants to be a Millionaire-ish lights in the studio?

I highly doubt those are load-bearing...

Dsc_5211d80sm6.jpg

What Lazy is talking about is the backdrop/lightboxes. Everything that's purple or blue and a picture would be replaced with his idea. There might be some changes in the rest, but the basic design of the set would stay.

Oh, wow. Some washed out purple pictures of Chicago is their set? Glad I didn't see that when I was there.

I like the "washed up purple pictures". I'm guessing you don't watch WGN News...

No, I don't live in Chicago. I'll admit it looks better in that cap Weeters posted, but I'd agree with Lazynetjunkie that the set could at least use an update.

But what do I know— that set isn't in my market.

No, I don't live in Chicago. I'll admit it looks better in that cap Weeters posted, but I'd agree with Lazynetjunkie that the set could at least use an update.

It's made by the same people who made CBS' "The NFL Today" set.

The KUSA set, an ugly one, however, is in your market (and mine).

And WGN9fan, are you trying to say that the WGN set is good solely based on who designed/constructed it? I personally don't mind the set, it's better than the Denver stations.

Its good, I just want it to be more HD-friendly.

Generally speaking, the only time someone considers a set not HD-friendly is if you often see things you shouldn't in a shot. Like this:

lrg-1805-snapshot_j_20080811_0014.jpg

You can clearly see a door. Something you really wouldn't see in SD since it's mostly in the 16:9 area.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "HD Friendly".

You can clearly see a door. Something you really wouldn't see in SD since it's mostly in the 16:9 area.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "HD Friendly".

yeesh. This was in 2008; did they ever get a set update?

EDIT: Never mind. I just looked it up on youtube. Looks like they got a much better set.

Ok. And it wouldn't hurt for WGN to have a Titan or Omni weather system. Their "3D radar" won't cut it.

I believe WGN's "3D Radar" is the Titan system... They don't have to use the software name in the branding.

Archived