WPIX Dumping Jim Watkins

Geoffrey

Okay....how much do you want to bet that Bill Carey is going to hire Larry Mendte now to co-anchor with Kaity. It is such a shame to see Jim go. I have always thought of him as being a class act journalist and the team of Kaity and Jim as one of the best in the city. Best of luck to him and I hope he can find work here in New York.

Shocking indeed. Kaity and Jim have the best chemistry of all the stations. The article did say that there is a possibility of WPIX reaching a new agreement with Watkins. I hope they do.

If not, could the new anchor be the new guy anchoring the 4:30am slot with Tamsen recently?

Who IS that new guy anchoring in the too-early morning?

And not only is Watkins' contract not renewed, they've also fired WPIX/Channel 11 president and general manager Betty Ellen Berlamino, who brought Jim on board after he was canned by WNBC.

This is a bad day at PIX.

Well if the article is carefully read, WPIX and Jim are negotiating ways to extend his contract, so it is possible that Jim may likely remain with WPIX. So there is still a chance that he may not leave at all. Jim along with Kaity are the pinnacle anchors of the station, I like Jim's personality along with Kaity's and they've helped shape the station for many years, it would suck to see one of them leave. I don't watch WPIX but when I do, I'm not ever short of amazed when watching that team, they are miles better than Ernie and Dari.

Lets not forget who the News Director here is. Its Bill Carey, the man responsible for the WCBS-TV bloodbath in October of 1996, firing Michele Marsh, John Johnson, Bernie Smilovitz, Magee Hickey, Reggie Harris and others. If you look at newspaper articles from the day after the firings, there is someobdy quoted that says that this is what Carey does, goes from station to station and fires people. Why did WPIX hire this guy anyway?

Who IS that new guy anchoring in the too-early morning?

And not only is Watkins' contract not renewed, they've also fired WPIX/Channel 11 president and general manager Betty Ellen Berlamino, who brought Jim on board after he was canned by WNBC.

This is a bad day at PIX.

i dont know that new guys name and i dont know if you have seen him but he is annoying as hell!! Craig Treadway was much better and much more professional

Well if the article is carefully read, WPIX and Jim are negotiating ways to extend his contract, so it is possible that Jim may likely remain with WPIX. So there is still a chance that he may not leave at all.

The thread title should be edited or have a question mark put after it.

Well if the article is carefully read, WPIX and Jim are negotiating ways to extend his contract, so it is possible that Jim may likely remain with WPIX. So there is still a chance that he may not leave at all. Jim along with Kaity are the pinnacle anchors of the station, I like Jim's personality along with Kaity's and they've helped shape the station for many years, it would suck to see one of them leave. I don't watch WPIX but when I do, I'm not ever short of amazed when watching that team, they are miles better than Ernie and Dari.

Actually, if you read the article carefully, it says that it's possible WPIX and Jim could reach a new agreement. New agreement means new contract, not an extension as you say.

i dont know that new guys name and i dont know if you have seen him but he is annoying as hell!! Craig Treadway was much better and much more professional

Maybe so, but this new guy is much more attractive....

And I've seen him - he's the one anchoring the 10th Anniversary clips up on YouTube

Actually, if you read the article carefully, it says that it's possible WPIX and Jim could reach a new agreement. New agreement means new contract, not an extension as you say.

Well, yeah, extending, vs. new contract implies that he's extending his stay at WPIX.. Which is the whole idea.

Well, yeah, extending, vs. new contract implies that he's extending his stay at WPIX.. Which is the whole idea.

You originally said extending his contract, not extending his stay. The article says they can reach a NEW agreement, which means new contract. Legally speaking, those are two completely different things. But in the end, you're right, it would result in an extension of his stay.

• 1 month later...

They've been doing this quite often. If either were off, usually Peter or Jackie would sub, that is no longer the case. I prefer it this way, as I really don't care for Peter or Jackie, no offense to them.

I thought I saw Jim anchoring last night (Wednesday) - solo?

It's the same over at NBC - if Chuck or Sue is off, the other will anchor solo.

I think we're seeing the beginning of the end of the two-person anchor desk - it's certainly cheaper for the station. WCBS and WNBC both do it on the weekends.

Archived