CBS Returns to Small-Market Station...sort of

WAVY 10 Fan

Ottumwa and Kirksville should still receive KCCI and WHO on cable, satellite and may even pick up their OTA signal. KTVO won't have full control of the market.

Wow, I can't believe the market I go to college in made it to this forum. Yeah, basically the Kirksville/Ottumwa market consists of KTVO for ABC and KYOU for Fox. We get our NBC and CBS affilates via cable. Here in Kirksville we get KHQA (owned by the same folks as KTVO) out of Quincy, IL as well as KCTV out of Kansas City. North of the Missouri/Iowa border people get KCCI out of Des Moines.

As far as satellite is concerned, our market is too small for Dish or Directv to carry KTVO and KYOU. So since we don't have a NBC or CBS affilate, people can get the distant network NBC and CBS stations out of New York but have to use an antenna to get ABC and FOX from KTVO and KYOU respectively. That's just my two cents here in market 200.

• 2 weeks later...
Ottumwa and Kirksville should still receive KCCI and WHO on cable, satellite and may even pick up their OTA signal. KTVO won't have full control of the market.

Can't KTVO apply to have this new CBS sub-channel receive must-carry status in the market, thereby knocking KCTV and KHQA off the Cable ONE system in Kirksville? I thought this has happened in other markets where a sub has picked up one of the major networks...

I wonder if you remember my former co-anchor, Tracy Crockett, who was the weekend anchor there for two years.

Definitely not.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't KTVO apply to have this new CBS sub-channel receive must-carry status in the market, thereby knocking KCTV and KHQA off the Cable ONE system in Kirksville? I thought this has happened in other markets where a sub has picked up one of the major networks...

So you've been to Kirksville too I see?

I've checked out the program guide on KTVO's website and I've noticed that it's basically a rebroadcast of KHQA's signal. That makes sense because KHQA's coverage shrunk quite a bit during the DTV conversion and people around Kirksville weren't able to pick up KHQA. So I guess KTVO is just using their digital subchannel to rebroadcast KHQA to the areas that can't pick it up. Also take into fact that KHQA and KTVO are both owned by Barrington Broadcasting.

Here's the program guide for KTVO and the new CBS subchannel

http://www.heartlandconnection.com/entertainment/schedule.aspx

Archived