New CBS 2 Logo?

Geoffrey

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So graphics are the main reason why WBZ has viewers?

No, but for the most part, good graphics do a lot for a station's image.

And I wouldn't stop watching a station because of graphics unless they were so ugly that they distract and detract from the broadcast, like the new CBS graphics are.

Graphics make the newscast, DUH. You should know this with your fancy [st]Tristan Bresnen[/st] FIFTEENHUNDRED graphics.

They're nice to have when you can - we're very lucky to look as good as we do in market 151 - but if we had graphics made in-house like most stations our size, I think people would still watch for our content.

Many will disagree with me here, but thats just my thoughts on it.

Just going to throw this one out there...

Courtesy_WABC_NY_-_Millburn%20Fire.jpg

Uggggggglllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

I remember that I was able to mock up these graphics in a total of 45 minutes using GIMP. And I sucked at graphics at that time.

Couldn't agree with you more there. They look like they were made by a middle-school student who was just starting to try their hand at making graphics. And they definitely seem out of place in New York. KUSA in Denver used to have ugly, gaudy graphics, but they, like WABC, were (and still are) the market leader. I'm not trying to say that people watch a newscast solely for graphics, though.

^^^

I think all of the Denver stations have pretty boring and unoriginal graphics. They're all dark and navy blue. All of the Denver stations looked a lot better in the late 90's/early 2000's when they had some more creativity and originality.

But to bring this post back on-topic, I've concluded that despite all of the issues with the new CBS O&O package and KCNC's mismatching set, I think this is a *slight* improvement for KCNC. Not much; just *slight*.

Agreed. At least there is some cohesion on KCNC now when it comes to their on-air look.

I'm starting to not like their old graphics more and more. Their attempts to mimic WBZ's minimalism (while switching out Interstate for Gotham) with other elements (such as those gaudy backgrounds on the full screen graphics) did not work much, and by the end of that look's run, any cohesion was falling apart.

KCNC's Twitter page still has the old graphics in the background.

From what I've seen, it seems that some stations use the graphics better than others, such as Denver, although it is very similar to the other Denver stations, their graphics are well executed and look better than CBS 2 here in New Yok.

So now I think we know about what's going on with CBS' O&Os graphics-wise, through FTVLive.

Essentially, the CSD for WCBS, Bruce Erik Bauer, has become the CSD director for the entire station group, while retaining the same position at WCBS. I've highlighted the important parts.

Brauer, who has served as Vice President, Creative Services, WCBS-TV, since June 2007, will be responsible for overseeing the marketing, on-air promotion, graphics, radio-outdoor-print advertising and scenic, music and audio design initiatives for the 29 local television stations that are owned by CBS.

Brauer will work closely with the station group’s local creative services directors to facilitate better communication within the group, share best practices, improve workflow and develop graphics packages and on-air promotional campaigns that can be used by multiple stations to create cost efficiencies. He will also be the station group’s liaison with the CBS Marketing Group.

Brauer, who will continue to head the award-winning creative services team at WCBS-TV, will work with the group’s stations to develop and expand in-house, full service advertising agencies similar to the successful unit at WCBS-TV that he has created. Under the leadership of Dunn (who has been the President and General Manager at the network’s flagship station since 2005) and Brauer, CBS 2 launched a “Print to Motion” initiative at the station during the summer of 2008 that targets clients that previously have not advertised on television. The “Print to Motion” unit pre-produces television spots based on ads that have appeared in print, online and on other platforms which allows the station’s sales team to approach prospective new clients with a finished commercial already in hand.

“In the four-and-a-half years that Bruce has worked for WCBS-TV, he has done an incredible job of redefining the value of what a creative services team contributes to a station’s success,” said Dunn. “He is clearly one of the most talented and creative people in our industry and we are thrilled to have him taking on the additional responsibility of working with all of our stations.”

Notice the highlighted portions above - and the bit I also underlined. Packages. PLURAL. I don't think it would be plural if they were going to standardize the whole chain. Now, granted, this could mean "one package for the CBS stations, one package for our CW stations, one package for the indies", but since most of the CW/Independent stations are duopoly operations using the graphics of their big brother, I don't think so.

It also seems like they're not going to cut. "Create cost efficiencies," yes. But they didn't say something like "we're going to operate newscast graphics out of our station in Miami" or something like that. In fact, if anything it looks like they're going to expand the responsibilities of the local Creative Services departments.

I hope they don't mess with WBZ's creative department!

They have some of the best promos in the country, in my opinion, and I love their look.

They post their promos online in case anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wbztv

I doubt that. Did you see WCBS's copy of WBZ's "Bacon" commercial? Maurice DuBois has nothing on Robi.

WBZ's original:

WCBS's copy:

I doubt that. Did you see WCBS's copy of WBZ's "Bacon" commercial? Maurice DuBois has nothing on Robi.

WBZ's original:

WCBS's copy:

Did you see the uproar when WCBS pulled their bacon promo?

Did you see the uproar when WCBS pulled their bacon promo?

Huh? Did vegetarians, Jews, and/or Muslims complain or something? Or is this a case of a WCBS reporter trying to be cheeky? I can't tell...

KCNC does promos with the white background, but AFAIK they didn't have a "bacon" promo. They seem like Tightass No-Fun anyway. Funny/personable promos are KUSA's department.

Have you seen the new KCNC promo for the morning newscast? It's just a bunch of random people around town shouting "Traffic and Weather on the CBS4 Morning News!" intercut with Lynn Carey and Jennifer Zepplin making goofy faces. It's terrible. I'll try to record it and put it onto YouTube.

EDIT: Here it is:

I messed around on paint real quick (excuse the slobby job) but what about doing something like how I have the HD inside the "2" ... makes it look less awkward, no?

(the version I did would of course be modified to look better, etc... just wanted to get the general point across)

Love that idea of yours...how about this take?

1238608264_cbs2hdnymaincrx.jpg.b223195f12e9e9915609dbfe6e7bfea7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived